Chaos Project

RPG Maker => General Discussion => Topic started by: mroedesigns on September 12, 2011, 03:11:01 am

Title: Where to begin.
Post by: mroedesigns on September 12, 2011, 03:11:01 am
Where do you begin when mapping a world? As of yet the areas I've mapped have been for general testing purposes, and not for actual game play. I've got a world map and a general idea of how I want things arranged, but I don't know where to go from here Especially because I want a lot of the maps to have multiple exits, as to make the world seem more 'open'.

Any tips?
Title: Re: Where to begin.
Post by: SBR* on September 12, 2011, 03:14:34 pm
Begin with... spawn?
Title: Re: Where to begin.
Post by: AliveDrive on September 13, 2011, 12:50:39 am
I usually just decide what I want the map to be. I often start with an outdoors map.

Now it needs connecting maps that using the same or a similar tileset.

If there are any houses or indoor maps I make those next.

And to finish, connect your maps to the world map in a logical fashion.

Questions?
Title: Re: Where to begin.
Post by: winkio on September 13, 2011, 01:08:15 am
Quote from: AliveDrive on September 13, 2011, 12:50:39 am
Questions?


You want fries with that?

On a serious note, it helps to just make a rough sketch of the available pathways from map to map in a either image software or on paper, and then draw the shapes of the maps from there.  I think Blizz made a tutorial on it somewhere.
Title: Re: Where to begin.
Post by: Blizzard on September 13, 2011, 02:19:26 am
Good thinking, I forgot about that tutorial.

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,163.0.html
Title: Re: Where to begin.
Post by: mroedesigns on September 13, 2011, 02:34:17 am
Quote from: winkio on September 13, 2011, 01:08:15 am
On a serious note, it helps to just make a rough sketch of the available pathways from map to map in a either image software or on paper, and then draw the shapes of the maps from there.  I think Blizz made a tutorial on it somewhere.


Awesome, thanks guys. Just what I was looking for.  :)
Title: Re: Where to begin.
Post by: AliveDrive on September 13, 2011, 02:43:04 am
I forgot about this too.

Also:
Quote from: Calintz on February 14, 2008, 04:39:02 pm
I'm still looking forward to his Advanced Mapping tut...


Needless to say, Blizzard has retired. But I dream.
Title: Re: Where to begin.
Post by: mroedesigns on September 13, 2011, 02:50:55 am
Quote from: AliveDrive on September 13, 2011, 02:43:04 am
I forgot about this too.

Also:
Quote from: Calintz on February 14, 2008, 04:39:02 pm
I'm still looking forward to his Advanced Mapping tut...


Needless to say, Blizzard has retired. But I dream.


Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

Spoiler: ShowHide
what'd'ya say, blizz? :naughty:
Title: Re: Where to begin.
Post by: Blizzard on September 13, 2011, 02:51:32 am
Hey, that doesn't mean I can't do it. xD
Title: Re: Where to begin.
Post by: AliveDrive on September 13, 2011, 02:55:30 am
Well of course you CAN do it. The question is: will you?

My mapping could certainly use improving.

Anyways, no pressure, but it would be much appreciated to learn the inner workings of BlizzStyle.
Title: Re: Where to begin.
Post by: mroedesigns on September 13, 2011, 02:56:35 am
Quote from: Blizzard on September 13, 2011, 02:51:32 am
Hey, that doesn't mean I can't do it. xD


8-O

Quote from: AliveDrive on September 13, 2011, 02:55:30 am
Well of course you CAN do it. The question is: will you?

My mapping could certainly use improving.

Anyways, no pressure, but it would be much appreciated to learn the inner workings of BlizzStyle.


this.