Nox Aeterna: Demo V.4(File size decreased)

Started by Daxisheart, February 01, 2009, 12:17:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxisheart

February 01, 2009, 12:17:28 am Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:33:41 pm by Daxisheart
Nox Aeterna: The Eternal Night

About: ShowHide
Nox Aeterna is a darkly dramatic rpg game that details the various travels of Ravus, a mysterious individual. Ravus traverses many lands, throughout the entire known world of Aesikoru... and beyond.

In the end, he will learn that innocence is only an ideal of man.

Characters: ShowHide

Ravus
Race: Fallen
The main protaganist of Nox Aeterna. A mysterious youth, he is constantly wandering to wherever, for purposes unknown. He is a pure-blooded Fallen, his eyes and hair distinguishing him from the rest. Past, present and future unknown, it is unclear who he is, what he intends to do, and why he has such a freaking huge sword.

Zogue
Race: Fallen
Zogue is quite the charismatic guy. Silent, he wanders around just like Ravus. However, his wanderings aren't meaningless... It seems there is a clear path for him to tread, a clear reason why he sharpens his spear...

Kaiser:
Race: Human(?)
Kaiser is somewhat a shy, easily embarrassed girl. Although deadly with a katana, she is rather clumsy without. Her best friend in the world is Ziegfried, and joins with Ravus purely because Ziegfried did. However, maybe she isn't who you think she is...

Celes
Race: Human
Celes is a specialized knight, her rapier enchanted by the most poweful magicks. A bit silent and melancholy, she would rather act than talk. She seems to know Rydia.

Rydia
Race: Human-Fallen
Rydia is a very fun loving character. When the occasion calls for it, she can be seductive and mature, but otherwise, she would much rather have fun. She is rather adept at magic. She seems to know Celes. Despite her fun nature, she can often get serious, especially when it comes to issues with the Fallen...

Ziegfried
Ziegfried is Kaiser's Best friend. He travels with Zogue and Ravus for vengeance on those that killed his parents, and, despite his protests, Kaiser comes along with him. Nice but serious, he is rather smart. Somewhat of a thief.

Gladiator:
A fun guy, really. Tries to joke around a little too much. Caring, he'll do anything for the greater good, to protect the ones he love. Also, for some reason, never wears a shirt.

Story: ShowHide
Aesikoru is the world in which Nox Aeterna exists in. It is composed of two main continents, Ademna and Haspione. The ruling country of Ademna is called Ademna itself, and Haspione is split into two countries, Hesperitia and Bel-Sent.

There are two main races of Aesikoru. Humans are the Majority, and the race of the Fallen. Fallen are those with silver hair or eyes, the pure-blooded having both.

It is said that the Fallen come from three fallen angel, that bred with humans to create the fallen known today. Whether this is true or not, Fallen are typically stronger, faster, and generally have much more magical abilities.

Bel-Sent is the fallen word for "Fallen."

There also may be a third evanescent race. These people are generally described in myths and legends.

They are called Descenders, those with heavenly wings on their backs.

The Fallen are highly prosecuted in this world. About 250 years ago, the continent of Haspione had a great split, due to the many prosecutions on the Fallen, and thus Haspione harbored two countries, Bel-Sent and Hesperitia. Although tensions had cooled in the following 200 years, a great Fallen leader, Razial, had rallied up the Fallen people, and fought to take back the homeland of the Fallen, located in Hesperitia.

They lost.

Tensions built up again. The Fallen now dye their hair and hide their eyes, for fear of what people might do. The homeland of the Fallen is violated by the touch of the humans. And a great new leader of the Fallen are arising, Markus, and he is rallying everyone up again. Hesperitia is getting agitated, and minor border skirmishes are breaking out.

Meanwhile, in Ademna, the democratic kingdom does not know exactly what to do. Do they help the Fallen? Do they ignore any incoming war? Hesperitia is dangerously close and large... If the Hesperities won, would they be satisfied with just Bel-Sent?

And, even as these events go on, an organization in the shadow slowly arises, unknown to the world until it is too late. To them, the incoming war is the same as ants scurrying around. Their mission is so much greater...

And for some reason, everyone wants to join Ravus on his travels. Go figure.

Screenshots: ShowHide

Downloads: ShowHide

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OF4GXRD5
Demo v.4, at least an hour of solid gameplay

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4JSV4Y9T
This is demo v.3, 20-30 minutes simple gameplay

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UNAL3KIW
This is the intro-demo V.3, there is no game play

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4O4KJABB
This is the font file, Black Chancery

features: ShowHide
Animated Battlers
Extended cutscenes
Cutscene for title
Cutscene battles
Full MP3 Soundtrack
Screen Capture(F8)
8 Directional pixel movement plus dashing
Animated boss deaths
Completely customated battlebacks
Limit Breaks
Literally hundreds of weapons, items, armors, and skills
Custom Messaging System
New items/weapons/menu/shop screen
Party changing system
Individual battle commands
Light effects
remodeled damage display
Deep storyline and dark storytelling
More to be added

Author's note: ShowHide
Author's note:
At least hour of quality gameplay
The features show is what the final project will be, not the demo.
Press spacebar in order to dash

YES!!! I KNOW THAT 80MB IS FREAKING HUGE! Sorry, I'm simply using full mp3 sountrack

Forgot in credits:
Kylelee1234 for the rydia/celes battlers

Forum signaturebar: ShowHide
Well, I was bored, and who cares? When I get a chance, I'll do it over.
"Oh hey look godless stuff": ShowHide
What is really, really interesting is that while Abrahamic Christians give so much importance to their own free will, by their very definition of their God they deprive Him of free will.
The concept that He is not human and thus not derive the same morals as us really does not work. If his idea of morality, good or evil, is beyond us, is beyond our comprehension, why should we care? If he judges that not saving a woman from being raped a murdered a moral decision, then we should still trust him?
god i am such an atheist asshole.

I am on such a coolkid atheist rampage this week.

Aqua

February 01, 2009, 12:28:03 am #1 Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:29:19 am by Aqua
My (and a little bit of Star's) thoughts on this.

The beginning is... brutally honest.  Too tired to type it out in my normal Aqua way though; sorry!
I'm not too sure if this post is constructive... lol

Spoiler: ShowHide
QuoteAqua    *red+u says:
that's a really ugly (and big) logo for Nox Aeterna
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
It's probably a title screen or something and not a real logo
Aqua    *red+u says:
still ugly
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
so are you
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
BURNNNBN
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
;v
Aqua    *red+u says:
that first map
Aqua    *red+u says:
is very square
Aqua    *red+u says:
I mean
Aqua    *red+u says:
straight
Aqua    *red+u says:
and not natural
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
It would make sense if it was a manmade cave though.
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
but...
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
yeah.
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
Symmetry is good but not in natural cases ._.;
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
it still doesn't look that bad
Aqua    *red+u says:
that swamp map
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
I mean, there's WAY worse out there
Aqua    *red+u says:
uses a LOT of the same tiles...
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
I see that.
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
and why don't you actually suggest this to daxis?
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
lol
Aqua    *red+u says:
because
Aqua    *red+u says:
too lazy to type it in an "Aqua's CP post" fashion
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
Eh
(*)Gaarafan4910(*) says:
Might as well post this conversation into the thread
Aqua    *red+u says:
because I'd have to say...
Aqua    *red+u says:
something along the lines of...
Aqua    *red+u says:
D: I'd play this, but... 120mb!?!
*dies*
I'd rather play a no sound version than die from the long download sucking the internet.
*shakes fist at slow internet*

(edits only made to fix typos)

Daxisheart

Heh heh...

Pretty much everything weird can be explained in the game. Yes, even the square map, which is only partially "man-made"
That black picture saying nox aeterna IS NOT the logo. It's more of a screen saying the name. And honestly, in the intro where that screen comes up, the effects actually make it pretty cool.
What's wrong with the swamp map?
Yeah, 120MB is freaking huge, I know. I had freaking slow internet until this summer. Of course, either way, the game without the audio file would still equal about 80MB or so. I was way to freaking lazy to take out the resources, since my resources are not organized in the very slightest. At all.(1200+ icons... hundreds of charsets...)
If you want, just download intro demo, shows the intro and only 6-7 MB. Went you see it, it'll look pretty cool.
Remember the game font Black Chancery.
What is really, really interesting is that while Abrahamic Christians give so much importance to their own free will, by their very definition of their God they deprive Him of free will.
The concept that He is not human and thus not derive the same morals as us really does not work. If his idea of morality, good or evil, is beyond us, is beyond our comprehension, why should we care? If he judges that not saving a woman from being raped a murdered a moral decision, then we should still trust him?

Hellfire Dragon

February 01, 2009, 12:59:51 pm #3 Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:21:59 pm by Hellfire Dragon
I downloaded the intro, demo is way too big, you shouldn't be so lazy, take out some of the resources your not using. Okay so first, you probably should've have included the font in the same download as the the intro/demo. Now;

Spoiler: ShowHide

If you have animated battlers for the actors, have them for the enemies. Your not the first to do that and probably won't be the last, I just think it looks dumb. I only downloaded the intro so I dunno about the gameplay, that was just based off the screen ;)

I can't really say anything about the intro since I can't see what the hell the people are saying... :O.o: I have the font installed so I dunno why I can't...

Punn

Don't mind SRK and Aqua, CP's biggest clowns. They go on and on for years, so judgmental..
But listen to someone like HFD, his wisdom is infinite.

Anyways, you should not use full ost, since usually the second half is the same as the first, so try to cut that out and then convert it into .ogg, since it uses less memory at some point.
Some of your screenshot looks nice, especially the one with the lava. You got hell alot of potential on your mapping, so take your time as much as you need.
Hope you get a good demo out soon, I wouldn't mind playing

shdwlink1993

Daxis, I just wanted to recommend that you use something like Blizzard's Resource Tester to show what resources you are and are not using and remove them before you make another demo. No offense, but 120 MB is a lot for a demo.

And yes, ogg files are much smaller and easier to download than mp3s (about half the size), so use them if you can.
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Daxisheart

Well... Yeah, I guess I could cut down the resource stuff by at least 10(maybe 20+ MB) if I just casually deleted some stuff... the day I finished this demo, I spent ~12 hours rushing it, and was way too tired to finish the small stuff.
I'll see if I'll use the the resource tester thing later. It would be so much cooler if that thing could list the stuff I DON'T use...

I forgot about including the font, and it always slipped my mind to do so...
Make sure when you install the font, you really install the font. As in, go to microsoft word, and actually be able to choose that font and use it. I'm thinking about changing the font into something else that looks a bit more readable and what more people actually have but still looks cool(scythe rocks, except even less people have this font)

I'm not a good editor or spriter, so editing resources to make them into animated battlers is way too tough for me. Besides, I have a whole bunch of cool default battlers.

I've got audacity, so I guess I can convert them into ogg...

Blizzard

I agree, 120MB is quite a lot. The full game Chaos Project should be around 100MB, I might even be able to make it less than 100MB. xD
The Resource Tester is great for this kind of problem. :) And yes, you should convert your music into .ogg and maybe cut some of it to decrease file size. If you don't feel like cutting it, there's a good reason to do so. Every .ogg file longer than 2 minutes creates a short moment of lag before it is loaded. I mixed and cut the music in my game in such a manner that they are usually 1:00-1:40 and loop nicely.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Hellfire Dragon

QuoteMake sure when you install the font, you really install the font. As in, go to microsoft word, and actually be able to choose that font and use it.

yeah the font is usable but I still can't see the text... I really want to know wtf is going on in that intro, it looks so cool :^_^':

Daxisheart

February 01, 2009, 04:25:19 pm #9 Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 04:27:44 pm by Daxisheart
Okay, for the font problem, I'll try to see if the font name in the download is really the one needed in the demo. It's the right font when I typed it in, the title of the font when you view it is right, but I'll open the project and make sure and everything. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, suggest. If no one does, then I'll just turn the font into arial or something, despite how freaking crappy it looks.

*Sigh* Fine, I'm seriouslly going to use resource tester and get rid of the MANY MANY MANY unused filed in the project for this demo. And try to convert the mp3 file into ogg, maybe even cut some of them... This sucks cause I have DOZENS of mp3's to be used in the file game, and editing all of them will, you know, suck.

EDIT: I'll only be able to do this when I get home, which would be in about 2 hours... and finish my two projects, which adds and extra hour or so... and after editing the project, deleting the resources, and uploading... It'll probably be midnight before the next version can come out.
I'll also edit the buel hunt quest. I really freaking rushed that one... the dialogue sucks horribly...

Blizzard

I know how it feels. I edited many files myself already. But I didn't do them all at once so it didn't feel so terrible. xD Take your time with all that. It's not some little work that needs to be done.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Daxisheart

February 01, 2009, 09:36:15 pm #11 Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:28:11 pm by Daxisheart
Okay, let's see...

I'm using a custom fonting script thing that replaces all fonts with the font I specify, it isn't the ultimate font override by Blizz because tons of addons isn't compatible with the scripts I have.

I insert this before any single script

class Font
begin
Font.default_name = "Black Chancery"
rescue

p $!, $!.backtrace # Displays error information with print
ensure

end
end

and this directly before main

$defaultfonttype = $fontface = $defaultfontface = $fonttype = "Black Chancery"

That's how I got every single word in the game to be a single font, every single one. Mostly cause I didn't know where to config the font for battle   :P

Anyways, the font I'm using is called Black Chancery. Here's the weird part: the file is called Chancery. However, it still works for the game. When I rename it Black Chancery, however, the game can't read it. When I edit that custom font script to be "Chancery" It reads it not at all(or so I remember). Got any ideas on if the font problems still exist?

Note: I'm uploading the upgraded demo right now, with lots of unused graphics taken out(though there's still a whole freaking bunch), with ogg audio file, and with the black chancery font named "Chancery" in it. Also upgraded the credits. When it's finished, I'll come back.

EDIT: Uploaded new demo.      
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OF4GXRD5

Fantasist

Check out the "Filesize Optimization" section in my Game Distributing Tutorial:

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=41.0

Also (this isn't there in the tutorial), Switch is a freeware audio conversion software. I wouldn't even dream of using Audacity for converting all my mp3 sounds >.< Google for Switch, download it, add all the files to the list, set the options, start the process before you go to bed, and they'll be done when you wake up.

I've also come across some PNG optimizers which reduce filesize to some extent. Do some googling if you're up for it and hope it's worth it.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

tSwitch

February 02, 2009, 09:31:38 am #13 Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:32:42 am by NAMKCOR
It looks...alright I suppose.  The mapping could use a little bit of work, and I see you used a sprite of Celes in there.
I'd make it smaller, definitely, and yeah..

Quote from: Daxisheart on February 01, 2009, 09:36:15 pm
Okay, let's see...

I'm using a custom fonting script thing that replaces all fonts with the font I specify, it isn't the ultimate font override by Blizz because tons of addons isn't compatible with the scripts I have.

it isn't the ultimate font override by Blizz because tons of addons isn't compatible with.
tons of addons isn't compatible.

HOW CAN THIS BE?!

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Hellfire Dragon

QuoteI'm using a custom fonting script thing that replaces all fonts with the font I specify, it isn't the ultimate font override by Blizz because tons of addons isn't compatible with the scripts I have.

Ultimate font overrise is available seperate from Tons, see blizzard's little tricks, I can't find it right now and when I search I get a "Error 500: Internal Server Error"

QuoteFont.default_name = "Black Chancery"

It displays as BlackChancery, no space, maybe that's it :O.o:

Daxisheart

Something about tons of addons isn't compatible with the giant list of scripts I got, which are a whole bunch. It's sort of weird that I got SDK in this game, because there's really only 1 script I'm using sdk for, but I everything works out pretty okay. There's no scripting problems and I got mostly everything I want.

So, HFD, you think I should change it to "BlackChancery"? I'll see... Anyone still having font problems?

Punn

Tons of Shit is 9000% compatible with SD-fucking-K    :V: