Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Video Games => Topic started by: G_G on August 26, 2014, 07:55:56 am

Title: 3DS Homebrew Finally Coming
Post by: G_G on August 26, 2014, 07:55:56 am
For awhile now, Smealum (a fairly popular 3DS hacker) has been working on a homebrew loader for the 3DS. He's found an exploit in a particular game that works on firmwares 4.5 to 8.1 (as of writing this). He'll be releasing the homebrew loader soon, but it does require owning a specific game. This game is available in physical retail or digital over on the eShop. As for that game? He has yet to release the name of the game but it'll be sometime this week. This particular exploit is known as a usermode exploit, which means it has limited access, and cannot lead to piracy (well, other than the slight possible piracy from emulating older consoles).

According to his twitter, he's already gotten a SNES emulator to run on the 3DS. This opens up a huge door to the 3DS scene, mostly for emulators taking advantage of the 3DS's hardware over using standard DS flashcarts and emulating with an onboard CPU.

I'd keep an eye out on his twitter, and I'll post back once the name of the game is announced.

https://twitter.com/smealum

What do you guys think about it? Anyone else excited about homebrew reaching the 3DS? It's been awhile since a decent exploit's been found. At least since the 4.xx firmware era, which did lead to piracy.
Title: Re: 3DS Homebrew Finally Coming
Post by: winkio on August 26, 2014, 09:52:39 am
I can't really think of anything that I would want coming out of homebrew.  The eshop already exists for smaller developers to do their own thing, but in my opinion Nintendo's first party games are lots better than everything else out there.
Title: Re: 3DS Homebrew Finally Coming
Post by: Blizzard on August 26, 2014, 10:02:25 am
Actually, I do see an upside. This will probably help in the development of a 3DS emulator.
Title: Re: 3DS Homebrew Finally Coming
Post by: WhiteRose on August 26, 2014, 10:27:21 am
Quote from: Blizzard on August 26, 2014, 10:02:25 am
Actually, I do see an upside. This will probably help in the development of a 3DS emulator.


That would be awesome. :D

I'm also just excited about the prospect of homebrew. The PSP was one of my favorite handhelds ever, because I could run a great variety of emulators on it, like SNES, GBA, and PSX. The first time I played through Mother 3 was on my PSP. I'm sure the 3DS might not get to that point for a while, but it's great that we might be headed in that direction.