Fighting Robots Quest

Started by Boulon, June 26, 2015, 10:20:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boulon

June 26, 2015, 10:20:00 am Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:19:58 pm by Boulon

What is "Fighting Robots Quest"?

This is an RPG featuring a world where "Simurions", ancient robots from a lost civilisation, have awaken. The goal is to discover them and using them through battles.

My inspirations were Pokémon and Suikoden, for its large roster of playable caracters, the first Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy 6 for their open world and narrative approach. My vision for this project was to make a simple but solid RPG with enough depth to be compelling and have a lot of replay value.

The project runs since October 2008.

What are the features?

-No less than 140 playable characters.
-Robots to find, build, customize and upgrade.
-A world every player can travel his own way through exploration capacities that he can learn in any order he wants.
-More than 100 battle skills to learn.
-A fuse system between robots to make advanced ones.
-A rich world without to much hand holding packed with secrets.
-Two versions of the game offering some exclusive robots and stuff.
-A giveaway system between players to give robots using in game passwords.

Playable characters: The Simurions!

The list is pretty long and won't be completely revealed before the project is over because discovering them is where the fun is.
But here's some:

This is the first Simurions you can find. The player can choose one of them based on its final form, each of them have its own pros and cons.

As you can see there's various types and elements: Types are about building and growing aspects and elements are about strengths and weaknesses. Try to make a balanced team!

Synopsis:

Two teenagers, brother and sister, living in a remote village, find in the basement of their grandfather a treasure map. Excited by their find they leave the village to try to find where this map leads...

They soon find an old cave that no one seems to know and deep inside they discover a giant robot that will change their destiny.
Will they uncover the secret behind the Simurions, these robots from another time?

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Actual game duration : 15h
Demo : Summer 2015
Release date : 2017 maybe
Software : RPG Maker 2k3

Zexion

Release date 2017 :(
Lol, but serious, it looks great! Lots of content already, i hope that release date is a lie!!

Boulon

I hope I could release it in 2017 but sadly it would be very difficult.
The project has more than 6 years now with some pauses (several weeks sometimes) and some very active moments (20-40h per week). I guess I half done with the project but it takes me so much time, it's a pity. I try to polish it as possible but try as well as not loosing to much time on useless efforts. What I know is that after this project I won't be doing any more RPG games like this.

Anyway, thank you! You support is precious.
Hopefully a demo about a couple of hours will be released soon so you could at least try it.

KK20

Wow, those are some sweet graphics. I can tell someone enjoys Mother 3 a lot ;)
Considering it sounds like you did this entire project yourself (jeez), that's some major respect points. I'll be on the lookout for that demo~

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Boulon

Thank you! I plan to release a first demo on july. It will cover the first 1-2 hours of the game.

orochii

I'll be waiting for you--r demo. <3.

Boulon

July 21, 2015, 11:31:35 am #6 Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:42:43 pm by Boulon
Hello everyone! :hi:

I'm happy to tell you the first demo of the game is just released on Chaos-project!

You can download it right HERE.

Quote-The duration of the demo is 1 to 2 hours. Your save will be compatible with the next demo.

-You don't need RPG Maker 2k3 or the RTP to be installed on your PC to run the game.

-The world map is a rough sketch, it's only there to be functional.

-To run the game, go into the folder and click on RPG_RT.exe.

Thanks for playing!  :D

If you have any trouble running the game, just ask, I will help. Any feedback will be appreciated!   :)

Please note that I'm not english native. I knew that english natives players will see mistakes and oddities in the game texts.

I plan to have a true english update one day. I will need to find someone in the community that would be ok to correct everything. But I'll have to wait until the game is done to do that. Thank you in advance for your understanding. 

Zexion

So, KK20 and I decided to try this game out last night. The game starts off pretty slow and simple, but is really kinda relaxing, not boring. It got fun pretty fast and the rate at which things were introduced to you seemed to be pretty much perfect. I never felt lost or like i needed to use an item or something that I didn't have. The graphics were consistent and the music was fun. The exp seems a tad bit slow (had to do like 20-30 battles to get lvl 3), but I'm not sure what the level cap is, so it might be fine.

How does the fast exp ability work? Is it for the whole party, or just that sim? Is it a random chance at the end of the battle or is it not even included in the demo? Was a bit confused with it.

Overall the demo was really fun and left me wanting more!

P.S. The demo is kinda bugged at the end. When you talk to the guy and choose to save, you will be stuck on the ending scene every time you load the game. Sooo like I can't play it anymore :P

P.S.(2) I dunno why u had to be so cruel and put an item on the island that no one could reach. RUDE lol

Boulon

Wow, thank you!  :D
That's awesome you enjoyed this much! I'm very happy.

For the level curve, three things :

-First, RM 2003 got an awful system of exp curve. You cannot customize it that much. It cannot be exponential. So I plan to use a patch or something to make my own curve.

-Second, the issue you had is mostly for lower levels. I think you got level up pretty fast after 1 or 2 more hours. I even saw a player being overleveled for a long time after only a few minutes of grinding (as I said earlier, the curve system is pretty bad).

-And finaly, I didn't expect the players to grind in the first place. For instance, the first boss is not that easier if you grind that much, I guess. But, yes, it seems like a minor annoyance to be stuck at level 1 or 2 for a while, I agree. Maybe I will tweak that a little.

As for the Fast Exp Ability, it only works on the Simurion which have it. So in this case, only for Mushiba, the small insect-looking one. I think it cuts by at least 1/3 the exp needed to level up. It's working in the demo, you can see that on the menu looking at the exp of this Simurion. Compare it with Denger and you will notice a difference. Exp curve are based on types (Mecanical, Hybrid, Gnetic) Denger is the only other Mecanical type in the demo. Your starter have a unique curve.

I hope I'm clear enough.  :^_^':

Yeah, the end feels like buggy but it's intended. I wanted to make the demo end completly so I could make the next one compatible. But I guess I could have handle that better. Tip for the next demo, when the message "end of demo" appears
just choose "continue playing" then save when you want.

Anyway, when the demo #2 will be released use your save file from the first and you will break free from this loop.  ;)

For the unreachable items. Hehe, sorry. There will be a lot like that.
The main reason is that capacities like cutting bushes or breaking rocks won't be available for a long time because it's hard for me to put it in since it's a system that let the players choose which capacity he wants first. So every players can have different capacities which means I have to make all the possibilities.  :wacko:

For the next demos the capacity system will be integrated but won't be available (the demo won't allow players to choose to learn a capacity).

So the game right now is a bit more linear than it will be when complete.
I know that it can be annoying but just take it as it is. It's a demo and everything you cannot reach is only "bonuses", the demos won't take them into account, the difficulty is set as they don't even exist.

I plan for the end of the year to integrate this system.

I will release the demo #2 this august.
It will feature the Stat customisation system and the Simurion Transfer system between players and will last at least 2 hours.

Thanks again for your feedbacks! Feel free to ask anything.

Your comment was really motivating!!  :bow: :rockit:

Zexion

QuoteFor the unreachable items. Hehe, sorry. There will be a lot like that.
The main reason is that capacities like cutting bushes or breaking rocks won't be available for a long time because it's hard for me to put it in since it's a system that let the players choose which capacity he wants first.

Yeah, I figured as much :P

As for the looping bug, I meant that you can't do anything when it loads. It skips directly to the fading out part, so you can't tell the guy you want to continue because it just skips it xD You just load the game and it ends

Boulon

Yeah, I wasn't very clear.

I know how it behaves. I just wanted to make the demo completly stop (don't ask me why, I think it's not a good idea looking back at it. :P)
Hopefully, with the next demo you will automatically be released from this.

About the "continue the demo" choice, I was refering at a previous message in game. When you talk to the guy at the boat the game tells you the demo is finished then asks you if you want to continue or stop playing. If you choose "continue" the end screen doesn't show up and you can save and stop like normal.

Anyway, in the next demos I won't do this stupid loop thing.  :^_^':

KK20

I guess I should say my experience as well rather than let Zexion say everything :P

Thoroughly enjoyed it--pretty nuts that this was made with 2k3 and yet feels soooooo custom. You have very impressive knowledge of eventing; if you're not a programmer, you definitely have the knowledge for it.

Agreed that the game starts off a bit slow, considering that there really isn't any character development and just spontaneously starts the adventure (just like traditional Pokemon games). Was kind of confused with the grass at first and wondered why I couldn't walk over it. The English was solid, just a few grammar mistakes and I think a point where the text was cut from fitting inside the message box. And I totally didn't realize that cavern was the "Choose your Starter" map. Went to the Govolt without even seeing the others :\

Love the graphics. There's definitely a lot of Mother 3 sprites (such as a recolored Pigmask). I'm curious how much of this game is actually your art. If not, where did you get your sprites from?

I very much enjoy the overall gameplay and design. I do look forward to your next demo and the game's eventual completion. :)
To everyone who hasn't played this yet, JUST DO IT. DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS.

Other Projects

Boulon

First, I must say that I didn't know the english RPG Maker communities before this month and even if some seems more active than you, you are the kindest one! Thank you very much for your feedbacks!

QuoteThoroughly enjoyed it--pretty nuts that this was made with 2k3 and yet feels soooooo custom. You have very impressive knowledge of eventing; if you're not a programmer, you definitely have the knowledge for it.

I'm not a programmer at all, I did some programming on Never Winter Night at school but hated it. Yet, I like scripting. The main difference is that it's more a designer tool than a programmer tool. Irl I'm a level designer and I kind hate technical stuff. So... Thanks for the compliment. :D

Yes, I tried to use 2k3 basic possibilities with adding some fresh stuff in it. My vision for FRQ was to use excisting and simple tool provided by 2k3 in some new ways. So it can feel "custom" without being to time consuming. I'm glad it worked with you.  ;)

QuoteAgreed that the game starts off a bit slow, considering that there really isn't any character development and just spontaneously starts the adventure (just like traditional Pokemon games).

So you're not the first speaking about the slow start. Haha, that's a shame because it was always something that I hated in some RPG (like starting in a big town with a lot of tutorials and fetch quest...)  :>.<:

I wanted to make the player feel like he was coming to some uncharted territories so I make it quite long but maybe I will shorten a bit the forest and cave layout to reach the Simurion.

Your personnal take on it : Which part was specially slow and when did it start to take off?
Also, what do you suggest?

QuoteWas kind of confused with the grass at first and wondered why I couldn't walk over it. The English was solid, just a few grammar mistakes and I think a point where the text was cut from fitting inside the message box. And I totally didn't realize that cavern was the "Choose your Starter" map. Went to the Govolt without even seeing the others :\

So you thought bushes were grass... Maybe I should change the sprite to make it thickier.

For the english, there will be a revision, some people helped me to correct it.
Glad it wasn't a big issue.

For the "starter choice", some players choose a path and take the Simurion they found the first time, like you, and some other (more suspicious) try every path before choosing.
That's ok for me if you don't get it at first glance. It wasn't intended to be exactly like Pokemon. I wanted it to be a little more like a gamble when you have to choose a path not knowing what it will change later.

QuoteLove the graphics. There's definitely a lot of Mother 3 sprites (such as a recolored Pigmask). I'm curious how much of this game is actually your art. If not, where did you get your sprites from?

Not a lot of custom graphics, but a lot of editing even if it's hard to see sometimes (a lot of Mother 3 tiles are actually modified to fit 2k3 standards).

I don't recall every sources for the graphics but Super Robots War, Robopon, Megaman and Medabots come to mind for the Simurions.

QuoteI very much enjoy the overall gameplay and design. I do look forward to your next demo and the game's eventual completion

Thank you very much! I was super stressed about showing the game, in fact, because I kept it for myself, for years before sharing this demo online. Glad it was enjoyable! It would be long to finish it but I passionate enough to keep it for another couple of years. Sorry to take so long, hehe, but I won't let it go, for sure.  :)

Spoofus

I just played the demo for this game, and I gotta say, I am impressed by it.
The demo was a bit short but I enjoyed it a lot I do hope you actually come through and finish this project I will definitely play it

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

Boulon

Thank you! :)
The next demo will come in a month or so, with 2 more hours of gameplay at least.
Hope you'll like it.

KK20

Was wondering what happened to you :P
Whoop whoop git hype

Other Projects

Zexion

Boulon

Hello!
Maybe you wondered where is the new demo. It was supposed to be available in october but I couldn't finish what I wanted but I put a deadline for this december. I want to for the begining of the month but at the very least it will be  before 2016!

Just to give you some news, I work amost everyday on the project. Even if it's slow I'm making progress... :)

Here's some screenshots, thanks for your patience and support ! (They're from the demo #2) :

Spoiler: ShowHide

(And maybe this thread can be put in the "advanced project" section? Just asking.)

See you!  :D

ForeverZer0

I moved, but after doing so, I noticed that there was no demo, or at least not one that I noticed. This is supposed to be a requirement to be in the main projects section. Will you be able to have one posted up in the very near future?
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Boulon

The demo has been posted july 21st. :)