I Love Physics

Started by fugibo, September 05, 2009, 10:37:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fugibo

Despite the fact that all the teachers suck at it, I do love the subject.

Here's my favorite problem so far:
Problem: ShowHide

A physics student holds a 2.40-kg block against a wall by pressing on it perpendicularly to the wall. Find the minimum force she must exert if the coefficient of static friction is µs  = 0.32.

My Answer: ShowHide

The force of gravity on the block is 2.4 * 9.8, or 23.52, Newtons. To hold the block, there must be a net vertical force of zero on the object; therefore, she must produce enough force for their to be at least 23.52N of friction on the object. Since µs is 0.32, then it's just the equation 23.52 = 0.32 * Fnormal. Solve for Fnormal to find the force she is exerting and you get ~73-74. So I pick the multiple choice answer around that :P

See? Even I suck at explaining this crap.

Subsonic_Noise

I had a quite awesome physics teacher 2 years ago. His classes always were like comedy shows, and I still learned alot.
I was one of the best back then, actually. Then we got a new teacher. I got two marks worse that year.
[/offtopic]

fugibo

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on September 05, 2009, 10:43:20 am
I had a quite awesome physics teacher 2 years ago. His classes always were like comedy shows, and I still learned alot.
I was one of the best back then, actually. Then we got a new teacher. I got two marks worse that year.
[/offtopic]

@topics = [ :physics, :teachers, :classes, :awesome, :math, :physics_in_general ]
@topics.include? :teachers # true
@topics.include? :physics # true
@topics.include? :classes # true

It's kinda like poetry, in its own, special way...

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Longfellow on September 05, 2009, 11:28:53 am
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on September 05, 2009, 10:43:20 am
[/offtopic]

@topics = [ :physics, :teachers, :classes, :awesome, :math, :physics_in_general ]
@topics.include? :teachers # true
@topics.include? :physics # true
@topics.include? :classes # true

It's kinda like poetry, in its own, special way...

Oh alright, I thought that problem should be the topic. But yeah, I still like physics, it's awesome. :3 I still have the same teacher this year, but she somehow got better at explaining things. xD

winkio

My honors mechanics class is hilariously intense.  We went from F=ma to the second order DE of simple harmonic oscillators in about 25 minutes XD.  Physics is the best science though (of the big three: bio, chem, and phys).

Blizzard

Physics died in college for me. That was the time when we had to learn the mathematical statements and that was pretty much all that there is to it. You could say that I had a B without knowing the slightest anything about physics. All that I knew were the statements from memory. This is the most idiotic way to learn physics and to grade knowledge about physics that I have ever encountered.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

fugibo

Quote from: Blizzard on September 06, 2009, 04:48:58 am
Physics died in college for me. That was the time when we had to learn the mathematical statements and that was pretty much all that there is to it. You could say that I had a B without knowing the slightest anything about physics. All that I knew were the statements from memory. This is the most idiotic way to learn physics and to grade knowledge about physics that I have ever encountered.

Yeah, I don't really see a way to incorporate physics into a curriculum correctly - it'd be like having a class dedicated to jigsaw puzzles and electrocuting yourself.

Diokatsu