Chaos Project

RPG Maker => Resources => Topic started by: swing on January 26, 2009, 11:38:39 am

Title: My first contribution
Post by: swing on January 26, 2009, 11:38:39 am
I tried making some (swords,spears ) so here they are:
(http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/8867/epent3.png) (http://imageshack.us)(http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2155/gladiatorswordou1.png) (http://imageshack.us)(http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7946/firstspearnq3.png) (http://imageshack.us)
(http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2110/goldenswordyp3.png) (http://imageshack.us)
(http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5362/sanstitrejn2.png) (http://imageshack.us)(http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/5530/sanstitrexr8.png) (http://imageshack.us)
(http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6056/testombreyp6.png) (http://imageshack.us)



Title: Re: My first contribution
Post by: Starrodkirby86 on January 26, 2009, 06:23:58 pm
They good icons and they're something I would see in an indie game. But rather...I'll just give an example to describe this...There's a line between crappy and in-depth awesomeness with graphics here, and this one is just in between or above average (So like 3/4ths to 1, you know?). I feel it doesn't have that shading or physique the RMXP default icons of a sword and etc. do, but rather an old indie game RPG or something like that does. It's not bad, it's just not excellent, but it's really good. :)
Title: Re: My first contribution
Post by: Tazero on January 26, 2009, 07:44:42 pm
Criticism::
SRK , I agree with you and they are really well done ....Though they look like they were done on Ms paint.
Bad criticism: ShowHide

Ms paint bad qaulity program not very well made


Good job for first resource tho!
Title: Re: My first contribution
Post by: swing on January 27, 2009, 06:42:52 am
Thanks,
I will post all of the icons i make in this topic later  :) .
Oh,and,i'm not using Paint but Paint.Net  :<_<: (Not the same thing,you know ?)and this one :
(http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5362/sanstitrejn2.png) (http://imageshack.us) is made by The GIMP. :huh:

Title: Re: My first contribution
Post by: tSwitch on January 27, 2009, 10:05:14 am
they're very flat.
shading would help tons.
Title: Re: My first contribution
Post by: Blizzard on January 27, 2009, 10:28:25 am
I agree. Adding some shading would improve them quite a bit. You might wanna take a look at Phasedscar's tutorial about spriting. He explained a very goo method of shading.
Title: Re: My first contribution
Post by: swing on January 27, 2009, 02:38:47 pm
I don't get it.
To make these icons, i started by That tutorial (It helps a lot),I follow everthing said there,I still don't get it.I tried shading with the gimp and Paint.NET but it can't be seen in white background.I will try making it with another background color.
Title: Re: My first contribution
Post by: Blizzard on January 28, 2009, 07:01:37 am
Try layer effects in Gimp. I know that in Photoshop you can add shading easily and get good results. GIMP should support something similar. Maybe when you see how an auto-generated shading looks like, it will be easier to apply shading manually.
Title: Re: My first contribution
Post by: Dragon X on January 28, 2009, 07:14:03 am
Gimp does offer something similar, I use it to draw my characters and all my Fan Art, etc. Here's a useful tip to drawing colour and then shading onto lineart, it should work for this as well.

1. Select Layers Tab
2. Create a new Translucent Layer under your current background
3. Create a white layer below that.
4. Click on Translucent Layer and click the little drop down menu (still on the layer tab) It should say mode beside the drop down menu, and click Multiply.
5. Colour on top of your translucent Layer, if you go over the lines you can rub it out without rubbing out the actual original art.
6. Highlight the transparent layer when done and click on the little check box beside the little icon of the checkered box on the layers tab. This makes this layer fully transparent so you can shade it.
7. Click air brush and set the opacity to around 21, choose a small size 7 brush and draw on the white layer.

Congratz you have learned how to colour and shade in Gimp.
Title: Re: My first contribution
Post by: swing on January 28, 2009, 05:16:38 pm
(http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2723/testombreju9.png) (http://imageshack.us)
Is this better?
(Edited the first post)
Title: Re: My first contribution
Post by: Tazero on March 04, 2009, 03:40:06 am
Better definately still not SUPER awesome but much better.

Power-up for improving.
Title: Re: My first contribution
Post by: Reno-s--Joker on March 04, 2009, 05:14:37 am
I think the main problem is the gradient on the blade is too smooth so it looks like a pole. The handles also seem to be devoid of any shading too, which doesn't look consistent with the blade. You should perhaps have one starkly lit edge and some more contrast in general... I dunno. I'm not a terribly good icon maker myself, just trying to be useful here... ^-^;;;

I can see you're improving though, and that's the main thing. *powers up*
I hope you keep it up! ;)