Chaos Project

Featured Projects => Advanced RPG Creator => Core Development => Topic started by: ForeverZer0 on September 08, 2011, 05:59:10 pm

Title: wxForms is a bitch.
Post by: ForeverZer0 on September 08, 2011, 05:59:10 pm
Seriously. I don't understand what the hell is going wrong with it.  I got the hang of the sizers so that things expand/contract as they should, but it I am having a problem with the "minimum size" of the panels.  Everything will look good in the editor, but once you start a test run, it initializes all big, and will not let you resize the window to any smaller.  I even went through and set every last object's minimum size to "1, 1", and it still did not work.

The reason I ask is this:  How important is the ability to have the editor panels resizable?  I understand that certain specific panels like the script editor and what not will be nice to have the function, but for the main database panels like Actors, Classes, Items, etc., what is the real benefit?  To be quite honest I have already made a few, and in my personal opinion I am unhappy with them.  

My proposal is that we make the main panels in the editor static frames.  Thoughts?

EDIT:
If we go static, I will have all the panels done within the next day (not all the actual function, obviously).  

EDIT:
:facepalm:
I started making a "static" panel, then realized my approach has been wrong.  I've been making panels, and not frames.  In my attempt to make it static, I just made a dynamically sizable one that behaves perfectly, all on accident.  I'll just continue to follow this style.  

Ah, the wonders of learning as you go... 
I still hope to get some serious work done on the editor now.  I'm not starting another project until this is done, I'm sick of my own procrastination.  I apologize for my lack of contribution lately.
Title: Re: wxForms is a bitch.
Post by: Ryex on September 08, 2011, 07:13:07 pm
... I feel your pain F0. I'v been there.
Title: Re: wxForms is a bitch.
Post by: ForeverZer0 on September 08, 2011, 07:22:56 pm
I'm actually having fun making the panels now.  One of the main reasons I've been avoiding this task is frustration with wxForms.  I just had a little moment of clarity with understanding how it works, and its smooth sailing now.  I'll do a couple panels tonight and upload to SVN.
Title: Re: wxForms is a bitch.
Post by: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:35:22 am
I've never worked with any wxSOMETHING, but I've hears scary stories. Naturally I am glad that I can just do the low level C++ part. <3