Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Topic started by: G_G on August 07, 2011, 02:33:40 am

Title: Free Game but Selling Add-Ons?
Post by: G_G on August 07, 2011, 02:33:40 am
You see the kind of thing in MMO's. The game is free but you can buy all those things from the item mall with real cash.

Now I wanted to ask a legal question here. Could one get away with this without licensing? Like you're not allowed to sell RPG Maker XP games unless you bought a legal copy, and you get that official license and everything. Would you be allowed to hand out the game for free, but sell add-ons for it legally? Another case would be with Microsoft, you need a license to be able to sell .NET apps or something if I remember right. Me and Branden have a couple of ideas but we didn't want to get legal threats.
Title: Re: Free Game but Selling Add-Ons?
Post by: Blizzard on August 07, 2011, 03:27:42 am
I am not sure if RMXP's license is limited to selling the game or to making money off it. But fact is that if they are making money off it and they haven't bought RMXP, that is illegal, because not buying RMXP is illegal. Once you buy RMXP, I think you can do with your game as you please.

As for MS, read the license of VC Express and VC# Express (and most probably VB Express as well). Both licenses allow you to sell your apps without having to pay anything.
Title: Re: Free Game but Selling Add-Ons?
Post by: G_G on August 07, 2011, 03:31:05 am
Quote from: Blizzard on August 07, 2011, 03:27:42 am
I am not sure if RMXP's license is limited to selling the game or to making money off it. But fact is that if they are making money off it and they haven't bought RMXP, that is illegal, because not buying RMXP is illegal. Once you buy RMXP, I think you can do with your game as you please.

As for MS, read the license of VC Express and VC# Express (and most probably VB Express as well). Both licenses allow you to sell your apps without having to pay anything.


Ah yes. I think I read something that had to do with XNA. That was my main concern. If we're allowed to sell XNA games without a license then I'm not worried.
Title: Re: Free Game but Selling Add-Ons?
Post by: SBR* on August 07, 2011, 04:21:39 am
Quote from: Blizzard on August 07, 2011, 03:27:42 am
because not buying RMXP is illegal.


lolwut? Sorry, I couldn't resist XD.
Title: Re: Free Game but Selling Add-Ons?
Post by: G_G on August 07, 2011, 05:36:41 am
Okay so I did some searching. I can make money from an XNA game targeting a Windows environment. However, I cannot do so with for an Xbox 360 Environment. Which is perfect in my case.
Title: Re: Free Game but Selling Add-Ons?
Post by: Blizzard on August 07, 2011, 08:55:24 am
Quote from: SBR* on August 07, 2011, 04:21:39 am
Quote from: Blizzard on August 07, 2011, 03:27:42 am
because not buying RMXP is illegal.


lolwut? Sorry, I couldn't resist XD.


I meant not buying it and using it. xD
Title: Re: Free Game but Selling Add-Ons?
Post by: nathmatt on August 07, 2011, 01:51:16 pm
that would be a good selling point buy my product it's illegal not too lol
Spoiler: ShowHide
car insurance