I DIVIDED BY ZERO!

Started by GAX, March 04, 2008, 09:49:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

QuoteIn college you have to study it whether you like it or not. >.< I'm not at a math college, but computing science still requires a lot of math.

My professor said to us: "Math is the heart of computing science". and yeah,
Quote"There is nothing that was so fascinating for the human mind as infinity."
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Terry16389

(Okay, I know I'm probably necro-posting, but please please please hear me out. I have something decent to add to this discussion.)

A computer scientist named James Anderson actually proposed that 0/0 could be defined as a number within itself, called nullity. Nullity is one of three 'transreal' numbers as Anderson describes it. The three numbers are Nullity, Infinity, and Negative Infinity.

Nullity is a numerical representation of a non-number that lies outside the affinely extended real number line.

If I may borrow from Wikipedia,

QuoteAnderson intends the axioms of transreal arithmetic to complement the axioms of standard arithmetic; they are supposed to produce the same result as standard arithmetic for all calculations where standard arithmetic defines a result. In addition, they are intended to define a consistent numeric result for the calculations which are undefined in standard arithmetic, such as division by zero.

Hehe. Zero divided by zero equals nullity. :P

"Anyone can say you can't write, don't let anyone say you don't."

Blizzard

July 14, 2008, 08:00:54 am #22 Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:05:48 am by Blizzard
So, instead of only one entity (infinity), there are three entities... This is a very interesting thesis. What about 00?

(Necroposting is allowed if you have something relevant to say. ^_^)
Quote from: Rule No.3Contrary to popular belief, gravedigging, or posting in an old topic, is for the most part ok. This means as long as your post is relevant and important enough to post in a topic that has been considered dead, it is ok. Unless of course, the topic you're posting in is several months old, then you would be better off just starting your own topic. This also means posting just to say "Cool" or "I agree" or anything else pointless in nature will result in the deletion of the post and/or locking of the topic.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fantasist

transreal numbers? Sounds interesting.
(goes to Wiki)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

*necropost* This picture is very appropriate for the situation discussed here.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

fugibo

I believe that all numbers are pointers.

And 0 is the pointer to NULL, the God of Wcism.

Therefore,  x / 0 is God.
0 / 0 is reality.

Blizzard

February 03, 2009, 06:35:58 am #26 Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 06:38:11 am by Blizzard
I was always amazed how 0/0 was impossible but Limn->0n/n = 1 was working just fine. Limits are amazing. They let us gasp into infinity and actually "freeze" it in our terms. Infinity times 2 divided by infinity is infinity again, but Limn->oo2*n/n = 2.
0 and infinity which don't quite seem to be the exact opposite seem to be connected either way. 0 is "in our world", it's there, you can imagine it, you understand it. But infinity is a completely different story. Through 0 and mathematics, though, infinity has been proven to be actually part of "our world" after all. It's a just a little bit harder to understand.

fugibo

But aren't limits just approximations, though? *only knows very basics of cal, and some trig*
And and what about logarithms?
log11 = IMPOSSIBLE

I have a quack-job theory that all numbers are coefficients of units. For example, if I have 2 red apples, the would be 2 times apple. If I get another, that would be 2 times apple + apple = 3 times apple.

Thus, 0 would describe the same thing no matter what, and that would be null, the matter that doesn't exist.

so dividing by zero produces dark matter!!!!

Blizzard

No, limits are correct.
The logarithmic function is defined on a specific range. It simply doesn't work outside of it.
And that dark matter theory is lol.

Kagutsuchi

I agree with Blizz, limits are fun.. they mess with reality xP
Especially when we start to get conditions for our equations, like "If the equation exists" xP

Well, if you think about it logically, 1/0.1=10.. 1/.001= 1000. As you see the closer the number gets to 0, it becomes larger and larger. So logically n/0=infinite
Trying to think about it practically, if there exists 1 pie, and 0 persons are going to share that pie, how much does each person get? Uhh.. huh?

Chuck Norris divided by 0 once.. there was nothing left.

(I know the topic is old, but it was on the first page..)

Blizzard

May 02, 2009, 06:24:04 am #30 Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 09:16:17 am by Blizzard
Another interesting thing is definitly 0 * oo. Which is stronger? 0 or infinity?

EDIT:

Spoiler: ShowHide

fugibo

I still think x over 0 = infinity.

Reno-s--Joker

Quote from: Kagutsuchi on May 02, 2009, 05:14:21 am
Trying to think about it practically, if there exists 1 pie, and 0 persons are going to share that pie, how much does each person get? Uhh.. huh?

THIS is the secret to making infinite amounts pie!!!!!!!1!

..... which no-one will end up getting. :(

fugibo

May 03, 2009, 09:42:14 am #33 Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:43:20 am by Biker WcW
@kagutsuchi: We've already discussed this. It's called "Limits." You do them like this:
limn->< a number >(<an expression>)

And your aim is to find out what the expression is if n is <a number>. If the expression doesn't work out, you do what you did and start at a different number and work your way to the desired number, and see what the expression approaches.

So, as Blizz stated, limn->0( 1 / n ) = infinity.

EDIT:
I hate everything about Mississippi. We finally get to limits, and we do absolutely nothing with them. We just use the basic rules (the limit of (a + b) is the same as the limit of a + the limit of b. WOW, amazing)

Blizzard

May 03, 2009, 10:11:03 am #34 Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:12:16 am by Blizzard
Too bad. :/ Limits are also used in order theory to determine the convergation of orders. One ironic thing is that I missed out the day in school when we learned limits. xD I had no problems catching up, though.

RoseSkye

Can someone give me an example of -infinity- in our world that keeps coming up.

Blizzard

Take a number order. 1, 2, 3, 4... It goes on and on. It never ends.

fugibo

Infinity's not a number. It's the limit of a series with no bounds.

RoseSkye

Quote from: Rival Blizzard on May 03, 2009, 11:22:41 am
Take a number order. 1, 2, 3, 4... It goes on and on. It never ends.

Its the number that never ends it goes on and on my friend.
You started counting and you didn't know what it was.. but you continued counting just because ..

Its the number that never ends it goes on and on my friend.
You started counting and you didn't know what it was.. but you continued counting just because ..

Technically no human can count to infinity .. I don't remember what I read but it said something about in a humans life time they can only count to x..

Blizzard

All I'm saying is that infinity is an abstract term. You can't define infinity in reality.