Chaos Project

Community => Welcome! => Topic started by: winkio on September 04, 2015, 11:36:56 pm

Title: Back again
Post by: winkio on September 04, 2015, 11:36:56 pm
Hello everyone, sorry for not posting much this year.  I sort of took an unofficial break from posting, and it turned out to be longer than expected.

To start with, I'm in Austin, TX now.  No more freezing winters for me!  I have a job on the manufacturing side of Magic Leap (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMHcanq0xM), and although I'm NDA'ed pretty hard, I can at least say that there is going to be some mindblowing tech and software released in the future.

Now that I am more secure in my job and location, I'm getting back into game dev on my free time.  Something I have always wanted to do is make my own game engine and tools in C#, a package with a map editor and scripts, that was also open source.  In the past, I thought I would release a game first, and then strip out the engine and build around it.  However, with my experience developing a commercial data and charting tool for my last job, I think now is the perfect time to get started.

So anyways, I'll be posting more now, both related to my project, and just in general.
Title: Re: Back again
Post by: Blizzard on September 05, 2015, 02:15:13 am
Welcome back. :)

Have you considered maybe using an engine after all? Like Unreal 4 or Unity. They are both good enough and extensible that there is no need to write an engine from scratch. And you can code in C# in Unity if it's C# you're after.
Title: Re: Back again
Post by: winkio on September 05, 2015, 12:40:09 pm
Unreal and Unity are both great engines, but they are both too focused on the commercial side of game dev.  They are pushing for things like next gen graphics/speed and deploying on more platforms.  They have plugin stores, and expect developers to be paying for resources or working in larger groups to get full use of the software.

RMXP has simple work flows, requires no tutorials, and allows solo developers to flourish.  The majority of resources/scripts can be obtained for free.  It's primary flaws are how many limits there are with the default scripts, and the limits of the engine itself even with scripting.

I want to make an engine more like RMXP, but a few orders of magnitude more advanced.  Something with a lot more power and freedom that still has simple workflows and manageable development times.
Title: Re: Back again
Post by: Blizzard on September 05, 2015, 02:42:26 pm
Have you seen RMMV yet? It might be just that.
Title: Re: Back again
Post by: winkio on September 05, 2015, 03:08:57 pm
I have, but it is still RPG maker.  I'm looking to do something a little more generalized.
Title: Re: Back again
Post by: KK20 on September 05, 2015, 04:24:39 pm
Good to see you back on the active side of things again. No more snow woooooo~

For your engine idea, are you going along the route of Game Maker or GG Maker (http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/gg-maker)?
Title: Re: Back again
Post by: winkio on September 05, 2015, 04:46:42 pm
I guess it would be closer to GG Maker than Game Maker, but there are a lot of different parts of each, I'm not sure what exactly you are talking about.
Title: Re: Back again
Post by: KK20 on September 05, 2015, 04:52:34 pm
You said something that's easy to get into like RPG Maker but is more diverse than just making RPG games. So I figured that Game Maker and (more so) GG Maker fit those roles.
Title: Re: Back again
Post by: winkio on September 05, 2015, 05:17:48 pm
Right.  The idea is to have some pre-built stuff that can be worked with using the GUI only, and then instead of scripting, just open up the game's C# source for editing in Visual Studio.
Title: Re: Back again
Post by: ForeverZer0 on September 05, 2015, 11:47:42 pm
I just realized you changed the image in your avatar and signature.... I have never see that!

Anyways, welcome back!
Title: Re: Back again
Post by: winkio on September 05, 2015, 11:57:15 pm
What?  I swear I've gone through like 6 of them by now.  There was purple, then purple, then blue, then light blue, then dark blue, and now the current one.
Title: Re: Back again
Post by: Blizzard on September 06, 2015, 04:21:54 am
There were a few, but you mostly changed them in the first few years. You kept almost the same one for quite a while.