Chaos Project

RPG Maker => General Discussion => Topic started by: godsrighthand on June 14, 2009, 10:39:52 pm

Title: Inactivity issues -- Advice needed
Post by: godsrighthand on June 14, 2009, 10:39:52 pm
First of all i am not sure where to post this

I have collected a number of scripts from these forums and am trying to get permission from their creators to use them in a commercial project. I have been able to get permission from more active people (blizzard and game_guy) however certain members (Falcon, Winkio, Shdwlink1993) have not responded.

While Shdwlink has protected his work with CC, winkio and Falcon have not done so. I have thought about using their works by simply crediting them but not asking permission. I want to know is this morally, ethically and legally acceptable ???

Advice please
Title: Re: Inactivity issues -- Advice needed
Post by: Starrodkirby86 on June 14, 2009, 10:47:53 pm
Winkio doesn't go on this forums anymore. He basically left. He probably does fly back from time to time, but for the most part, buh-bye mi amigo. You can probably contact him via e-mail.

Falcon is a member of RMRK. You can contact him through the the forums there.

shdwlink1993 has been not so active lately, but has appeared a little back. Don't know if he'll appear again, he's quite a quagmire now...Which is sad. :/

It's definitely acceptable, as long as you give credit. For a research paper, you don't ask your sources permission to get that particular information for your thing. You simply credit them or acknowledge...

However, in some cases, you may do require permission from the script authors IF the project is commericial (You plan to sell it). If so, then try and contact them with high priority. If they don't respond, it's probably safe to still do it, but who knows...
Title: Re: Inactivity issues -- Advice needed
Post by: godsrighthand on June 14, 2009, 11:29:09 pm
Winkio-- dont know his email
Falcon-- ill take your advice
shdwlink1998-- He protected his work with CC and i respect that so ill w8 for him to come by, ( dont know his email )

Thnx for the advice
Title: Re: Inactivity issues -- Advice needed
Post by: Starrodkirby86 on June 15, 2009, 12:31:58 am
You're right...I forgot about how SMF isn't the same with its e-mail system. Winkio and shdw do have their e-mails set to private. Of course, I do know them, but I am going to respect their authority.

Your game is non-commercial, right? I am sure it is okay in that case to simply credit and use. But yes, let's go on with your plan to also have shdw wait for contact, if you want. :S
Title: Re: Inactivity issues -- Advice needed
Post by: godsrighthand on June 15, 2009, 04:04:35 am
Quote from: godsrighthand on June 14, 2009, 10:39:52 pm

I have collected a number of scripts from these forums and am trying to get permission from their creators to use them in a commercial project.
Title: Re: Inactivity issues -- Advice needed
Post by: Blizzard on June 15, 2009, 04:37:35 am
I'll PM you the e-mails they used to register because this is a unusual situation.
Title: Re: Inactivity issues -- Advice needed
Post by: godsrighthand on June 15, 2009, 07:03:33 am
Thank you er....... Asshole ( im not sure if its a bug or not but your name appears as "Asshole" :???: :???: )
Title: Re: Inactivity issues -- Advice needed
Post by: Blizzard on June 15, 2009, 07:04:46 am
No, no, I changed my display name. xD Since it's Darth week, "Darth Asshole" sounds hilarious.