Chaos Project

Community => News / Suggestions / Feedback => Topic started by: Blizzard on December 07, 2008, 10:41:40 am

Title: Downtime
Post by: Blizzard on December 07, 2008, 10:41:40 am
*claps slowly*

Great job, guys. You have managed to get the server's CPU usage to 30% by spamming the shoutbox. I don't know how you did it, but I think that I pretty much have an idea since I see more than 600 shouts in the archive even though I told you repeatedly not to spam the shoutbox.

IRC chat exists FOR A REASON. I have disabled the XML refresh feature for the shoutbox. If this incident happens again or if I notice that the shoutbox is being abused like that again, I will disable it completely.
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: Diokatsu on December 07, 2008, 10:50:04 am
O.o

Oh shit we broke it...I will do my best to not post repeatedly and for anyone wanting to discuss Myriad, which most of you do, you CAN use the #chaosrp channel to do so! The thread is here (http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=2083.0)
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: Aqua on December 07, 2008, 10:54:55 am
*shakes fist*
You dang RPers!!!  >:(

At least it's better now :D
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: jcsnider on December 07, 2008, 11:01:14 am
Wow, I didnt know a shoutbox did so much  :^_^': I am glad I dont use it often  ;)

Glad this place is back online, it went down before i posted another topic about my game... :o
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: DeathLock on December 07, 2008, 11:03:15 am
Good thing I never use the shoutbox. Lol. ^_^
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: Diokatsu on December 07, 2008, 11:06:51 am
Quote from: Aqua on December 07, 2008, 10:54:55 am
*shakes fist*
You dang RPers!!!  >:(

At least it's better now :D


You never go on RP! Don't even give me that :V
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: Hellfire Dragon on December 07, 2008, 12:16:49 pm
I was wonering what happened when I tryed to get on forum this morning, then when I tried again later I saw that message on the homepage, and third times the charm, the forum is back :D Who knew the shoutbox could get the CPU usage up to 30%, that's alot :uhm:
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: Punn on December 07, 2008, 03:13:55 pm
Retarded spammers..  :rulez:

Ya killed the forum when I needed the most, why cant ya crash the forum when I'm KO'd or away or something!?
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: Starrodkirby86 on December 07, 2008, 03:48:24 pm
Wow, you guys are so smart discussing Shoutbox stuff. I knew there was a cost for that.  :<_<:

Sometimes I wish this RPG communities aren't filled with people who are so enthralled in D & D like scenarios, stories, and all that stuff. Oh well.

Good thing this forum is back and running. But nevertheless, you guys are just insane. -_-; I'm not going to point out names, :V:.
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: winkio on December 07, 2008, 03:53:19 pm
*looks at the times in the shoutbox.*

six shouts in 10 minutes.  No wonder the server got cpu-greedy.  shoutbox != IRC chat.

I think you all learned your lesson, so I'll just stop here.

And now, everyone is going to be afraid to use the shoutbox.
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: Blizzard on December 08, 2008, 08:45:46 am
I don't know how it will be now, but disabling the XML refresh will definitely cut down the CPU usage. But it's probably the best you don't spam it up, either. -_-
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: Vell on December 09, 2008, 07:24:57 pm
XML Refresh?
Title: Re: Downtime
Post by: Blizzard on December 10, 2008, 08:48:27 am
Yes. It was the refresh feature that would automatically update the shoutbox in your browser if somebody shouted something which was based on XML.