What's a Good PHP Forum Software

Started by Memor-X, September 23, 2013, 09:51:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Memor-X

i've been looking into changing the forum used on my website from PHPBB because Mods for it are a pain in the ass to install and update, the things i'm looking for

• Levels/EXP: in PHPBB i artificially do this by creating ranks and having the post limits increment (rank 1 = 10 posts rank 2 = 20 posts etc), it takes time to do 100 levels and would rather a forum/mod that will do this for me and is separate from the post count, that way doing other stuff beside posting can earn you exp

• Badges/Achievements: being able to create and ward badges and earn achievements for stuff (ie. start 100 posts with 10 replies from others), i hope to build ontop of this with Pandora so that achievements in Mema Hunter Games can be viewed here aswell

• Points/Shop: gaining achievements, leveling up, doing other stuff will net you points which you can them spend in a shop for other stuff, i would probably build on top on this to add DLC for my games (ie. unlocking X Mode costumes from Nexis Core in other games)

i don't really care if a forum comes with these or if they are mods, just as long as i can get them, also, i don't care if i can configure this stuff via an interface or if i need to edit a configurable part of code (though if i have to edit code i want it to be documented), bonus points if all these stuff is stored on the database cause them i can access it in Pandora

i remember Sakurahana having a system just like this however they don't seem to anymore and a bunch of anime forums have this stuff but i can't work out for the life of me what software they are using and while i can look up all the different forum software the problem is that while some come with one or two feature most have to be added with mods and the names of the mods isn't as simple as "Points Shop" or "forum levels", also, money isn't a problem but the cheaper the better and if i need to pay i rather it done via PayPal that way i'm covered

the following is the versions of my Development Environment
Apache: 2.2.22
PHP: 5.4.3
MySQL: 5.5.24

thanks in advance

Blizzard

SMF 2.0 is pretty good, even better than SMF 1.1.x. If I'm not wrong, you can achieve all that extra stuff with mods (which are easy to install and uninstall).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Memor-X

Quote from: Blizzard on September 24, 2013, 01:46:49 am
SMF 2.0 is pretty good, even better than SMF 1.1.x. If I'm not wrong, you can achieve all that extra stuff with mods (which are easy to install and uninstall).

i checked it out however the only thing closest to what i was looking for in the mods section was an award of the day and all it adds is a couple of text fields which i don't understand why you would even need to mod that, i couldn't find anything else but i could be searching under the wrong names, what i search for is "shop", "points", "levels", "achievements", "rpg", "badges", "experience" and "awards", couldn't find anything

i'm not looking to develop the mods myself cause i got Pandora Net and a subsequent site rebuild to do (moving away from tables and using divs like a good web designer) and i still am working on Nexis Core, all of that off work hours so i don't want to add more work and i've seen these things before but i can only remember Sakurahana as one of them (the other sites were random ones i downloaded Saber-Nero or Fate/Stay Night images from), that and also what ever i develop would just be a cheat, i'd just be storing serialized arrays in a database for achievements/badges and stuff

any other ideas?

G_G

Back when I was running Decisive Media with Branden, I ended up coding our own achievements system. It wasn't automated, we had it setup where admins had to give members achievements. It was cool though, we had a page that generated BBCode and members had to click the achievement to claim it. It then added it to their profile and score.

PhoenixFire

Quote from: gameus on September 25, 2013, 11:29:38 pm
Back when I was running Decisive Media with Branden, I ended up coding our own achievements system.

I miss that system.. You need to add it to your site whenever you get it up and running to full strength =p

@Memor-X: Try this script SMF Mod. It is pre-made to post count, but you can easily modify it to track a different variable as well, such as karma points, how much forum coin someone has, etc. Instructions are on the page as well. Probably the closest mod I could find.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Memor-X

Quote from: DigitalSoul on September 26, 2013, 09:51:11 am
@Memor-X: Try this script SMF Mod. It is pre-made to post count, but you can easily modify it to track a different variable as well, such as karma points, how much forum coin someone has, etc. Instructions are on the page as well. Probably the closest mod I could find.

hmmmmmm *begins to bash head against wall* WHY CAN'T I FIND THESE THINGS!

anyway, reading it over, i can modify it to instead of showing 16 medals output a level and exp display, also reading the comments i found a shop which i could check out so

Quote from: Memor-X on September 23, 2013, 09:51:07 pm

• Levels/EXP: in PHPBB i artificially do this by creating ranks and having the post limits increment (rank 1 = 10 posts rank 2 = 20 posts etc), it takes time to do 100 levels and would rather a forum/mod that will do this for me and is separate from the post count, that way doing other stuff beside posting can earn you exp

• Badges/Achievements: being able to create and ward badges and earn achievements for stuff (ie. start 100 posts with 10 replies from others), i hope to build ontop of this with Pandora so that achievements in Mema Hunter Games can be viewed here aswell

• Points/Shop: gaining achievements, leveling up, doing other stuff will net you points which you can them spend in a shop for other stuff, i would probably build on top on this to add DLC for my games (ie. unlocking X Mode costumes from Nexis Core in other games)

i did read in the comments of a members wards which i could use for achievements and piggybacking on Pandora's Achievements but even after searching for "Members Awards" in Google the closets i get is a forum post from who i believe to be the guy who made the mad but no download link, i just need to find it or something like it so i can get all 3, put them up on a test database and see what i would need to change in them