Chaos Project

General => Chat => Topic started by: on December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm

Poll
Question: Which do you think should I use for my mini-thesis?
Option 1: Arshes Goes to Battle Camp votes: 0
Option 2: Chronicles of Sir Lags-a-Lot votes: 1
Option 3: Midnight: Genesis Project votes: 0
Option 4: Any game made by This Side Backwards votes: 0
Option 5: others (I posted) votes: 1
Title: My current situation
Post by: ShadowPierce on October 04, 2011, 10:21:06 am
->If you've read my post in the Welcome section, you might know now that I'm currently busy being the project leader of 2 thesis projects: Computer Programming 3 and Philippine Literature... Well I've got great news, I JUST GOT FREAKIN' ASSIGNED AS A PROJECT LEADER IN ANOTHER THESIS PROJECT!!!  :facepalm:
My professors: ShowHide
:troll:


This time, it's Design & Structure of Algorithms... We're supposed to "Pseudo-Reverse Engineer" any game in order to get  the algorithm used on the game and present it to a panel of judges... Basically, we're gonna read stuff from games to learn how it functions... Being a game developer myself, I somehow felt confident that I can do this easily... I even have my own game that I can present to them... :D

Then it hit me...

WIPE IS STILL NOTHING BUT MAP!!! :facepalm: :facepalm:
Spoiler: ShowHide
(not really, but it's still too empty to be presented)


So now I'm open for suggestions on which RMXP game to use (preferably just a few minutes to an hour long)... As much as possible, I'd want to use a game that doesn't use too much complicated scripts (so I don't have to explain those parts) and has interesting event systems, as event systems are basically scripts dressed up to be understood as an algorithm (which can then be used in any language)... Currently, I'm considering:

Arshes Goes to Battle Camp
CoSLaL
Midnight (by Zylos)
This Side Backwards' games

So what do you think would be best for my situation? :3


†
Title: Re: My current situation
Post by: Fantasist on October 04, 2011, 10:27:14 am
I say go with simple stuff like Pacman ._. I don't know to what extent you will be required to delve into the details of the game engine, but ANY RPG game is very complex. Go with simpler games liike Pacman, Asteroid or Tetris.
Title: Re: My current situation
Post by: ShadowPierce on October 04, 2011, 10:38:58 am
->The reason I'm using RMXP is because I can focus on the events where I don't need to learn a new language or translating script into words... We don't really need to explain everything, so I think this can slide through... :D

Also, events are already in Human format so it's a lot easier to explain and understand... :xD:


†
Title: Re: My current situation
Post by: Blizzard on October 04, 2011, 10:48:37 am
If you pick CoSLAL, you would have to analyze how Blizz-ABS is structured. If you take AGTBC, you have to analyze the new Blizz-ABS which is way more complex. I suggest CoSLAL. You can beat the whole game in 45 minutes and it doesn't even use all Blizz-ABS features, but it should be complex enough to provide enough material for your thesis.
Title: Re: My current situation
Post by: ShadowPierce on October 04, 2011, 09:23:33 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on October 04, 2011, 10:48:37 am
If you pick CoSLAL, you would have to analyze how Blizz-ABS is structured. If you take AGTBC, you have to analyze the new Blizz-ABS which is way more complex. I suggest CoSLAL. You can beat the whole game in 45 minutes and it doesn't even use all Blizz-ABS features, but it should be complex enough to provide enough material for your thesis.

->I see... CosLAL seems to be fairly easy, though AGTBC is a lot shorter (honestly finished all except the last one on my first try) but has more features to analyze...  :hm:

I MIGHT go with CoSLAL since it has its fair share of events, unless someone makes new suggestions... :haha:

Again, we're not required to analyze the whole game... We're not even required to finish the game... We just need any algorithm from a game (Preferably linear with a few branches) which is why I'd prefer games with more events and event systems... I am yet to study Ruby and I only have a vague understanding of it that's why it'd be better if there are less scipts to explain... :3

More votes please! :D


†
Title: Re: My current situation
Post by: winkio on October 04, 2011, 09:25:46 pm
If you are just looking at a specific algorithm, any of the AIs used in AGTBC would work pretty well - they are straight forward and there's really nothing else distracting getting in the way.  If you need something more complex though, CoSLAL is much better.
Title: Re: My current situation
Post by: Blizzard on October 05, 2011, 02:41:25 am
Yeah, CoSLAL is more like an actual use of several things at the same time so it might be better if you want something linear with a few branches. Depends on how complex it should be. I mean, you can always take it and just analyze it superficially and not go too much into detail, that's also an option.