Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Topic started by: mroedesigns on July 31, 2011, 04:59:03 am

Title: Decent laptop, small budget.
Post by: mroedesigns on July 31, 2011, 04:59:03 am
So I have horrible luck with laptops apparently. My first one, my old gateway, had a cracked screen. Eventually that cracked screen got bad enough that I had to take the whole thing off. Not having the money for a new screen, I took the whole top half of the laptop off. I still have it, and it still works, but I don't have a power cord, nor an external monitor for it. A while after that, I got my toshiba laptop I loved so very much. I used that to start my graphic design business, as well as do a little bit of small music production. Unfortunately, that got stolen while I was staying in a shelter in Omaha, and never was recovered. My most recent laptop, a crappy compaq presarrio 2200, runs. And that's about it. I can do basic things like RPGMXP and 2D games, and I can get online (at disgustingy slow speeds), but not much more. Unfortunately, my roomate knocked it off the couch and the charger broke. That makes two working laptops I can't use right now.

I need   really, REALLY, want to buy a new laptop so that I can get back to design and start making some more money. Unfortunately I'm not made of money, and the money tree is not in season right now. Living pay-check to pay-check sucks. But I'm getting good hours, and I have right around $300, $400 at most, to spend. What are some decent laptops that would be able to run things like Photoshop or Illustrator well (and, if possible, games such as WoW) that are in that price range?

TLDR : I have like 3-400 dollars to spend on a laptop, what should I get?
Title: Re: Decent laptop, small budget.
Post by: The Niche on July 31, 2011, 05:53:52 am
Mine cost around €300. It's a HP G56 Notebook PC, with a 2.30 ghz processor, 3gb of ram, windows seven 64bit and 320 gb hard drive.
Title: Re: Decent laptop, small budget.
Post by: mroedesigns on July 31, 2011, 06:01:54 am
You mean sorta like this one?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Factory-Refurbished+Laptop+/+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+3GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Charcoal/2077071.p?id=1218308261558&skuId=2077071

That's probably the one I'm going to end up getting. That or this one, which is not quite as nice but is also even less expensive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Netbook+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Atom%26%23153%3B+Processor+/+10.1%22+Display+/+1GB+Memory+/+250GB+Hard+Drive+-+River+Black/2738738.p?id=1218348122102&skuId=2738738
Title: Re: Decent laptop, small budget.
Post by: Blizzard on July 31, 2011, 08:17:23 am
I recommend an Asus laptop.
Title: Re: Decent laptop, small budget.
Post by: Spaceman McConaughey on July 31, 2011, 12:04:27 pm
Yeah, Asses makes great laptops.
Title: Re: Decent laptop, small budget.
Post by: Ryex on July 31, 2011, 03:56:51 pm
they arn't well known in the western world but Asus really dose make good laptops for better prices than HP and dell.
Title: Re: Decent laptop, small budget.
Post by: Blizzard on July 31, 2011, 06:01:32 pm
My current laptop is an Asus. 2.3 GHz M520 AMD Turion, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4670, 500 GB HDD, 17" LED display and all the additional stuff that come with laptops. I paid less than $1000. In the US it should be even less because of the taxes, etc. The laptop's great, BTW.