I stumbled upon HTML5Test.com (You can test your browser to see how well it supports HTML5 and whatnot). According to this link here (http://html5test.com/results/desktop.html), Maxthon has the highest score. This is the first time I've ever heard of this browser. Previously it had a (meaningless) score of 476, but after some research, apparently they scammed it.
http://www.favbrowser.com/maxthon-scams-its-score-in-html5test-com/
They enabled features that didn't work. It doesn't seem to support WebGL like the others. (Chrome, FireFox, Opera) I went ahead and tried it out. They have a speed dial which is slightly different but looks a lot like Opera's. The Speed Dial is limited to three pages it looks like, (Unless I'm missing a setting) As for speed, it runs fast, it seems smooth, but honestly, I think it's just a fancy UI.
QuoteExclusive Features
No other browser does more right out of the box. Maxthon 3 comes with free cloud services: store your bookmarks and notes securely on the web for anytime, anywhere access. Share screen grabs with the built-inSnap feature; To make a quick jump to power user watch this video or check out What´s New in Maxthon.
I'm pretty sure Opera and Chrome both do this. Not sure about FireFox, haven't used it in ages. They're trying to make it sound like no one else does this and they're coming off as original. (In my opinion anyways, you might disagree.)
QuoteMaxthon 3 comes with a browser engine that draws web pages 200% faster than Google Chrome. See for yourself. Not sure? See what others say about the speed of Maxthon.
Seems a little fishy to me. I have nothing else to say about this.
http://www.maxthon.com/mx3/
This entire page just makes me think the browser is trying to copy Chrome and Opera. The UI looks and feels a lot like Chrome. It has quite a few of the same features Opera and Chrome both provide.
Anyways, I just heard of this browser today, anybody else know about it or are they as clueless as I am? What are your thoughts on this browser?
I have seen links for it over at nsane.down, but have never tried. If I remember correctly, it is built off of the Internet Explorer engine, which tells me enough.
The IE engine is good enough. What older IE versions did with it was rape, though. But IE hasn't been that crappy for years now. It's mainly suffering from a bad reputation.
This Maxthon browser seems to promise a lot of bullshit. Page rendering is usually only limited by Internet speed. Even if it is twice as faster as Chrome, the different between a second and half a second of rendering is virtually insignificant. As the rendering engine, according to Wikipedia it supports both WebKit (Chrome's and Safari' rendering engine) and Trident. So yeah. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxthon I'm not really convinced it may be better. I was actually hoping it would be lightweight or something, but it seems it's just being bloated as time passes, too.
no, IE still sucks in comparison to the other browsers. It works fine and dandy for just general web browsing but beyond that its support and power are lagging badly. Chrome and fire fox STILL render faster by a large margin, it have absolutely 0 HTML5 support so things like canvas ect do not work. it still has strange display bugs that shouldn't exist with a standards compliment browser. and it's plugin support is still buggy, (flash crashes a lot when I use IE)if your that average joe IE works fine. if you want more out of your internet experience IE just doesn't cut it.
from a development stand point. a browser that forces you to cater to it's render with special setup of you page is still crap no matter how much better it has gotten.
Oh IE, whenever I heard your name (IE below 7), I got this shiver on my back, remembering how I have to code entirely different CSS to work with it. All for "compatibility" said my boss, oh god nobody using old IE (below 7) anymore.
Back to topic, browser are not matter of score if the differences are not significant. Not every websites displays intense flash animation or any JS/HTML5 animation. Did you comfortable with the interface ? Did it render pages properly (following latest HTML5 standard) ? Do you want some add-ons to work with it ? Was it stable ?
I tried it for some time, here are my thoughts :
1. I don't like the UI, I agree it has similarities with different browsers, but for me, it has too much gimmick bar. Oh how I love Chrome's simplicity
2. Free cloud service that stores your configuration, browsing behavior, bookmarks ? Is it trusted ? My privacy is at risk so I don't use it. Besides, chrome links your everything with your google account, so I just have to focus in a single account.
3. I can't find my chrome's plug-ins equivalent here, I need those.
4. It loads slower than Chrome; yes firefox/aurora was slower but whenever I want a quick look at some link, Chrome did that well to me. (I have a habit to open links in website, satisfied, then close the tab, close the browser. So yeah, chrome for me, despite I'm currently using SSD)
Bottom line, Chrome is the best.
Quote from: azdesign on August 30, 2012, 06:17:09 am
2. Free cloud service that stores your configuration, browsing behavior, bookmarks ? Is it trusted ? My privacy is at risk so I don't use it. Besides, chrome links your everything with your google account, so I just have to focus in a single account.
Let me just point out that Google uses Chrome for data-mining of all kind of data from its users. And that's not just limited to Chrome. Google probably has a huge record on each one of us. So if you're concerned about privacy, you'd best stay away from Google completely and that includes Chrome.
I know, chrome + gmail is botnet, irony. That's why since few months ago I create new email with fake identity to use it with chrome for daily-not-so-important task. Gmail and chrome sometimes help me ease with stuff such as social, login this and that, notification in forums. Well, nothing critical so I think I'll do just fine.
I use live for work-related, important, personal mail, but never actually sync it with anything. Open it using opera, always delete any remains after finishes. All of my files are just in my offline location. Nothing safe in the internet :D. Oh lol looks like every big companies which software we use make us paranoid in privacy