Chaos Project

RPG Maker => Resources => Topic started by: Vexus on March 16, 2012, 05:54:39 am

Title: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: Vexus on March 16, 2012, 05:54:39 am
Currently I don't have much done but slowly I'm adding more.

These are the current sprites I edited for my upcoming project:

(http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/8831/clownzombie1.png)
(http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5571/zombiestyle2.png)
(http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/7859/zombiestyle1.png)
(http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9069/zombiestyles.png)

As you can see, there are versions of the same sprite but I'm going to try and add as many variations as possible. (I was thinking on the possibility on having the variations as the same character ingame. Meaning when damaged till a specific amount it's sprite switches. That might take me a lot tough, having to do variations for every possible sprite I'll do, we'll see in the future.)

So.... what do you think? Good/Bad/Dunno

Please let me know :)
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: Dweller on March 16, 2012, 08:10:50 am
The sprite looks weirs because it use 256 colors. Is better to reduce the palette to less than 24 colors for this small sprites (you can use photoshop to reduce colors). Despite the colors, I like them (may use more contrast on the blood).
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: Vexus on March 16, 2012, 08:38:36 am
These sprites are complete on all sides it's just I prefer having them for my game only.

The game will be in black and white apart of the red colour.
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: MarkHest on March 17, 2012, 07:29:33 pm
Why reduce the color?!
I think it looks awesome! :D
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: Dweller on March 18, 2012, 02:06:30 am
Quote from: MarkHest on March 17, 2012, 07:29:33 pm
Why reduce the color?!
I think it looks awesome! :D


Yes, the character (in shape , composition and shadows) looks nice, but it gots a smooth effect caused by the use of to many colors (probably by using brush or effects tools). Is easy to reduce them to 24-32 colors and the smooth effect will dissapear.

There is not a rule that you can use this type of characters on games but if you see for example, Enterbrain RTP, you can see that they use pixel art characters (made pixel by pixel, no effects tools, and using a small palette of colors) and this one is not a pixel art character.

The character is great but the use of to many colors, in my opinion, drops quality.
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: Vexus on March 18, 2012, 06:43:00 am
You mean like this?

(http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/8831/clownzombie1.png)

To be honest the difference is barely visible unless you check between one and the other having your face almost into the screen.
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: Dweller on March 18, 2012, 07:44:14 am
Quote from: Vexus on March 18, 2012, 06:43:00 am
You mean like this?

(http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/8831/clownzombie1.png)

To be honest the difference is barely visible unless you check between one and the other having your face almost into the screen.


I prefer this one, but it's up to you to keep using a 256 colors for this sprite. I think you will work a little on the blood contrast to improve the blood appearance.
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: ForeverZer0 on March 18, 2012, 01:41:10 pm
Simply comparing the two side-by-side does not reveal a lot of difference, but if you put the sprite with perfect shading and lots of colors into a game that is RTP-styled, the sprite will stand out to much and look a little strange.
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: Vexus on March 18, 2012, 09:50:57 pm
I actually test the sprites in my first post ingame to see how they fit with the ambience colours.

Say:

Spoiler: ShowHide
(http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5149/alivetestmap.png)


(Note. This is just a sample map that I'm testing sprites on, it's not the actual tileset I'm trying to use for the project. The flowers having colour red is just something I'm going to turn into black and white like the rest most probably.)

I'll try make a version with lower colour and put it on the sample map to see the differences.

from Blizz: Use Spoilers~
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: KobraStatik on March 18, 2012, 10:56:54 pm
This seems like a really cool game; the sprites look very good in the screenshot, they go along with the scenery nicely. Interesting black-and-white concept; I've never seen a game like that before. Can't wait to see it. :3
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: ForeverZer0 on March 18, 2012, 11:04:27 pm
What I said doesn't really apply when its all gray-scale, and it does look pretty good. I had thought it would be used in a traditional tilemap with normal color schemes used in most games. I think it looks just fine in the image you have above. :)
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: Vexus on March 19, 2012, 07:42:46 am
I haven't started anything on this project yet apart of doing some sprites in advance when I'm bored on the current project I'm doing.

Yea they fit with the scenery sadly I can't seem to find decent modern tilesets, really don't want to use the rtp tilesets this time.
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: Vexus on May 21, 2012, 03:12:36 pm
A small update on this thread.

I started a small experiment on one of the zombies downed sprite (It's going to take me a lot of time to have them in different positions so for now I have one a little elevated with 3d in photoshop)

(http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6764/zombiedown1.png)

I'll get some downed versions on the sides and back too with different effects. I also would seriously love to have some of the downed versions like RTP basic ones too but I'm not sure I'll do them for now as I would need to redraw them from fresh :/.

Anyway let me know what you people think about it.

[Edit]

I made a more "3D rotated" version which I think looks better on the map but I'll just ask here for your opinion ppl if the one on the right looks better as a downed zombie than the left one.

(Wish I could also find a script on having blood remaining on the ground when hit but will see in the future.)
Title: Re: Feedback on some character sprites I'm editing.
Post by: Seltzer Cole on May 28, 2012, 12:03:15 am
I think your sprites look awesome personally. Keep up the good work!