Chaos Project

RPG Maker => General Discussion => Topic started by: GrimTrigger on May 03, 2012, 10:03:31 pm

Title: What is going on? (rmxp acting strange)
Post by: GrimTrigger on May 03, 2012, 10:03:31 pm
I was going back to my first map to look it over, which is generated from a master tile set. Up until yesterday I had no issues with which tiles could be crossed by the player or not but all of a sudden I'm encountering a big problem. Normally, I've had the first and second layer able to create barrier, such as the water tile forming rivers, undulations making short hills, etc. For whatever reason, now only the third layer, (topmost before the event layer) seems to retain these properties. Essentially, I can cross almost anything unhindered now, but some tiles still block me, with no clear reason as to why.

tl;dr Unknown why I can walk across tiles that normally would stop me. Seems to be layer related, but inconsistent.
Title: Re: What is going on? (rmxp acting strange)
Post by: GrimTrigger on May 05, 2012, 12:10:43 am
wow, no takers? I'm convinced it's some weird passage issue. If i can't resolve it, I'm not sure I can make a game only using the third layer as the barrier one. Might just dump this program, if it isn't even going to function properly....
Title: Re: What is going on? (rmxp acting strange)
Post by: winkio on May 05, 2012, 12:36:14 am
probably need to fix the priority on the empty background tile of your tileset
Title: Re: What is going on? (rmxp acting strange)
Post by: AliveDrive on May 05, 2012, 09:00:02 pm
Could you maybe post a screenshot?

I don't quite understand the problem.
Title: Re: What is going on? (rmxp acting strange)
Post by: GrimTrigger on May 05, 2012, 09:30:43 pm
Quote from: AliveDrive on May 05, 2012, 09:00:02 pm
Could you maybe post a screenshot?

I don't quite understand the problem.



Screen shot wouldn't help. Just imagine you can walk across a tile that normally would stop you. Say you set a tile in the tileset that shows a stump, and you set it so you can't walk across it. Normally, no matter which layer I place that tile on, the tile would prevent me from crossing.

Now, all of a sudden, I find only the third layer seems to keep the restriction you place in the tileset tab in place....all other layers let you waltz straight across.
Title: Re: What is going on? (rmxp acting strange)
Post by: winkio on May 05, 2012, 11:55:28 pm
Quote from: winkio on May 05, 2012, 12:36:14 am
probably DEFINITELY need to fix the priority on the empty background tile of your tileset
Title: Re: What is going on? (rmxp acting strange)
Post by: Landith on May 06, 2012, 12:05:28 am
^^ That's what I'm thinking. You probably didn't use the default empty tile and one of your white tiles are non-passable.
Title: Re: What is going on? (rmxp acting strange)
Post by: Zexion on May 06, 2012, 03:07:30 am
or check to see if it only happens in testing mode, try it on a blank or clean project. This has happened to me before, though I don't remember what I did to fix it. All I know is at one point I had the player able to run using ctrl+arrow keys, and that cause me to be able to run through everything. I later learned that if you hold down ctrl while walking in test mode, it ignores priorities.

Also tell us what scripts you are using :P
Title: Re: What is going on? (rmxp acting strange)
Post by: Heretic86 on May 06, 2012, 05:21:33 am
If you use Empty Tiles to erase tiles you dont want, make sure you only use the one in the very Top Left corner.  The other Empty Tiles will allow your player to seemingly walk through unwalkable areas.

Quick Tip:  I find it useful to take one of those Empty Tiles and set it to be Unpassable by the player with no priority.  I find lots of places where it is useful for preventing passage over things that shouldnt allow passage, like the edges of Shadow Tiles for Large Trees.  Took me a while to figure that one out.
Title: Re: What is going on? (rmxp acting strange)
Post by: GrimTrigger on May 06, 2012, 06:36:24 pm
Quote from: Heretic86 on May 06, 2012, 05:21:33 am
If you use Empty Tiles to erase tiles you dont want, make sure you only use the one in the very Top Left corner.  The other Empty Tiles will allow your player to seemingly walk through unwalkable areas.

Quick Tip:  I find it useful to take one of those Empty Tiles and set it to be Unpassable by the player with no priority.  I find lots of places where it is useful for preventing passage over things that shouldnt allow passage, like the edges of Shadow Tiles for Large Trees.  Took me a while to figure that one out.


Yep that fixed it. Thanks. I didn't think that one tile was any different than the others....now I need to go over all these maps where I've erased things with whatever blank tile was available.....

(http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/199/693/disgusted-mother-of-god.png?1321272571)
Title: Re: What is going on? (rmxp acting strange)
Post by: Spaceman McConaughey on May 06, 2012, 08:38:50 pm
Quote from: Heretic86 on May 06, 2012, 05:21:33 am
If you use Empty Tiles to erase tiles you dont want, make sure you only use the one in the very Top Left corner.  The other Empty Tiles will allow your player to seemingly walk through unwalkable areas.

Quick Tip:  I find it useful to take one of those Empty Tiles and set it to be Unpassable by the player with no priority.  I find lots of places where it is useful for preventing passage over things that shouldnt allow passage, like the edges of Shadow Tiles for Large Trees.  Took me a while to figure that one out.


Wow. This has fixed the problem I've had for a few years. THANK YOU.

I feel like such an idiot for not realizing that was it... ._.