Chaos Project

RPG Maker => General Discussion => Topic started by: nathmatt on March 17, 2009, 04:44:35 pm

Title: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: nathmatt on March 17, 2009, 04:44:35 pm
the site is http://www.rgenmedia.com/Gallery040.htm
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Blizzard on March 17, 2009, 05:25:57 pm
"The Future of Games Development" certainly doesn't look like this. This is how the next generation of horribly bad amateur RPGs looks like.
Also, 3D games require multiple times more effort. Most people can't even finish a simple 2D RPG in RMXP using the RTP. I wonder what makes people think they can pull off a fully fledged 3D game... I'd rather play a properly made 2D game than a horribly made 3D game. I can't but notice the horrible level design in the screenshots. :/ Looks like somebody just got RMXP and tried to make a map, just all of it in 3D.

I mean sure, it looks nice and all... But a nice and interesting looking program won't make you a good game designer. If you really want to make a 3D game, learn programming. There are tons of more powerful and more customizable 3D engines out there. Just take Ogre for example. Or XNA. I haven't worked with XNA yet, but with Ogre you can pretty much make an exact clone of Oblivion. That's what the engine is capable of.

Just my two cents as professional game developer and over 3 years of experience in the RM community. >.<

Anybody else?
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: winkio on March 17, 2009, 05:58:40 pm
Agreed with you Blizz.  The only reason that I'm not making a 3D Legend of Zelda OoT sequel right now is because

1)  I don't know of a good free/low cost engine
2)  I wouldn't have a clue of getting exact or similar models for characters and environment
3)  So much time which I do not have it takes to single-handedly make a zelda game...

Anyways, 3D amateur games don't work, especially RPGs, when they are made with a generic noob engine.  Some can attempt to make decent 2D games with no game design knowledge or skill, but you really should have it for 3D.

I like the simplicity of 2D.  There is no way that you will ever be able to make a game so easily in 3d, unless you have a game specific engine, like a zelda engine, or an elder scrolls engine that comes with full character models, textures, and everything.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Diokatsu on March 17, 2009, 05:59:15 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on March 17, 2009, 05:25:57 pm
"The Future of Games Development" certainly doesn't look like this. This is how the next generation of horribly bad amateur RPGs looks like.
Also, 3D games require multiple times more effort. Most people can't even finish a simple 2D RPG in RMXP using the RTP. I wonder what makes people think they can pull off a fully fledged 3D game... I'd rather play a properly made 2D game than a horribly made 3D game. I can't but notice the horrible level design in the screenshots. :/ Looks like somebody just got RMXP and tried to make a map, just all of it in 3D.

I mean sure, it looks nice and all... But a nice and interesting looking program won't make you a good game designer. If you really want to make a 3D game, learn programming. There are tons of more powerful and more customizable 3D engines out there. Just take Ogre for example. Or XNA. I haven't worked with XNA yet, but with Ogre you can pretty much make an exact clone of Oblivion. That's what the engine is capable of.

Just my two cents as professional game developer and over 3 years of experience in the RM community. >.<

Anybody else?


Thanks Arch0wl. Good to know that Blitzkrieg posting still exists. I love how you totally left me as a viable source of input. :V:

Looks kinda like Morrowind's shitty old editor.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: fugibo on March 17, 2009, 09:32:57 pm
HERE'S FOR A BRIGHT FUTURE WHERE I CAN ACTUALLY CODE WORTH A CRAP AND FINALLY GET SOME EFFING WORK DONE IN OPENRPG!!!!!

And blah. I think he fails to realize that Enterbrain has actually made like 5 of those for the PS2  :wacko:
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: G_G on March 17, 2009, 10:02:58 pm
I tried it and it wasnt any good at all. The only thing you can do is edit and test it. With limited graphics for tiles that and you cant edit anything theres no enemies or battles or anything an rpg has except movement. Though it is still under construction so who knows.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: winkio on March 17, 2009, 10:10:57 pm
Blizz, I looked up OGRE, and it looks epic.  I'm downloading now.  It will definitely be a relief to work with an actual engine and coding language that isn't so constricted and laggy :)
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Sally on March 18, 2009, 05:32:43 am
Quote from: Blizzard on March 17, 2009, 05:25:57 pm
"The Future of Games Development" certainly doesn't look like this. This is how the next generation of horribly bad amateur RPGs looks like.
Also, 3D games require multiple times more effort. Most people can't even finish a simple 2D RPG in RMXP using the RTP. I wonder what makes people think they can pull off a fully fledged 3D game... I'd rather play a properly made 2D game than a horribly made 3D game. I can't but notice the horrible level design in the screenshots. :/ Looks like somebody just got RMXP and tried to make a map, just all of it in 3D.

I mean sure, it looks nice and all... But a nice and interesting looking program won't make you a good game designer. If you really want to make a 3D game, learn programming. There are tons of more powerful and more customizable 3D engines out there. Just take Ogre for example. Or XNA. I haven't worked with XNA yet, but with Ogre you can pretty much make an exact clone of Oblivion. That's what the engine is capable of.

Just my two cents as professional game developer and over 3 years of experience in the RM community. >.<

Anybody else?


i agree with you blizz, but i think that the 3d engins are made for people who are serious in makeing a 3d game. but yeah i agree, if you hwant to make a proffesional 3d gae y ou should learn to pprogram.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Blizzard on March 18, 2009, 06:06:46 am
Yeah. You can do a lot more with a more customizable engine.

@winkio: You can use Ogre in a variety of languages. Java, C++, C#, VB, Python, etc. :)
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Fantasist on March 18, 2009, 07:49:11 am
QuoteI'd rather play a properly made 2D game than a horribly made 3D game.


QuoteAnyways, 3D amateur games don't work, especially RPGs, when they are made with a generic noob engine.  Some can attempt to make decent 2D games with no game design knowledge or skill, but you really should have it for 3D.

I like the simplicity of 2D.  There is no way that you will ever be able to make a game so easily in 3d, unless you have a game specific engine, like a zelda engine, or an elder scrolls engine that comes with full character models, textures, and everything.


My thoughts (or close enough).

QuoteYeah. You can do a lot more with a more customizable engine.


The same applies for 2D too I guess. I still haven't come up with a proper architecture to use with PyGame... So far, it's just a programming language with shortcut codes for controlling media, but that gives me the freedom of design.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Blizzard on March 18, 2009, 08:10:26 am
Yeah, but nobody cares if you make a crappy 2D game. But people WILL be bashing you if you attempt a 3D game and fail. There are higher expectations to fulfill since professionals today preferably use 3D.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: tSwitch on March 19, 2009, 11:15:18 am
I've seen this.
It looks terrible, even gameplay videos look like crap.

It's a good work of programming, but nothing will come of it.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Tazero on March 19, 2009, 03:03:48 pm
I'm sorry , this system is looking like a crappy version of the console RPG maker....
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: RoseSkye on March 21, 2009, 01:04:21 pm
I'm sorry but games like that usually make me gag. It's like I'm forcing myself to play it.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Blizzard on March 22, 2009, 01:27:15 pm
You're speaking my mind.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: RoseSkye on March 22, 2009, 03:45:44 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on March 22, 2009, 01:27:15 pm
You're the reason I'm hearing voices.


Go touch that woman's boob.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Blizzard on March 22, 2009, 03:54:41 pm
*does as told* She liked it. What now? Hey, wait! EASY THERE! HEY! NO! I ONLY TOUCHED YOU! I DON'T WANT SEX WITH YOU! HEY!

... Women... All they think about is sex. ._.;

(we should stop being offtopic >.<)
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: RoseSkye on March 22, 2009, 04:01:11 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on March 22, 2009, 03:54:41 pm
*does as told* She liked it. What now? Hey, wait! EASY THERE! HEY! NO! I ONLY TOUCHED YOU! I DON'T WANT SEX WITH YOU! HEY!

... Women... All they think about is sex. ._.;

(we should stop being offtopic >.<)


*Wrings hands together and twists mustache* Perfect. Muhaha.

(I have a habit of going off topic. :( Don't hurt me.)


[2cents]Okay. Uh.. let's see. If they want to be the next generation of Rpg Maker they should work on alternating camera angles. I don't care if a game is 3d or not but adding that function in would revolutionize amateur rpg making.[/2cents]
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Landith on March 22, 2009, 04:06:48 pm
Well, I'm sure if they add in that function it would be good, but it would mainly be over-used in lots of games and would get old... :/
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: RoseSkye on March 22, 2009, 04:24:08 pm
Quote from: Landith on March 22, 2009, 04:06:48 pm
Well, I'm sure if they add in that function it would be good, but it would mainly be over-used in lots of games and would get old... :/


[4cents]It wouldn't get that old. PoV is used in alot of movies.. (all movies/tv shows) and to be honest it wouldn't be that attractive if it was just one PoV anywhos, yo.[/4cents]
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Blizzard on March 22, 2009, 04:43:22 pm
They should rather make a better version of RMXP. RMPX is alright, but there are many ways to improve it. :/
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: RoseSkye on March 22, 2009, 05:35:12 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on March 22, 2009, 04:43:22 pm
They should rather make a better version of RMXP. RMPX is alright, but there are many ways to improve it. :/


I do enjoy Rpg Maker Penis X
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Blizzard on March 22, 2009, 06:23:56 pm
Ah crap. ._.;
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Memor-X on March 24, 2009, 05:42:20 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on March 22, 2009, 04:43:22 pm
They should rather make a better version of RMXP. RMPX is alright, but there are many ways to improve it. :/


like doing what 2003 did and play movies, have airships, boats and that by defult (with no script), make the battle Background change depending on your terrain your on (such as on world maps, when your on grass, you fight on a grass battle field, when your on snow, you fight on a snow battle field) and having those area maps which you put on normal maps, that way in world maps, your not stuck with the same weak enemies without having to make a copy of the map (that's if you put encounters on the world map)
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Blizzard on March 25, 2009, 05:36:12 am
Exactly. Those are commonly used features and shouldn't require a script. :/ VX did a step towards that, but they downgraded everything else so much that it has become a degenerated shadow of its former version. i.e. The mapping is incredibly limited regardless of the fact that you have more mapping layers in VX than in XP. You don't even get the chance to use all those layers properly.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Sally on March 25, 2009, 05:43:45 am
the layers are programed into the tileset. it makes it simpler and faster.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Blizzard on March 25, 2009, 05:47:27 am
Quote from: Blizzard on March 25, 2009, 05:36:12 amThe mapping is incredibly limited


Compared to the XP version, it's much more limited. And I don't see where it became simplier since I don't remember mapping ever being complicated. You click on the tileset, you click on the map. Done. What is there simplier to make?!
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: GAX on March 25, 2009, 02:36:29 pm
I'd love to see a much more improved version of XP.  Some things that'd be nice is the ability to ADD layers to a map, not just 2 or 3 by default and then an event layer.  IMAGINE THE AMAZING MAPPING POTENTIAL OF A LAYER-UNLIMITED MAPPING SYSTEM!

What I'd like to see though is an RPG Maker that not only helps out with the design of the game, but allows you to select a coding language (so if you're good at using XNA/C#, C++, etc., you don't have to adapt to something like Ruby).

And going back to the original topic of 3D RPG Makers...it's pretty summed up that amateurs shouldn't dive into the deep water of 3D RPGs.  I'm sticking to 2D til I can iron out some aspects and learn to actually code my own system.  I may have concepts lined up for 3D games (the ENTIRE Chaotic Fury series), but I will NOT act on them til I have enough knowledge AND enough experience in doing this line of work.

What I'd honestly suggest to those looking to work with making 3D games: Go work with an editor for an existing game within your genre and make a few decent mods.  If you wanna make FPS games, go make a Steam Account, get Half Life 2 or Half Life 2 Deathmatch and mess around with the Source SDK (WHICH IS FREE).

Wanna make an action RPG?  OGRE would be perfect, or just learn to mod Oblivion itself.

The list goes on...
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Blizzard on March 25, 2009, 05:11:58 pm
Quote from: GuardianAngelX72 on March 25, 2009, 02:36:29 pm
I'd love to see a much more improved version of XP.  Some things that'd be nice is the ability to ADD layers to a map, not just 2 or 3 by default and then an event layer.  IMAGINE THE AMAZING MAPPING POTENTIAL OF A LAYER-UNLIMITED MAPPING SYSTEM!


Stop reading my mind. <_<;

Quote from: GuardianAngelX72 on March 25, 2009, 02:36:29 pm
What I'd like to see though is an RPG Maker that not only helps out with the design of the game, but allows you to select a coding language (so if you're good at using XNA/C#, C++, etc., you don't have to adapt to something like Ruby).


I said STOP READING MY MIND! ;_;

Quote from: GuardianAngelX72 on March 25, 2009, 02:36:29 pm
And going back to the original topic of 3D RPG Makers...it's pretty summed up that amateurs shouldn't dive into the deep water of 3D RPGs.  I'm sticking to 2D til I can iron out some aspects and learn to actually code my own system.  I may have concepts lined up for 3D games (the ENTIRE Chaotic Fury series), but I will NOT act on them til I have enough knowledge AND enough experience in doing this line of work.

What I'd honestly suggest to those looking to work with making 3D games: Go work with an editor for an existing game within your genre and make a few decent mods.  If you wanna make FPS games, go make a Steam Account, get Half Life 2 or Half Life 2 Deathmatch and mess around with the Source SDK (WHICH IS FREE).

Wanna make an action RPG?  OGRE would be perfect, or just learn to mod Oblivion itself.

The list goes on...


I agree. If you want to keep making amateur RPGs, stay with 2D. They are fun and you can still make a good game. Today's games focus too much on graphic so a good RPG game with relatively bad graphics (read: 2D) is nice for a change.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: shdwlink1993 on March 25, 2009, 06:07:57 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on March 25, 2009, 05:11:58 pm
Today's games focus too much on graphic so a good RPG game with relatively bad graphics (read: 2D) is nice for a change.


Completely seconded. Most games these days have far too many problems stemming from the fact that you need to spend two freaking months getting the engine to correctly move someone across a room (no textures yet) that most ideas that would make the game good and original and special have to be thrown out in lieu of time constraints, replaced with yet more shiny graphics that will no doubt hide the fact that you've played this game already. Only it was better the first time: when it was on the NES.
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: Memor-X on March 25, 2009, 07:17:19 pm
well concidering that RPG Maker XP can sinmulate 3d to a point *neon signs flashing and point to Mode7* but it's never really about the graphics, it's about the story and the features, if Final Fantasy I when it was FIRST created (not Dawn of Souls or a DS one if it's been released), if they had made it 3d, everyone would but scared, but if they had added the Soul of Chaos Dungeons and had the materia system (i know it conflicts with their default learning system but who cares, this is an example) people would still accept it
Title: Re: still under some construction 3d rpg maker
Post by: RoseSkye on March 27, 2009, 02:47:29 am
Quote from: Memor-X on March 25, 2009, 07:17:19 pm
well concidering that RPG Maker XP can sinmulate 3d to a point *neon signs flashing and point to Mode7* but it's never really about the graphics, it's about the story and the features, if Final Fantasy I when it was FIRST created (not Dawn of Souls or a DS one if it's been released), if they had made it 3d, everyone would but scared, but if they had added the Soul of Chaos Dungeons and had the materia system (i know it conflicts with their default learning system but who cares, this is an example) people would still accept it


Mode 7 is about as useful as a one legged pony in an asskicking contest.