Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Topic started by: winkio on November 11, 2008, 05:09:23 pm

Title: Tablets
Post by: winkio on November 11, 2008, 05:09:23 pm
So, I'm thinking about buying a tablet for my laptop.

Why:  Personal use as well as amateur graphics work.

Price Range: <$150

What I think I want: A tablet with a decent size area that will last a good amount of time and work well.  Does not have to be perfect or "the best."


My own research has shown that Wacom is the best tablet brand ever, but unfortunately, they are pretty damn expensive.

This is one that I am considering: The Genius G-Pen F610: http://www.geniuseshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=131 (http://www.geniuseshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=131)

Any input on this?
Title: Re: Tablets
Post by: Aqua on November 11, 2008, 05:41:21 pm
That one seems very nice, but... does it come with a mouse? lol

The one I got is a Wacom 3x5, has a pen and mouse, and was $85.  (Got it on sale because of Labor Day or something...)
It's nice and not too space taking.

Though now... I don't really use it since I have my tablet laptop...
Title: Re: Tablets
Post by: winkio on November 11, 2008, 06:42:05 pm
what do you think of the size?  Does it really matter?  Because a 3x5 is like, an index card.  And I just think that it would be hard to draw.write on something that small...

EDIT: Oh, and the one in my first post is on sale at newegg and amazon for $80  8)  And no, there is no mouse, but do you honestly need one?  with a tablet?
Title: Re: Tablets
Post by: Aqua on November 11, 2008, 06:59:18 pm
3x5 was fine for me since I usually only use it to color.  If you need to draw, a bigger one will probably be better.

I like having a mouse with mine because... my family has a tendency to break mouses... XD
Title: Re: Tablets
Post by: KultzRDC on November 12, 2008, 05:59:02 pm
interesting that you considered that 1 lol

my tablet is a bamboo. theres a mouse that came with it but I dont use the mouse. cant remember the price though :/

Spoiler: ShowHide
(http://www.tritech-computers.com/store2/images/Wacom%20Bamboo%20Tablet%20Med%20Silver%20CTE650S.jpg)


if 6 x 10 is the size of the area you can work that stylus on then i think ur in good shape. Dont worry about having a small area to work on ull get used to it
Title: Re: Tablets
Post by: winkio on November 12, 2008, 06:16:41 pm
Thanks for the advice.

That one that you just posted is the Wacom Bamboo Fun 5.8"x3.7".  It's on Newegg for $100.  I was actually considering that one before i found the one I'm currently looking at.

So what do you use yours for?  And how well does it work for your use?  Also, how good is the pen?

EDIT:  After looking a bit further, I have decided that the Genius F610 would not be my best choice, just because it is more geared towards writing, and is not very good quality for drawing.

Thanks to Kultz and Aqua for their great advice and opinions, I have now decided that if I really want what I get to meet my requirements and not fall short AND last, then I need a Wacom.
Now, I am deciding between the Small Bamboo Fun (5.8"x3.7") at $85 (normally $100) and the Medium Bamboo Fun (8.5"x5.3") at $167 (normally $200).  My display size is 1920x1200 (i've heard that smaller areas are harder to use with bigger display resolutions).  I'll spend the extra money if I really should, but do I need to get the bigger one?
Title: Re: Tablets
Post by: winkio on December 25, 2008, 12:03:28 pm
Sweetness.  Got my tablet today, and by god it kicks ass! :haha:
Title: Re: Tablets
Post by: Aqua on December 25, 2008, 12:08:21 pm
Cool! :D

How big is it? Lol
Title: Re: Tablets
Post by: winkio on December 25, 2008, 12:26:29 pm
the size of the whole thing is about 9x11, the active area is 6x8.5.  It's pretty hugely awesome.  But it's nice and thin and light.

It's the Wacom bamboo fun medium.

EDIT: Wow, you know what's awesome?  mapping with a tablet!
Title: Re: Tablets
Post by: Blizzard on December 25, 2008, 02:37:56 pm
Lol, sounds to be as fun as playing an FPS with touchpad is. xD
Title: Re: Tablets
Post by: Punn on December 26, 2008, 05:53:08 am
Now you have a imitation of a NDS.
You can play Osu! which is a fan based game, good if you have the Tablet..
Welcome to the world of Tablet Users..


zzzzz