Chaos Project

RPG Maker => General Discussion => Troubleshooting / Help => Topic started by: thepathmage on March 08, 2009, 01:20:44 pm

Title: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: thepathmage on March 08, 2009, 01:20:44 pm
I am making a puzzle in which you read a mark on a wall, and it symbolises a letter. Now, I want it so that when you stand beside the door and press the button, the door opens. I've read around about the button press section on conditional branches, but there is very little information about it. I've tried for a long time no, and I simply can't manage it.
Any tips?
Title: Re: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: Starrodkirby86 on March 08, 2009, 07:18:41 pm
This is pretty vague. You should give the whole concept of the puzzle so we can possibly do the whole Event System for you or just help you through it.

I'm a crappy eventer and I haven't evented in ages, but let's see if this is satisfactory.

Off this information...How about you make a Parallel Process Event?

Have two variables that records the player's coordinates. The player can only press these certain buttons when s/he is in front of the statue, yes? If so, then there's a certain coordinate there the player has to be on. Let's say one of these spaces are 3,5. Get the Parallel Process Event to record these coordinates (Variable Operation).

This can be achieved with Condtional Branches asking "Is Variable 001: X = 3" and "Is Variable 002: Y = 5"? Now, once these conditions are met, let's go into yet another Conditional Branch. This Branch will be "Is 'Button' being pressed". Ah-ha. Now once that is pressed, just have the door open. This works easily when there's multiple doors around though...I can't think of anything at the moment for a single door. :P (Well, I can, but it's going to require switches and that's not cool)

EDIT: If you want a DIRECT KEY to be pressed, such as something directly on the keyboard (And not an RMXP Key), then you will need a custom script for that.
Title: Re: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: thepathmage on March 09, 2009, 09:15:13 am
That was exactly what I had in mind, press button X when standing in Y and the door unlocks. I didn't really understand what to do though..
Since you mention a lot of stuff but don't tell me how to do it.
Title: Re: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: Landith on March 09, 2009, 04:19:55 pm
Here, I'll break it down for you.

Okay, Blizzard's Tons of Add-Ons.
Custom Controls (2nd part, although you need all three scripts)
Turn this on, configure it to how you want.
Then in the event go to conditional Branch
Now in the last tab where it says Script, click the little bubble and type in:
Input.trigger?(Input::Key['KEY HERE'])

And PRESTO! You now have it were if the player presses a certain button, it activates it.

Now, anything you don't understand?
Title: Re: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: thepathmage on March 10, 2009, 02:33:52 pm
Yes, this still doesn't solve the problem that you'll have to stand in front of the door. I tried conditional branches and variables to do this but I didn't manage to do it correct.
Title: Re: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: Landith on March 10, 2009, 04:40:57 pm
I know, I was just telling you how to make it where you can define the key instead of using Enterbrain's built in keyboard support.

I think this will work, let me make it real fast.
Set this up in a parallel process:

Mini Tut: ShowHide

(http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5874/scr3z.png)
(http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3826/scr2k.png)
(http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4968/scr1m.png)


I just realized I didn't add the Key Input, I doubt you will need it though. But if you do just say so and I'll post up a fixed version.
Also, if you don't get this I will make a demo.
Title: Re: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: thepathmage on March 13, 2009, 11:27:06 am
Exactly what I needed. But yes, the key input is part of the puzzle so it would really be nice.
Title: Re: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: Landith on March 13, 2009, 04:04:17 pm
Yeah I completely forgot about that when I was taking screenshots, give me a second and I'll add it.




Hopefully fixed version: ShowHide

(http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8063/fixedexample.png)
(http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/124/examplex.png)


Is that what you want?
Title: Re: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: thepathmage on March 14, 2009, 05:06:48 pm
Yes, thank you a very lot sir. Only one more thing though, I want to make this Ice Slide Puzzle. I found a guide, but he seems to be using and older version of RMXP/RM2K3 than me.
The guide is found here:
Spoiler: ShowHide
http://www.kobrasrealm.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1300&mode=threaded&pid=30691


I tried to make the event myself, and things looks about the same, but it isn't working for me, here is my script:
Spoiler: ShowHide
(http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/290/mycommoneventf.jpg) (http://img3.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mycommoneventf.jpg)

What have I done wrong?
Title: Re: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: Landith on March 14, 2009, 05:18:32 pm
Give me a second to look at it real fast.

Okay, for this one I will have to make a demo because it involves multiple parts, it might take me around 20-40 minutes.




Okay finished faster then I thought.
I tested everything and it worked fine, it was a really good tut.
Download here (http://www.sendspace.com/file/7kzde0)
Title: Re: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: thepathmage on March 15, 2009, 04:41:51 am
Thanks alot, you're a really nice guy. Seems though, I actually made the events correct. Now I've found the real problem. I use the caterpillar "mode" in blizz ABS, and it seems that sometimes, I can't move my character. So, when I enter this ice cave in my game, and I start sliding, I can't move my character. If I change partymember, then I can move again, but when I hit a wall, I have to change partymember again to move.
EDIT: Seems like the caterpillar issue isn't the problem. Well, I simply can't figure out what is wrong so I'll send you the game...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jeabji
Title: Re: Help on button input puzzle.
Post by: Landith on March 15, 2009, 02:23:18 pm
Okay, I'll take a look at it.




It has something to do with Blizz-ABS, I'm not sure though.
I don't know if I can fix this though.