Chaos Project

RPG Maker => RPG Maker Scripts => Script Troubleshooting => Topic started by: Stray on April 24, 2012, 04:17:32 pm

Title: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: Stray on April 24, 2012, 04:17:32 pm
I've got this strange problem with the UMS Message System... maybe it wasn't included:

The script makes it possible to show more than 4 Choices while an dialogue.
Actually this is very useful. You just have to put the choices underneath.
But you have to set the amount of choices with the script call "$game_temp.num_choices = (amount of choice-commands at once)" in the very first line of the event.
Simple Example: ShowHide
(http://oi44.tinypic.com/ziww05.jpg)


Now the issue:
You can't make new choices inside a choice. The script makes a mess out of the whole thing.
As an example, you want this to be shown: ShowHide
(http://oi43.tinypic.com/16b0idx.jpg)

And this is what you see in gameplay: ShowHide
(http://oi44.tinypic.com/3496jcj.jpg)


Example Project (234 KB) (http://www.2shared.com/file/6QQHGO8h/UMSissue.html)
If the download doesn't work please tell me.
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: ForeverZer0 on April 24, 2012, 05:17:07 pm
Its because the script is only checking the numerical code of each line to check if it is a "Show Choices" event, and is ignoring the indent level. Its something that would be easy to overlook, I know I probably would have.
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: Stray on April 24, 2012, 08:11:48 pm
I know, it's classic but I can't script. Is there any solution to this?
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: Andreavnn on April 24, 2012, 08:31:25 pm
Couldn't you do something like use the script command then the next line down use the actual built is choice option in RPGXP?

@>Script: $game_temp.num_choices = 2
@> Text: Text Message
@>Show Choices: Option, Option, Option, Option   <---CMS Options Command
 :When [Option]
   @> Show Choices: Option, Option, Option   <---RPGXP Options Command


*EDIT* Nevermind, I think that is what you are doing and trying to get fixed. Sorry was at work and read it in a hurry.  :facepalm:
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: stripe103 on April 25, 2012, 01:19:29 am
If it works, there is a simple fix to that which don't involve scripting, and that is to, instead of having the next commands there, have something that changes the event page and have the new options on the new page instead.
I'm not sure it works but since the event commands are seperated it could work. Worth a try.
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: Vexus on April 25, 2012, 06:17:55 am
I know that is an example but if your going to have 4 choices then more choices appear depending on what choice you previously picked wouldn't it be easy to use the normal way?

There's no need to have an option as cancel since you can press esc or x (Unless controls are changed) to exit the choice list.
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: Stray on April 25, 2012, 10:54:59 am
@stripe103:
In bigger conversations between the protagonist and the NPC's, it would be totally confusing using a new event page everytime I'd only add a new choice box.
Also, my switches-index would explode.

Quote from: Vexus on April 25, 2012, 06:17:55 am
I know that is an example but if your going to have 4 choices then more choices appear depending on what choice you previously picked wouldn't it be easy to use the normal way?

There's no need to have an option as cancel since you can press esc or x (Unless controls are changed) to exit the choice list.


I'm not sure what you mean, maybe it's my english. I need that part of the script. Not only for a cancel which doesn't fit in the choices anymore.
As example I let the hero choose something like colours for something...
> Red
> Blue
> Yellow
> Brown
> Pink
> Purple
... whatever.
I want to use this, because it's very useful. Especially much bigger dialogues.

Is there no way to make a small correct, that this script call doesn't have to stand on the first line, but just above the next choices?
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: Vexus on April 25, 2012, 11:02:02 am
Probably something could be done I'm no scripter just spewing out suggestions :)

What I meant was did you try using these choices then instead of trying another show choices inside the choice using the event command show choices?

Not sure if it would work and that would still give you a limit of 4 choices but it's a good start for now if it works.
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: stripe103 on April 25, 2012, 12:02:29 pm
Quote from: Stray on April 25, 2012, 10:54:59 am
Also, my switches-index would explode.

That's why you use one single variable for all of the conversations instead :)
You can just have the variable change to the index of the option that the player choose, and then go to the appropriate event page.
Also, it most likely only requires one variable because it isn't often that you need to store the option that the player chooses, and if this is what you want, you would need to use switches anyway, so it don't matter :)

Anyway, if you think that it's too much hazzle with that many pages(which I fully understand) then I can't do much more for you, sorry. I don't know how you can fix that, script-wise.
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: diagostimo on April 25, 2012, 05:42:59 pm
on the note of using variables to control which option menu is being shown, it could be posible to have it all in one event page, by giving each option menu a condition to a variable, heres an example of what i mean:

condition variable[1] == 0
 @>Show Choices: Option1, Option2, Option3, Option4
   :When [Option1]
     control variable[1] = 1
   :When [Option2]
     control variable[1] = 2
   :When [Option3]
     control variable[1] = 3
   :When [Option4]
     control variable[1] = 4
condition variable[1] == 1
 @>Show Choices: Option1, Option2, Option3, Option4
   :When [Option1]
   
   :When [Option2]
   
   :When [Option3]
   
   :When [Option4]
   
condition variable[1] == 2
 @>Show Choices: Option1, Option2, Option3, Option4
etc,
i dont know if it 100% work but it very well could :)
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: Stray on April 26, 2012, 05:29:10 pm
Although these are nice ideas, I think it's not very neat to make that much Event pages....
I think you lose the view about your choices if you're doing that, especially in bigger projects and longer conversations.
You have to go back everytime to the last site, if you want to look for which choice the number of variable stands for... and that's not very pleasant.
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: diagostimo on April 26, 2012, 05:38:52 pm
i know its a pain rather than just indenting the choices, but these are just temp fixes until someone experienced enough can make a fix, did you try asking the author they could fix it?
Title: Re: UMS message system - 'More than 4 Choices at once' Problem
Post by: Stray on April 26, 2012, 05:50:21 pm
@diagostimo link:
Unfortunately, the autor is inactive.