PC Build - based on gameus build

Started by Apidcloud, September 06, 2014, 02:55:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Apidcloud

September 06, 2014, 02:55:14 pm Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:01:49 pm by Apidcloud
Here's what I have so far. It's not the best obviously, but it should run pretty much anything. I don't really want to go over 1500~1600 euros.

It would, theoretically, be cheaper if I ordered from US (about 300 euros cheaper until now), but I'm afraid of the extra costs. Do you have any experience ordering from US to Europe?

CaseOther Options
Corsair Obsidian 750DEUR 135,99
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97EUR 192,00Asrock Z87 OC FormulaEUR 191,55
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790KEUR 323,23Intel Core i7-4770kEUR 275,00
Graphics Card
Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GBEUR 304,93
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 Gold ModularEUR 114,54Corsair Ax760 Platinum ModularEUR 145,00Corsair RM750 Gold ModularEUR 112,90
SSD
Samsung 250GB 840 EvoEUR 105,99
Storage
Seagate Barracuda 2TB Sata III 64mb 7200rpmEUR 74,90
RAM
Kingston HyperX Beast 16 GB 2400MhzEUR 183,62
Cooling - CPU Heatsink
Corsair Hydro H110 (2013)EUR 109,00Cooler Master Hyper 212 EvoEUR 29,90FrioOCKEUR 68,99
DVD Drive
Still looking
Wireless Card
Not sure if needed since ethernet should be used
Current Total Cost w/ shippingEUR 1581,21

Feel free to suggest additional parts that, from your point of view, would fit better  :)
Instead of wanting to be somebody else, rather become somebody else

"I will treasure the knowledge like a squirrel treasures acorns."

Gibbo Glast 2D Engine - The sky is no longer a limit

G_G

Save yourself some money and get a smaller SSD.

http://www.amazon.es/Samsung-120GB-840-Evo-s%C3%B3lido/dp/B00E3W15P0/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1410032011&sr=1-2&keywords=samsung+ssd

This way, you have more money and can invest into secondary storage. I have a 120GB SSD right now and I just install all my software, keep some documents on it. As for things such as Steam, emulators, media files, misc files, you can store on your secondary drive and keep your SSD for your software and documents.

Just a heads up, if you're installing Windows, Windows likes to take up space depending on how much RAM you have. If you have 16gigs, it'll take 16 gigs of space on your SSD for hibernation mode. You can disable it like I did, or if you use it a lot, keep it. It also likes to put a file known as your "page file size" 1.5 times the amount of RAM you have. So 24 gigs will also infest your SSD if you don't change it. This is for people with low amounts of RAM, it'll move some of the RAM to a file in order to free some RAM up. Which is nice, but with 16+ gigs of RAM, you don't need a page file size quite that big. Things to keep in mind when installing Windows with a small SSD. As for your secondary storage, 1TB should do, unless you're like me and love to hoard movies and tv shows.
http://www.amazon.es/Western-Digital-Caviar-Blue-interno/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1410032650&sr=8-4&keywords=western+digital

As for a wireless card, I swear by this one. It's absolutely amazing. Pricey, but good.
http://www.amazon.es/Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1900-PCI-E-Adapter-PCE-AC68/dp/B00M1J1PES/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-3&keywords=ac1900+adapter

If you need to stay in budget, TP-Link is a good alternative. I can vouch for it as well, works great as it was my previous one.
http://www.amazon.es/TP-LINK-TL-WDN4800-inal%C3%A1mbrico-compatible-desmontables/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1410032348&sr=8-5&keywords=tp+link+adapter

As for cooling your CPU, anything aftermarket is usually good for AMD processors. With no experience with Intel, I have no idea, though I'm sure a couple of people here can chime in. As for fans for your case, it comes with three, and honestly, that should be enough unless you plan on overclocking your CPU, which with Intel processors, is going to greatly increase the amount of heat it produces. Which in that case, you might want to look into liquid cooling. The case you picked out is plenty big to mount a radiator if you take that route.

Any standard DVD drive should work, unless you're wanting to get into Bluray, which I don't recommend because it's a major pain in the ass to get software to play Bluray movies. >_>
http://www.amazon.es/Samsung-SH-224DB-BEBE-Lector-grabadora/dp/B00CDGGQRA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=dvd+drive

Aside from that, you've got a pretty solid build here.

Apidcloud

QuoteSave yourself some money and get a smaller SSD.

http://www.amazon.es/Samsung-120GB-840-Evo-s%C3%B3lido/dp/B00E3W15P0/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1410032011&sr=1-2&keywords=samsung+ssd

This way, you have more money and can invest into secondary storage. I have a 120GB SSD right now and I just install all my software, keep some documents on it. As for things such as Steam, emulators, media files, misc files, you can store on your secondary drive and keep your SSD for your software and documents.

I've recently acquired a 250 gb samsung evo and placed it on my laptop, while moving the 500gb 5400rpm HDD to the dvd drive's location using a caddy. I can say that SSD is just an overwhelming experience and , like you, I only have sofware and documents in it, but the thing is: the more GB, the cheaper and I don't really plan on changing disks that often. That said, I believe that 120 GB may prove to be somehow not enough - so I'll either acquire another 250 gb or stick with the 500 gb.

QuoteJust a heads up, if you're installing Windows, Windows likes to take up space depending on how much RAM you have. If you have 16gigs, it'll take 16 gigs of space on your SSD for hibernation mode. You can disable it like I did, or if you use it a lot, keep it. It also likes to put a file known as your "page file size" 1.5 times the amount of RAM you have. So 24 gigs will also infest your SSD if you don't change it. This is for people with low amounts of RAM, it'll move some of the RAM to a file in order to free some RAM up. Which is nice, but with 16+ gigs of RAM, you don't need a page file size quite that big. Things to keep in mind when installing Windows with a small SSD. As for your secondary storage, 1TB should do, unless you're like me and love to hoard movies and tv shows.
http://www.amazon.es/Western-Digital-Caviar-Blue-interno/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1410032650&sr=8-4&keywords=western+digital

I plan on installing windows 8.1, or windows 9 already, and I don't remember of it having a hibernation mode anymore, even though the shutdown is tricky. Does it actually take the same space you mentioned?
About the "page file size". I wasn't aware of that issue so I really appreciate that note.

As for the secondary storage, I'm pretty much like you: I do like to hoard movies, series and anime (most of it in 1080p), hence looking for 2TB or more. Are you familiar with the "green" western digital ones?

QuoteAs for a wireless card, I swear by this one. It's absolutely amazing. Pricey, but good.
http://www.amazon.es/Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1900-PCI-E-Adapter-PCE-AC68/dp/B00M1J1PES/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-3&keywords=ac1900+adapter

If you need to stay in budget, TP-Link is a good alternative. I can vouch for it as well, works great as it was my previous one.
http://www.amazon.es/TP-LINK-TL-WDN4800-inal%C3%A1mbrico-compatible-desmontables/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1410032348&sr=8-5&keywords=tp+link+adapter

The first one is definitely pricey for me. Did you really buy it? Mother of God   :uhm:

As for the second one, it's definitely within the budget I had in my mind, but do I actually need Wireless? I use Ethernet most of the time... Would it be careless from me not acquiring a card?

QuoteAs for cooling your CPU, anything aftermarket is usually good for AMD processors. With no experience with Intel, I have no idea, though I'm sure a couple of people here can chime in. As for fans for your case, it comes with three, and honestly, that should be enough unless you plan on overclocking your CPU, which with Intel processors, is going to greatly increase the amount of heat it produces. Which in that case, you might want to look into liquid cooling. The case you picked out is plenty big to mount a radiator if you take that route.

To be honest, I don't really have a clue about cooling... The case seems to be enough, but what if it isn't?
About the overclock, I don't really have plans for it right now. I guess that I'll only do it when it proves to not be a good match to other models out there (or if the performance isn't enough). What do you recommend?

QuoteAny standard DVD drive should work, unless you're wanting to get into Bluray, which I don't recommend because it's a major pain in the ass to get software to play Bluray movies. >_>
http://www.amazon.es/Samsung-SH-224DB-BEBE-Lector-grabadora/dp/B00CDGGQRA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=dvd+drive

I was planning on going for Bluray - didn't know it was hard to get software for it. I'll probably do some digging first in order to decide this one.

On another note, do you think that the Ram is ok? There are some other brands out there with some really good options - maybe cheaper.
Additionally, is i7 4790k that much of a difference when compared to 4770k?

Thanks for all the suggestions

G_G

If you use ethernet, don't get a wireless card. If you plan on having your computer be away from the router for whatever reason, get one. I just assumed you needed one because it was in the topic.

As for your storage, get what you think is enough then.

And finally, for your DVD drive, the only software I got to work with bluray was VLC Media Player. However, it wouldn't play all bluray discs. Most software out there to play bluray movies is paid software.

As for the difference between 4770k and 4790k, there's a price difference, so there probably is a performance difference, but probably not all that noticeable. The RAM is also good. 2400Mhz is pretty fast RAM. I'm only running 1333Mhz and still getting decent performance.

Apidcloud

September 06, 2014, 06:33:17 pm #4 Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:41:10 pm by Apidcloud
Just updated the parts: changed ssd to 250gb, added liquid cooler and HDD. There are newer HDD models but besides the price I don't see any difference in the specs...
Do you think I should get green or blue from WD instead? I can't find 2TB blue.. and black is way overpriced

I use vlc media player, so I'll probably take a look at the blu-ray drivers.

On a side note, I don't really know if I should pick EVGA 750G2 psu..
Corsair Ax760 (and Rm750) look really good. Any thoughts?

And I just noticed that I added the wrong motherboard... Z87M is mini atx..  :'( Right one, which is more expensive: Z87 OC Formula
But I'll probably change it to Asus Maximus VII Hero which costs the same but is better overall.

Also, pcpartpicker just warned me that Kingston Ram runs at 1.65V, whereas cpu recommended is 1.575V. Is it a problem...? I mean, it will probably match the cpu recommended voltage, reducing it's performance.

Thanks again

WhiteRose

You'll definitely want a blue drive instead of a green. WD green drives are quite a bit slower; they're meant to be economy drives, using power only when they need it. For a gaming machine, that's a much bigger con than a pro.

Apidcloud

September 06, 2014, 09:40:17 pm #6 Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 10:17:20 pm by Apidcloud
I wanted a blue or black one.. but since I can't find 2TB blue and black is way overpriced, I checked some benchmarks that actually recommended seagate over both of them..

Changed i7 4770k to i7 4790k, even though I'm doing some digging on AMD ones, like FX-9590. I thought about it for a while and the price gap isn't that great, so why not? It's actually neat since I've just changed board to Asus Maximus VII Hero which is Z97, as required by the new cpu.

Thanks

G_G

September 06, 2014, 10:12:54 pm #7 Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 10:15:14 pm by gameus
Could always go Seagate. I'm running a couple of seagates in my computer now and haven't had too much issues with them. Doesn't really help that it seems your options are limited. When I search for hard drives on Amazon.com compared to Amazon.es I don't get the variety.

Apidcloud

Amazon es isn't as good as .com or .co.uk.. but uk ended the free shipping to Portugal, whereas es keeps doing it for pretty much every product.

In spite of that, the motherboard and cpu will be ordered on a portugal store (a little cheaper)

Thanks

Ryex

September 07, 2014, 12:14:45 pm #9 Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:53:29 pm by Ryex
If your looking for aftermarket cooling the Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo is a god send, I can run a AMD 8350 octacore at 4.2 GH and idle around 15-18 C, If I'm loading it down I can keep it just above room tmep even in an 30C room (36C)

course, I'm using some corsair static pressure fan in push pull mode and I have a massive 270MM side case fan so with the stock fans it comes with don't expect quite that level of performance with just a stock hyper212 evo fan.

also G_G talked about trying to shrink your page file if you have large amounts of RAM, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT ATTEMPTING THIS. You'll blue screen instantly on reboot. It's a nightmare to fix too. keep your page file above or equal to the size of your ram and just deal with the unusable space, it's not worth the trouble. HOWEVER, if you get a second drive thats NOT an ssd and has some space available you can move the page file to that drive which is perfectly reasonable as you then protect your ssd form getting overused by the page file and decreasing it's life span.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G

Why not attempt this? If you have 16gigs of space that you can't use because of the page file, then why not shrink it? I shrank mine to 2gigs just to play it safe. No blue screens. It's been 2gigs ever since I installed an SSD into my computer, which was more than a year ago. There is no trouble, I've never gotten a blue screen from changing it, so there had to have been another issue when you changed yours. There's no point in having 16gigs or 32gigs of space taken up when you don't need to. If changing it or disabling the page file was a cause of a bluescreen 100% of the time, Windows wouldn't give you the ability to change it or completely disable it.

Ryex

No really, I tested EVERYTHING else, it was the page file setting. I know there are some people who succeeded but I've tried it on three different computers and everytime the page file was less than the ram it would blue screen before I even reached the login screen. tried changing the hibernation settings, tried the crash dump settings. nothing solved it. frankly if the setting is so touchy and depending on hardware configuration it should even be an option.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Apidcloud

September 07, 2014, 04:49:23 pm #12 Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:01:27 pm by Apidcloud
Firstly, about the page file... If there's a problem with shrinking I can try to move it to the secondary storage if possible. I have no idea wether it causes BSOD or not, never heard of it.

Finally, about the cooler.. I still don't know if it's better to pick one with 2 fans or not. The case has plenty of space..
But regarding that one specifically, it really seems to be the way to go. Bigger than the average and placed directly above the cpu having, theoretically, a better cooling result.

Thanks  :haha:

G_G

Quote from: Ryex on September 07, 2014, 01:52:52 pm
No really, I tested EVERYTHING else, it was the page file setting. I know there are some people who succeeded but I've tried it on three different computers and everytime the page file was less than the ram it would blue screen before I even reached the login screen. tried changing the hibernation settings, tried the crash dump settings. nothing solved it. frankly if the setting is so touchy and depending on hardware configuration it should even be an option.

That honestly just doesn't make any sense. I've always been able to shrink it no matter what. Never once had an issue.

Quote from: Apidcloud on September 07, 2014, 04:49:23 pm
Firstly, about the page file... If there's a problem with shrinking I can try to move it to the secondary storage if possible. I have no idea wether it causes BSOD or not, never heard of it.

Finally, about the cooler.. I still don't know if it's better to pick one with 2 fans or not. The case has plenty of space..
But regarding that one specifically, it really seems to be the way to go. Bigger than the average and placed directly above the cpu having, theoretically, a better cooling result.

Thanks  :haha:

Well good luck with your build. Chances are, you'll get your stuff before mine.

Apidcloud

I'll probably just start building it in 2 or 3 months from now  :roll: What about you?

I still didn't "decide" the psu and the bluray driver.. I seriously have no clue about them
Ah, and I might need some more fans   :???:

WhiteRose

Quote from: Apidcloud on September 07, 2014, 09:03:59 pm
I'll probably just start building it in 2 or 3 months from now  :roll: What about you?

I still didn't "decide" the psu and the bluray driver.. I seriously have no clue about them
Ah, and I might need some more fans   :???:

Most cases come with all of the fans that you'll need, as do any internal devices requiring fans (most notably CPU coolers.) Unless you want to replace those fans for some reason, you probably don't need to buy any more. For the PSU, I would highly recommend getting something that's gold rated. It will give you some peace of mind that your computer isn't likely to short out or blow up. :)

Ryex

^^ at least go with something silver, never skimp on the quality of your PSU, it's for all intents and purposes the heart blood of your computer. if it goes everything goes, possibly permanently.
I recommend sticking to one of the Corsair, Sesonic or OCZ brands. Sesonic is widely considered the best

as for fans, that shouldn't be too big of a worry as long as your not getting a plain metal box for a case you should be good on air flow. I only have the extra because I'm overclocking and the added boost in airflow let me keep the northbridge of my motherboard cool enough to get stable.

Apidcloud

September 08, 2014, 09:41:06 am #17 Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:42:50 am by Apidcloud
This case has fans..so I'll probably stick with them + cpu cooler. I really like Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo but I haven't decided anything yet.

As for the psu, evga supernova's reviews are really good, but I can't really choose one from the 3 listed  :facepalm:

Corsair Ax760 is platinum and Corsair RM750 is also gold.. (added that info to the list) All of them are modular, which, in my opinion, is also a must.

I don't plan on doing OC for the time being - at least as long as it has a good performance.

Thanks