Chaos Project

RPG Maker => General Discussion => Topic started by: Zexion on April 09, 2013, 08:56:46 pm

Title: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: Zexion on April 09, 2013, 08:56:46 pm
Okay, so I just finished bitching out someone on youtube for not only forgetting to mention the people who's music/art/scripts he used, but also trying to pass them off as if he did them. I was just doing the usual search on kh fan games because I feel the need to see who's are better than mine and improve lol, and I came across his video. He used some sprites off of google images, some generic vx battle system, and a remixed/rock version of a kingdom hearts song. All of which, I know, he didn't make. I've seen almost everything kh related, so I know exactly where he got it all lol because the chances are I have them too.

In the comments people ask where did you get this, how long did it take to make that, nice this, etc. Instead of saying oh well I didn't make this, so and so did, he just says something like: "Thanks! It was really hard making [...]". Idk, but being someone who likes to make my own shiz, and release for the public, I would honestly hate if someone acts as if they made it. It would make me kinda angry that I spent a while on it and someone is claiming they did it instead... I don't mind not being credited at all, but when it's claimed as someone else's I get really mad.

What do you guys think? Am I being a hoe, or does it also grind your gears when people do these stupid things.
Just as an example, it would be like someone using blizz abs in a vid, and saying "It's 100% custom made by me, and not based off anything else. I spent blah blah time on it".

BTW: It's worth mentioning that I had no intention of starting something when I went lol. I watched and I was entertained, but then I scrolled and that's when I was like...uhh?
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: winkio on April 10, 2013, 02:01:59 am
Oh man, there has been a history of this sort of thing in the RM community.  I definitely agree that you shouldn't pass off other people's work as your own.

Here is my view:

If you are not distributing a product, then you do not need explicit credits.  So if you put up a video or a game demo, then you don't need to say where you got everything from. 

However, once you begin distributing an official product, even if it is free, and even if it is unfinished or in an alpha/beta build, it needs to have explicit credits of everything used.
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: Blizzard on April 10, 2013, 02:26:11 am
I'm a bit more liberal on this. I surely have resources in my game that were taken from unknown sources so I basically can't credit them. I'm ok with people distributing free stuff even without proper credits, but they should at least try to find them.

I'm also fine if I don't get credited if it's a free project. But if it's a commercial project, I would like credit.

Obviously none of us likes it when somebody else claims their work as their own. I believe that your reaction was completely justified.
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: Zexion on April 10, 2013, 11:24:14 am
Phew, thanks for that, guys. I'm glad to see we share similar views. I actually agree with both of you, but I actually do not mind not being credited at all in both free/commercial products, seeing as all I've made is KH related. I just don't tolerate someone taking credit of it -_-

It wasn't my stuff anyway, but the amount of material he tried to take credit for was ridiculous...

He commented back, and he mentioned that he credits them on the website in the description. Which he does for the most part, but he still took credit in the comments section. I just told him that he should be honest is all, and basically that since it's not commercial; no one expects credits. That being said, it is still wrong to take credit. Overall I used a much cooler tone in this post lol
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: KK20 on April 10, 2013, 11:03:51 pm
...Phew? Your thoughts are completely justified. In fact, anyone who thinks otherwise is probably insane and has been expelled from school (lol plagiarism...)
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: Zexion on April 10, 2013, 11:09:29 pm
Quote from: KK20 on April 10, 2013, 11:03:51 pm
...Phew?


I was worried I came off as a little ... uhh bitchy mean? lolol
Also, it's funny because I've never once "forgotten" to credit a source or even use a proper parenthetical. It kinda goes hand-in-hand with my "give credit where due" mentality lol.
Spoiler: ShowHide
...and basic MLA paper guidelines...
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: Blizzard on April 11, 2013, 02:17:09 am
Quote from: Zexion on April 10, 2013, 11:09:29 pm
I was worried I came off as a little ... uhh bitchy mean?


You should have seen me the last time somebody tried to steal something from me.
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: MarkHest on April 11, 2013, 07:25:18 am
Like that time with JanreMotaza or whatever his name was? (can't remember)
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: PhoenixFire on April 12, 2013, 10:38:53 am
Quote from: MarkHest on April 11, 2013, 07:25:18 am
Like that time with JanreMotaza or whatever his name was? (can't remember)


I think it was JanraeMendoza... Though I could be wrong.

Quote from: winkio on April 10, 2013, 02:01:59 am
If you are not distributing a product, then you do not need explicit credits.  So if you put up a video or a game demo, then you don't need to say where you got everything from. 

However, once you begin distributing an official product, even if it is free, and even if it is unfinished or in an alpha/beta build, it needs to have explicit credits of everything used.


I completely agree with Winkio here. If you're not openly distributing something, it an be assumed that it is still in production, therefore, not a finished product. Once it leaves your computer and starts being played, tested, etc. you need to give credit where credit is due, because at that point, you need to ensure that people know who did what. Not only is it common courtesy, but it also gives you an exuse for who to blame if someone elses part goes wrong :3 (just kidding about that part)
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: Heretic86 on April 12, 2013, 07:53:28 pm
Quote from: KK20 on April 10, 2013, 11:03:51 pm
...Phew? Your thoughts are completely justified. In fact, anyone who thinks otherwise is probably insane and has been expelled Graduated from school (lol plagiarism...)


Fixed.  That is, after all, what they teach in schools now.  How to cheat AND get away with it.  I mean, just look at Microsoft...
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: KK20 on April 12, 2013, 10:04:12 pm
Plagiarism =/= Cheating

\=(

I will admit that I have used ideas from others and claim that I cited it from a different article/source in my essays.
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: Blizzard on April 12, 2013, 11:23:06 pm
Quote from: DigitalSoul on April 12, 2013, 10:38:53 am
I think it was JanraeMendoza... Though I could be wrong.


It doesn't matter, the issue has been resolved.
Title: Re: Taking credit for other people's work?
Post by: Zexion on April 13, 2013, 06:59:36 pm
I dont really know about the whole teaching us to cheat in school... My professors still threaten to drop us of we cheat...