Chaos Project

RPG Maker => Resources => Topic started by: Landith on March 08, 2009, 06:24:45 pm

Title: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 08, 2009, 06:24:45 pm
(http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8118/designsweet.png)

Okay, I made a new sprite but I need help with shading it.
I tried shading the head but it looks weird... Also, I'm redoing the head so don't say how it's bad and stuff because I know...

Can anyone help me?

Also, please don't direct me to links, I've been to a ton of tutorials but I'm not sure how to shade this particular sprite.

Ps. This is the image I used for the base Here (http://www.thetanooki.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/070416scyther.jpg)
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: DeathLock on March 08, 2009, 07:44:38 pm
That's where I come in. =D

Shading is shading, what kind of texture are you going for? Scales, smooth, hard? This is the first thing you need to know.

Here's a quick example about a palette, shading, and a head rework. The shading is incomplete, just to show you the basics.

Normal View:
(http://i39.tinypic.com/ofj9x.jpg)

Zoomed:
(http://i41.tinypic.com/5yamqb.jpg)

As you can see, I define more in the head. Yours look rather boring, it doesn't stand out or anything. Currently, your palette is too desaturated, play around with the colors you'll eventually get the hang of it.

Finally, the way you sprited the body. Its really bothering me, look in the image, how the arms are raised up like a mantis, do something like that to give it more life.

Example:
(http://i36.tinypic.com/2llox3l.jpg)
(This is one of my early works when I got into spriting. Don't take shading tips from this example, its was a dumped WIP. This is only for anatomy for your sprite.)
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Tazero on March 08, 2009, 08:02:09 pm
Quote from: Landith on March 08, 2009, 06:24:45 pm
(http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8118/designsweet.png)

Okay, I made a new sprite but I need help with shading it.
I tried shading the head but it looks weird... Also, I'm redoing the head so don't say how it's bad and stuff because I know...

Can anyone help me?

Also, please don't direct me to links, I've been to a ton of tutorials but I'm not sure how to shade this particular sprite.

Ps. This is the image I used for the base Here (http://www.thetanooki.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/070416scyther.jpg)




I tried by outlining and recoloring...Reshading
(http://i40.tinypic.com/k0h93o.png)
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 08, 2009, 08:59:56 pm
Quote from: DeathLock on March 08, 2009, 07:44:38 pm
Shading is shading, what kind of texture are you going for? Scales, smooth, hard? This is the first thing you need to know.

Texture - Smooth

Quote from: DeathLock on March 08, 2009, 07:44:38 pm

Here's a quick example about a palette, shading, and a head rework. The shading is incomplete, just to show you the basics.

Normal View:
(http://i39.tinypic.com/ofj9x.jpg)

Zoomed:
(http://i41.tinypic.com/5yamqb.jpg)

As you can see, I define more in the head. Yours look rather boring, it doesn't stand out or anything. Currently, your palette is too desaturated, play around with the colors you'll eventually get the hang of it.

Finally, the way you sprited the body. Its really bothering me, look in the image, how the arms are raised up like a mantis, do something like that to give it more life.

That's a nice head, and teaches me how to shade it, the palette is nice too, do you mind if I use the head?

Quote from: DeathLock on March 08, 2009, 07:44:38 pm
Example:
(http://i36.tinypic.com/2llox3l.jpg)
(This is one of my early works when I got into spriting. Don't take shading tips from this example, its was a dumped WIP. This is only for anatomy for your sprite.)

I will use this for the arms when I redo this. Thanks :)

Quote from: MetaKnight on March 08, 2009, 08:02:09 pm
I tried by outlining and recoloring...Reshading
(http://i40.tinypic.com/k0h93o.png)

I was asking how to shade it, not for someone to shade it for me, although thanks anyways.



EDIT:
(http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1876/designscyther.png)

Before I continue, I want to know if that's what you meant.

(http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/326/dos.png)

I went ahead and shaded it, is that what you had in mind?
I haven't done the wings or scythe's like things yet though.
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: DeathLock on March 09, 2009, 07:12:03 am
Quote from: LandithTexture - Smooth

Okay, that's basically how I shaded it.

Quote from: LandithThat's a nice head, and teaches me how to shade it, the palette is nice too, do you mind if I use the head?

I don't mind at all, but I'd prefer if you use it as a base, so you could learn how to do.

Quote from: LandithI will use this for the arms when I redo this. Thanks :)

No problem. ^^

1. The head is pillow-shaded, meaning it is shading from edges in. If you spot how I shaded it, you'd see I shaded it on the levels of the head, giving in-depth shading to define figure in the nose and mouth.

2. The wings outline is terribly blurry. I'll cover up the rest when you're done with the wings.

3. What's with these white parts in the sprite? (Excluding scythe-like hands, and wings.)

4. In the shoulders, you'll have to give the shading sort of a curve if you know what I mean.
Example:
(http://i44.tinypic.com/10zbz28.jpg)

5. Do not outline everything, there has to be a light source.

6. Do not use the skin palette, to outline the scythe and wings. You'll need a separate palette for that.

7. Legs are pillow shaded, the upper parts.

8. The feet are pillow shaded as well.

9. Do not make it stiff. Give it a natural pose.

So far, the dark outline is ruining the sprite. Use it only for in-depth shading to define figure.
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 09, 2009, 04:04:04 pm
1. Alright, I'll see if I can fix that
2. Yeah, I accidentally had it on anti-aliased when I made it >.>
3. It's part of the Scyther sprite it's just hard to tell where they are. I haven't shaded those yet though
4. Alright, I'll work on that
5. I haven't got to the point in shading the outline, I had to hurry up because my dad told me to go to bed
6. Yeah, I'm using a really really light blue for the scythe-like things and a really really light tan for the wings, I just need to decide what the palette should be
7. Yeah, I was in a hurry on that part.
8. Same as above ^^
9. Hmm... I think I might make it look as if it's leaning forward, make it more natural, although it would be hard to show in a 2-D sprite...

I really appreciate it Deathlock, you are really helping me get into spriting :)
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: DeathLock on March 10, 2009, 04:11:56 pm
Quote from: Landith9. Hmm... I think I might make it look as if it's leaning forward, make it more natural, although it would be hard to show in a 2-D sprite...

Actually, its quite easy to do so. It won't really matter in the front view, though.

I noticed the feet are floating. Make it a natural stand, not like he's balancing on his toes. XD
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 12, 2009, 06:23:50 pm
(http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2581/scytherv2.png)

I haven't got around to doing a different anatomy process just yet, still trying to decide on how I'm going to do it.

Is the shading good or no?

By the way, I went for a smooth scale type shading instead of a smooth because I decided it was too hard.
Also, the wings and the scythe like things aren't done yet, I still haven't decided on the outline for it or the palette I wanna use for it.
I just noticed that the legs look weird too  :<_<:
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: DeathLock on March 12, 2009, 07:01:31 pm
Excellent work on the skin shading.

All you have to do is give it a more natural stand, since the legs are stiff. The shading done on the scythe hands and wings still needs a lot of work.

The bug sprite in the RTP provides a good wing shading example.

Any weapon would do for a scythe shading.

The outline is only a guide, you'll shade over it eventually.
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 12, 2009, 08:46:02 pm
For the stance, I was thinking I should put the upper legs in an outward position then make them come inward for the feet and make the legs shorter.

Would that fix the anatomy problem?

I will look into the RTP sprites and see how they shaded the weapon and the bug wings, as that's the main problem I have.
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: DeathLock on March 13, 2009, 02:21:42 pm
Better to see an actual product, to be more sure.

Use the RTP as a shading guide, but do not use them as a palette source. ^_^
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 20, 2009, 04:26:56 pm
I was thinking about doing the remaster like how his legs are here (http://untamed.wild-refuge.net/images/rpgxp/misc/devil.png).

Would that be a good or no?
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Calintz on March 20, 2009, 04:27:35 pm
Who made that devil??
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 20, 2009, 04:28:55 pm
Sithjester <3

I was on her site looking for Blizz's sprite and saw that one and thought his legs would be good for my sprite (like the anatomy part)
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: DeathLock on March 20, 2009, 04:29:57 pm
Your sprite, your choice. Its all on how you envision it. ^_^
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Calintz on March 20, 2009, 04:30:36 pm
I hHATE THOSE LEGS!!...
Lol, I was just making positive that you didn't make it, LMAO!! She didn't do a very good job on them.
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: DeathLock on March 20, 2009, 04:31:33 pm
The side looks a lot better than the front that's for sure. XD
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 20, 2009, 04:32:25 pm
(http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6594/scytherv211.png) (http://img24.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scytherv211.png)

I originally tried that but as you can see, it turned out horribly :/

These legs would kinda go with it better though (http://untamed.wild-refuge.net/images/rpgxp/ff/ifrit.png)
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Calintz on March 20, 2009, 04:34:28 pm
I agree, and that sprite is the SHIT!!
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: DeathLock on March 20, 2009, 04:35:02 pm
Looks like he's trying to shit.... XD
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 20, 2009, 04:37:31 pm
ROFL yea I'm going to start the legs over with those new legs... (Kinda confusing)
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Calintz on March 20, 2009, 04:38:22 pm
hey...it kinda does, Lol.
And has genital warts all over his body, LMAO!!

No offense Landith!! He is awesome!!

Can be confusing, yeah.
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 20, 2009, 04:56:33 pm
(http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1603/scytherv212.png) (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scytherv212.png)

New version, look any better anatomy-wise?
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: DeathLock on March 20, 2009, 05:05:22 pm
Yes, it looks a lot better. But the sprite needs some toes, it only has nails coming out of its feet.
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 20, 2009, 05:06:30 pm
Quote from: DeathLock on March 20, 2009, 05:05:22 pm
Yes, it looks a lot better. But the sprite needs some noes, it only has nails coming out of its feet.


Details please? :P

I just don't understand what your saying :/
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: DeathLock on March 20, 2009, 05:35:43 pm
I meant toes, not noes. XD

A quick edit to the sprite's feet:
(http://i42.tinypic.com/24pkvnm.jpg)
Here, you can see more of a natural stand.
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 20, 2009, 05:41:59 pm
Ahh, I see.
It looks a lot better with such a small edit lol Thank you once again!

*Powers Up*
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: G_G on March 21, 2009, 10:16:54 am
so landith how is the sprite coming along then? I can't wait to see a finished project.
Title: Re: Need help with shading this sprite...
Post by: Landith on March 28, 2009, 08:37:19 pm
Woah! Finished product... Um... yea xD

It's no were close to being finished.
I'm not working on it atm because of the contest, as I won't be using it in the contest even If I finish it in 20 days(not likely) so yeah...
It will have to be after the contest before I start working on it again.