Chaos Project

RPG Maker => Resources => Topic started by: DeathLock on June 20, 2008, 04:29:47 pm

Title: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: DeathLock on June 20, 2008, 04:29:47 pm
Well, seeing that there are some talented artists here, I would like some criticism over a half-kaizer sprite I made.

Sasuke Heshina
(http://i30.tinypic.com/2saz9jm.jpg)

I'm still not sure if I did the shading right on the clothing, so I'm going to need some opinions if its good, or should I improve it. Also, I've posted it here to see if I did the shading right. After that, I'll be adding more accessories, details, etc to the clothing.

If you wish to be credited over your criticism please say so.
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: Starrodkirby86 on June 20, 2008, 05:06:08 pm
Half-Kaizer! Whoa, I thought I was never going to see that again...All right. I'll help, although I'm a sucker at shading as well...:(

If you simply did a copy and paste for the clothing, which it somewhat looks like (But I don't know...), then there would be a shading problem unless the light source would be from the top down...I can't tell where light sources are though, so I'm just blabbing out a possible if-and-buts situations I suppose. Now that I look at it again, it looks very symmetrical. I'm a symmetry fan myself, but I don't know if that works well in the world of spriting on the front pose.

I like it nevertheless, and his name is Sasuke. Made me giggle a bit, not because of Naruto...Okay, well, yeah, it's kind of like Naruto. But I didn't think much of Naruto with Sasuke...:\
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: DeathLock on June 20, 2008, 05:11:47 pm
Everything is from scratch, except the template.
Also, that's the problem I'm not sure of the light source and shading. Thanks for trying to help me.
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: Calintz on June 20, 2008, 06:48:00 pm
The only real problem I see is that it gets just a little bit too light near wear his pants meet his body.
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: DeathLock on June 20, 2008, 06:56:14 pm
Didn't notice that, I'll fix up the shading for the next update. Thanks, Calintz.
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: Phasedscar on June 20, 2008, 10:22:44 pm
My suggestion is somewhat near Calintz.  That is most of it is just really light.  Use a few darker colors (sparingly) to add some definition to the shading.  And the pants should be raised a pixel or two so it doesn't look like it's barely covering his crotch  :-X.  Also, the pants should be slightly darker in general since the coat is putting it into shadow.
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: DeathLock on June 21, 2008, 02:08:26 pm
Its only proper to say thank you for your criticism.

Sprite Update!
New:
(http://i30.tinypic.com/2saz9jm.jpg)

Old:
(http://i27.tinypic.com/21jq64y.jpg)

This is the difference between the two, any comments would be appreciated.
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: Aqua on June 21, 2008, 02:12:27 pm
From what I know, HK sprites' light source is usually at the top right.

The shading you have is symmetrical which means that the light source is coming directly over the guy's head.

Also, his abs don't really look shaded at all.  Add a shadow that the coat makes to the abs at least.

And his pants seem weird... lol
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: DeathLock on June 21, 2008, 02:20:29 pm
I just edited the post, the shading on the pants is done. I'll try to fix the shading on his abs of the coat. I don't know for the pants, just followed Phasedscar's advice for the pants shading.
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: Calintz on June 22, 2008, 02:18:41 am
I still see the same problem. I wasn't talking about the coat. I'm talking about his abs. He doesn't have any, but the area where they should be is way too light.
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: DeathLock on June 22, 2008, 08:05:23 am
I still didn't fix his abs, I said that in the last post.

Well, this was just a practice sprite. I'm recreating it, and take all of these advice into use.
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: Sally on June 22, 2008, 08:28:40 pm
umm,.. his chest looks boxy...
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: Starrodkirby86 on June 23, 2008, 12:36:11 am
Quote from: Susys on June 22, 2008, 08:28:40 pm
umm,.. his chest looks boxy...

HK Template: ShowHide
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2711/maletempfinalstandrtp2ye.png

Looks pretty boxy to me...Does this guy not have a six-pack? O.o

Good luck DeathLock by the way of your new sprite, hope it looks beautiful. ^^
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: Calintz on June 23, 2008, 12:43:20 am
Along Starrodkirby...

Even if this fellow doesn't have a six-pack; with a chest as full as his, he should have some definition in or around his stomach. Even if it is just a line down the middle.
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: legacyblade on July 19, 2008, 12:48:01 pm
I like the updated version, you're good at HK spriting. the only advice I have is just add a little more definition in the arms. Do this by putting an few even brighter highlights, preferably where it would make sense due to the shape of his arm. Other than that, it looks great. I personally think it'd look fine in game, and would use it for mine how it is now, that's just what I can think of to make it better.
Title: Re: DL's HK Sprite(s), Criticism Needed.
Post by: DeathLock on July 19, 2008, 01:46:16 pm
Wow, you surely know how to bring up an old topic. XD

Anyways, this was only a practice sprite, so I've already looked up a few tutorials and improved my spriting. ^_^