Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Topic started by: Ryex on December 25, 2008, 02:32:20 am

Title: My God! I despise Vista!
Post by: Ryex on December 25, 2008, 02:32:20 am
so here's the story

I was getting an error with windows update that it couldn't check for updates. and finally after 56 tries of clicking try again it FINALLY gave me an error message.

so I did some research. here's what came up

if the is a SINGLE file system error on the operating system's disk windows CAN'T update and the error code i got meant that a file was missing or corrupt.

so I ran CheckDisk to fix the errors. LO AND BEHOLD WINDOWS CheckDisk CAN'T FIX ERRORS ON THE OS'S DISK WHILE WINDOWS IS RUNNING!

so I thought "ok I'll just start in MS-DOS mode and use the 'chkdsk /f /r' command to run it from there" but NO Windows Vista doesn't HAVE DOS mode!

so i was trying to get in to the boot menu but I missed my chance to press F12 on the bios boot screen so I  help the power button and did a force shut down to try again. by this time i was VERY ticked of and pretty worried that this problem was beyond my skills. so I was trying to get into the boot menu again and failed AGAIN! but guess what, windows vista has a system that almost no one knows about! its caller Startup Recovery. if the os shuts down or has some other problem while it is in the middle of loading it goes into startup recover mode the next time it starts to "fix errors that may be keeping windows from starting" one of the steps in this process just happens to be fixing disk errors.

os in the end Startup recover fixed the disk errors and the windows up date worked installing 19 updates almost as soon as it worked again. and I'm happy that my new comp works again.

but to reiterate (in case you missed it the first time) I had to hold the power button during startup to, by accident, uncover a unknown process that could solve my problem!

how stupid can Microsoft get! if they had MS-DOS mode I could of solved the problem in no time instead of by accident!

MS-DOS (or its equivalent for you lynx users out there, MAC run on lynx now by the way.) should be E-central to EVERY Operating system.
Title: Re: My God! I despise Vista!
Post by: Hellfire Dragon on December 25, 2008, 07:42:38 am
Wow that sucks... my bro just got a new laptop tpday for Christmas but it won't play music or even the windows sounds, just get a pointless/stupid error saying "Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For further assitence go to web help" or something like that... yeah, that's alot of help and web help says nothing that helps, microsoft needs better support stuff.

Do you know what file is missing btw?
Title: Re: My God! I despise Vista!
Post by: Ryex on December 25, 2008, 12:43:41 pm
no I fixed the problem it was not that a file was missing it was that the hard drive had errors on it and that Microsoft did not have a reliabul way to fix them.
Title: Re: My God! I despise Vista!
Post by: Starrodkirby86 on December 25, 2008, 10:56:14 pm
Yeah, one thing I liked about older computers is the easy access to MS-DOS...Computers nowadays don't even consider it MS-DOS and rather the Command Prompt. ._.; And oh the icons, those fun little icons that came with MS-DOS...this is when I was a child by the way so there are many nostalgic moments with that black screen...

Geez Louise though, I'm glad I didn't get a computer incident like that. D: It might be the publisher doing something funny, or else yeah, it's Microsoft.

And HD, have you corrected that dumb Windows Media thing? o.o
Title: Re: My God! I despise Vista!
Post by: Ryex on December 26, 2008, 10:57:33 am
Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on December 25, 2008, 10:56:14 pm
Yeah, one thing I liked about older computers is the easy access to MS-DOS...Computers nowadays don't even consider it MS-DOS and rather the Command Prompt. ._.; And oh the icons, those fun little icons that came with MS-DOS...this is when I was a child by the way so there are many nostalgic moments with that black screen...


LOL Star I'm Older than you I should remember such things better! But I don't....
Title: Re: My God! I despise Vista!
Post by: Hellfire Dragon on December 27, 2008, 10:20:07 am
Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on December 25, 2008, 10:56:14 pm
And HD, have you corrected that dumb Windows Media thing? o.o

Yeah took a while to figure but I got an update to windows and the security and it was alright after that.
Title: Re: My God! I despise Vista!
Post by: Punn on December 29, 2008, 02:54:19 pm
Weird, I don't have this kind of a problem, I just got this nice laptop and it runs almost (prolly) all programs very well, and I don't need to do that whole 'Run as Admin' thing.
Title: Re: My God! I despise Vista!
Post by: Blizzard on December 30, 2008, 07:42:55 am
Usually when you install Vista, you can create one user account that is admin by default so you never have to bother with that. There's no point in not doing so in any one-user-OS.