[XP] Temp Save v2.1

Started by Fantasist, February 24, 2008, 05:02:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

Right...
And tell me this, which is better? a global hash or lots of global variables? If you used something like $blizzard_scripts = {}
instead of one global (of float kind) for each script... I think a global hash is a bad idea, by the way it works, it takes longer(and takes up more RAM?), right? I'm asking this cause I somehow don't like too many globals...
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

Hashes are good if you have lots of data. If I used hash for like 100 scripts, then it would still be a waste of time. I rather have a couple of globals to easify things so people don't have to check whether the global hash is there and then check whether a specific script is installed. You can use it if you want, I won't.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fantasist

Okay, so I've learnt another lesson on hashes. ty as always :)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Hadeki

January 18, 2009, 02:46:22 am #23 Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:33:18 am by Hadeki
Is it possible for me to use this in my game, but, like, shift the scripting around and change some terms and stuff? I'll still give credit to you though.
I separated the Scene_Title class into two scenes and it would take a little bit of tweeking of this script for it to work out. I know exactly how I'll do it though.

EDIT.
Is there a way to bring up a message and choice confirming the temporary save option when you select "Save" from the menu before the same file is created?
Also, how would I go about fading the screen to black and fading out the background music and sounds, then showing a "Temporary save file created" message right before it sends the player back to the title screen?

Fantasist

January 18, 2009, 04:18:08 am #24 Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:14:16 am by Fantasist
QuoteIs there a way to bring up a message and choice confirming the temporary save option when you select "Save" from the menu before the same file is created?
Also, how would I go about fading the screen to black and fading out the background music and sounds, then showing a "Temporary save file created" message right before it sends the player back to the title screen?

I made a window class for confirmation and message displaying. I don't remember if it's included in this script, but it's there in Chaos Project Save Layout. I'm already late with updating this, so I'll do it now with the features you mentioned.

EDIT: Updated to version 2.0: Complete overhaul and major compatability improvement ;)

Hadeki

Okay, thaaaaaaaaaaaaank you a lot for this. I really appreciate it.
But I have one last question: is there a way to have three rows of text or more for the confirmation message? (The one for when you save from the menu.) My confirmation message is a little long. I guess it's not that important though...

Fantasist

More than one line, huh? It can be done with some coding but I'd like to avoid it. I can script the feature to put a background picture during the messages so it's not just black. Will that be okay?

Hadeki

Well, it's okay. If you don't want to do it then it's fine. I have sort of asked to do, like, five hundred things in the last few days. This script is fine as it is, thank you.

Fantasist

Don't mention it :) I WILL implement the multi-line feature, but not now. Glad you like it :)

PS: And seriously, I don't think there are many similar scripts taking this approach. Its compatiblity is impressive for this type of script (I think :shy:)

Reno-s--Joker

You probably don't need me to tell you that this is good! :haha:

Thanks for making this script - I'll probably find it very useful. <3

Fantasist

G_G

awesome script fant!

I might use this in an upcoming rpg afer my star wars game is done.

*powers up*

Reno-s--Joker

I just tested this out today - I love how simple it is! :D This works really well with limited save points too - sometimes it's hard to get to the next one if you're playing for only a short while at a time... >.<

:haha: Lol... you're almost going to take up as much of the credits as Blizzard is atm... :xD: Once again, awesome script. <333

Fantasist

Updated to version 2.1:

- Fixed bugs
- Added Disable Prompt option