So I found out a couple of my friends at class play FFXI, so I decided to sub up again for the game.
Just to stem the flow of "but you hate WoW, why do you play FFXI" or the like; there is an explanation for why I like the game in the following spoiler.
1: friends that play - this makes the game fun
2: I love the graphics/style of the game
3: It's hard - it's terribly difficult (if not impossible) to solo to max level, making parties more essential, meaning you need to know how to play well, or you're going to be out a party.
4: sense of accomplishment - last time I played, I was level 12 before my trial ran out (had no money to sub) and I had just gotten my Scale Mail set, and even at such a low level, it felt like I had actually -done- something. Like I actually earned the damn full set of armor.
I'm not opening this up for a debate about why FFXI sucks or why [insert] MMO is better, or any form of debate. I'm just gonna post a few screenshots and answer questions about the game if people care :P
Btw: my toon -
Mithra RDM, on the Hades server.
anyone else play/played before?
I'm a major Final Fantasy fan, and a lot of my friends have been pressuring me to play it, but have no money nor interest in paying for it. Especially since I'm definitely not an MMO type of person. ._.
I got sick of MMOs in general. xD
Other than that I agree that playing a game that all your friends play can be quite fun since you're playing it with them after all.
Hard describes this game perfectly. I never got past Level 6 while soloing, or at all for that matter.
Of course, I only played for a couple of weeks, but still, that's hard. Leveling up itself isn't hard, but staying there...
Screenie of my catgirl redmage
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/psycho-mantis/FFXIScreen.jpg)
Mithra are the most agile race, which makes them a great choice for Ninja (Which I'm doing later in game), but are female only, which is why my toon's a girl.
Quote from: Ann Boleyn on April 17, 2009, 04:40:54 pm
Hard describes this game perfectly. I never got past Level 6 while soloing, or at all for that matter.
Of course, I only played for a couple of weeks, but still, that's hard. Leveling up itself isn't hard, but staying there...
yeah, it's not a game for solo players, not at the start anyway. There are some great solo class combos you can put together (like RDM/NIN, I've seen those solo gods before), but it's not nearly as fun.
I played FFXI ... bored me to tears.
I did meet this cute asian chick on it though.. she was hot. Irl she was pretty nuts though.. but I'd still put up with her crap for a short while.
(http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/76/l_794382e998b661ed224c2d6f6080f8be.jpg)
Still, you can't deny its massive superiority when it comes to graphics -- nothing even comes close.
Quote from: WcW on April 19, 2009, 12:56:04 pm
Still, you can't deny its massive superiority when it comes to graphics -- nothing even comes close.
the game is so gorgeous @_@
Was that sarcasm?
I don't recognize that smiley >_< But I'm assuming it's a dazed one.
Quote from: WcW on April 20, 2009, 08:11:41 am
Was that sarcasm?
I don't recognize that smiley >_< But I'm assuming it's a dazed one.
no, it's not, the game is absolutely gorgeous.
How much does the game exactly cost? And dont you have to pay for memberships to?
It depends. Do you have infinite patience and a fat PS2 or capable PC?
I have a skinny ps2. Does it really matter? And i have a pretty good computer.
My patience is pretty good exept when I'm in a bad mood
Quote from: game_guy on April 20, 2009, 04:19:19 pm
How much does the game exactly cost? And dont you have to pay for memberships to?
it costs like $15 to buy the box with the original game and all 4 expansions.
out of the box, you get 30 days free, then they charge you $12.95 a month for your account (with one character) and $1 a month for each additional character.
Just that a Slim PS2 can't use the HDD and that the PC version might be a bit intensive on the hardware. Other than that, no.
But if you play the PS2 version, be ready to wait. Maybe the PC version, too. I wouldn't know for sure though.
Quote from: WcW on April 20, 2009, 09:44:39 pm
Just that a Slim PS2 can't use the HDD and that the PC version might be a bit intensive on the hardware. Other than that, no.
But if you play the PS2 version, be ready to wait. Maybe the PC version, too. I wouldn't know for sure though.
it's not very hardware intensive at all
min requirement for ram is 128 mb, and you can run it on a Pentium III.
hell, the game runs on Dial Up.
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/envi/win/win01.html?pageID=win
but patching is a BITCH.
if you install the game, let it patch overnight, trust me, it's a lot less painful that way.
Careful. Your connection has nothing to do with the game speed, only with the lag in game. Most network games were optimized that way to allow a smooth play even over dial-up. Usually the idea is only to transmit input data over the network.
Quote from: Blizzard on April 21, 2009, 03:49:39 am
Careful. Your connection has nothing to do with the game speed, only with the lag in game. Most network games were optimized that way to allow a smooth play even over dial-up. Usually the idea is only to transmit input data over the network.
I know how that works, trust me, I've had to explain it to my dad repeatedly.
I'm just saying the game is really old and any modern computer should be able to run it :P
Looks like a pretty fun game, but a bit too pricey. Must be better than those Korean MMOs, but how does it compare to WoW?
Quote from: Diokatsu on April 21, 2009, 08:49:54 pm
Looks like a pretty fun game, but a bit too pricey. Must be better than those Korean MMOs, but how does it compare to WoW?
it's a lot harder than WoW, and it's nearly impossible to solo to max level, if it's even possible at all.
Also there aren't little ! and ? above questgiver's heads, so you either have to wiki or actually -talk- to NPCs in town to find quests and such. It's an old first-gen MMO.
The interface is menu-driven, not hotkey driven, so there's a lot of focus on macros and stuff.
Also there's no PvP but Arena PvP.
I'm not sure what else to say without getting biased.
It costs less than WoW, actually, unless you somehow need all those extra characters.
lol @ extra chars
I honestly would be perfectly happy with just one.
I am thinking of picking up a mmo again this summer. Dunno if I will or even which I will pick but I am thinking about it.
Quote from: Kingmunkey on April 21, 2009, 10:15:11 pm
I honestly would be perfectly happy with just one.
I am thinking of picking up a mmo again this summer. Dunno if I will or even which I will pick but I am thinking about it.
you only need one.
any character can level any class in the game, so if you want a different type of character, you can just level that class instead of making an entirely new toon.
if you pick up FFXI, play on Hades, I can help you :D
Quote from: WcW on April 21, 2009, 09:28:23 pm
lol @ extra chars
yeah exactly
Alrighty I may look into it. I will probably get the trial thing for like a dollar or how much ever it was that just came with the regular game i do believe. And I may try WoW again because all the people I know IRL play WoW but i really for some reason cannot get into WoW. But yea I will let you know if I do decide to pick it up again
Quote from: Kingmunkey on April 21, 2009, 11:12:41 pm
Alrighty I may look into it. I will probably get the trial thing for like a dollar or how much ever it was that just came with the regular game i do believe. And I may try WoW again because all the people I know IRL play WoW but i really for some reason cannot get into WoW. But yea I will let you know if I do decide to pick it up again
$15 for a copy of the game (box) and you get a free month with it.
No what I mean is at my local Gamestop they have like a trial version for like a dollar and you get either 15 days or a month but i dont remember for sure. But If I do decide to get into it again I will probably just go all out and get the whole thing.
Hmmm and if I play what would I be? *ponders*
Quote from: Kingmunkey on April 21, 2009, 11:44:11 pm
No what I mean is at my local Gamestop they have like a trial version for like a dollar and you get either 15 days or a month but i dont remember for sure. But If I do decide to get into it again I will probably just go all out and get the whole thing.
Hmmm and if I play what would I be? *ponders*
ah, I forgot about those.
as far as what you'd be...
Races: Hume (average), Mithra (most agile race, female only), Galka (toughest, male only), Tarutaru (midgets, best at magic), Elvaan (strongest race)
Starting Classes: Red Mage, White Mage, Black Mage, Thief, Warrior, Monk.
Mage is really slow to start from my experience, and if you happen to be on a server with a bad economy, its almost impossible to get spells. Warrior was okay when I tried it.
Quote from: WcW on April 22, 2009, 11:12:49 pm
Mage is really slow to start from my experience, and if you happen to be on a server with a bad economy, its almost impossible to get spells. Warrior was okay when I tried it.
from my experience, Hades and Fenrir are alright servers, economy-wise.
they also added in these 'field manuals' where you can accept 'training regimes' once per world day, which when you complete, give you a nice fat xp and gil bonus. It makes starting out a -lot- easier.
I looked at wal-mart today and couldnt find the game :wacko:
soooo where can I go buying it? Without going online and using credit card
Quote from: game_guy on April 23, 2009, 12:16:22 am
I looked at wal-mart today and couldnt find the game :wacko:
soooo where can I go buying it? Without going online and using credit card
I got mine at gamestop.
beautiful moon just now
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/psycho-mantis/mooon.jpg)