I've been thinking which would be better to use for my game, facesets or character busts. For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
This is a faceset:
(http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/giogdgd12/WipeIntro2.png)
While this is a character bust:
(http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/giogdgd12/ConceptArt1.png)
Yeah, I know... It sucks...
Originally, I planned to use character busts for my game because I thought not many indie games do that, and that would give a more detailed visualization of the characters' physical appearance... However, try as I might, it just doesn't come out as I imagined... I tried looking for graphic artists but the good ones want to be paid, which I just can't afford... :<_<:
On the other hand, facesets are free and can be generated easily with a program... It would also be a lot easier to generate various emotions for each character depending on the dialogue... Although it's easier, it just doesn't compare to a character bust... :(
If I would continue making my own character busts, it would feel more fulfilling and I'd be more satisfied, but it might take forever for me to finish one for each main character... :^_^':
I'm at a loss right now, so I want opinions... Though your opinions will affect my final decision, it will still be my own decision so don't worry about being blamed... :D
You pretty much already nailed it down, the pros and cons. I, personally, don't like character busts too much. They take up too much screen and I kinda enjoy seeing the little sprites interact with each other.
Quote from: User #1 on March 12, 2012, 09:38:52 am
I kinda enjoy seeing the little sprites interact with each other.
That can easily be resolved with a little fade out whenever sprites do actions.
Although I do prefer character busts, it's getting frustrating how much time it takes to draw something as simple as that plate of ugliness up there... :xD:
I can always get some busts from visual novel rips, but then I'll have to stray from my original character concept... :P
Bump. Need more opinions... :/
I personally like character busts. But yeah, it'd definitely be a lot more effort. But you don't go into making games thinking it'll be a cake-walk anyways. If you really feel like character busts would be preferable and you're really serious, I say bust your ass and implement busts. If you're not too serious, I say do whatever.
Quote from: Blizzard on March 12, 2012, 09:38:52 am
You pretty much already nailed it down, the pros and cons. I, personally, don't like character busts too much. They take up too much screen and I kinda enjoy seeing the little sprites interact with each other.
I guess if you pull off the screen design really well, this problem wouldn't be as big a problem. Although, I'd say busts might detract attention from the player when it's needed elsewhere. I still like busts though xD
I like busts because you can see the female character's breasts in them.
Now for serious. I like them, especially how they are pulled off in Baten Kaitos.
(http://a35.idata.over-blog.com/0/07/68/13/bk1.jpg)
As you can see, it's kind of a mix between both.. nice, detailed characters, plenty of screen space. Ideal solution imho.
This game also is a piece of art.
(http://images.wikia.com/batenkaitos/images/c/c6/Nunki_Valley-Sadal_Suud-view.jpg)
Actually, you should all abandon your game ideas now and play Baten Kaitos instead.
I thought a "Bust" was the Chest to Head images. Examples of it are in the RMVX RTP, not the actual Faces in the game.
I think those are nicely done in a game if well executed. "Well Executed" meaning attractive detail in the bust,
balancing transparency in the image, justified size and space taken by the bust, and the transition of an entering and
exiting bust. However, that's high end stuff, but if I can make a bust (I have a Bamboo Tablet) I would show you what
I mean visually. But I'm too lazy, probably next year.
Edit:
These are the RMVX Character Bust:
(http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m632/subluxational/RPG%20maker%20VX%20material/Angela.png)
(http://divisionheaven.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/ralphh.png?w=700&h=)
(http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2141/face018.png)
Actually, it was wrong to call mine busts... Portraits would be more appropriate... :P
Also, I decided to use both portraits and facesets for my game... Facesets for dialogue while portraits for the menu... :3