Chaos Project

Game Development => General Discussion => Topic started by: G_G on August 31, 2009, 03:19:50 am

Title: Hosting Private Server for Game
Post by: G_G on August 31, 2009, 03:19:50 am
Well me and a few friends want to make a Gunz server. Now I've been trying and trying for the past year to do it. But the server never shows up but I found out I need to unblock a few ports first. But I never really figured out how so I'm wondering if its possible to host it on a web hosting site like 000webhost or someother place besides hamachi.

See setting the server up requires the server to have an ip (i'm sure you all know) but I've tried my ip and it doesnt work so thats why I need help with this. So all I need to know is if I can host the server on a webhosting site and if so then which site?
Title: Re: Hosting Private Server for Game
Post by: Starrodkirby86 on August 31, 2009, 09:13:41 am
I thought every IP has the availability to work. If Valcos can host a Private Maple Story, then I don't how you can't host a Gunz Server. I guess I can simply say, "You're doing it wrong"?

o_o

Your best bet is to study off Hamachi. All custom server games I know besides Ragnarok Online use Hamachi. Basically you use that online program to host your server. :/
Title: Re: Hosting Private Server for Game
Post by: Aqua on August 31, 2009, 11:15:33 am
Hamachi connects people to a LAN (Local Area Network), but what you really want is for people to connect through WAN (Wide Area Network, ie the Internet), unless you don't want random people signing up to play.

If you don't want random people and just your friends, then just use Hamachi. :P
The IP you'd use is the one that Hamachi gives you.

If you want the WAN, you'd need to get a STATIC IP address and must have a router to open your ports.
And it'd depend on what router you have, but portforward.com has lots of tutorials of (all?) routers.

Regardless of what you do...
You /might/ need to have you and your friends edit their hosts files in order to connect to your server.


Edit:
Also... if you don't have a router... USE HAMACHI :D
Title: Re: Hosting Private Server for Game
Post by: Blizzard on August 31, 2009, 11:31:17 am
Not quite right. Hamachi simulates a LAN over a WAN, also called VPN (Virtual Private Network). Hamachi is your way to go. It makes things much easier.
Title: Re: Hosting Private Server for Game
Post by: Aqua on August 31, 2009, 11:34:54 am
Quote from: Blizzard on August 31, 2009, 11:31:17 am
Hamachi simulates a LAN over a WAN


That's what I meant to say... :roll:
Title: Re: Hosting Private Server for Game
Post by: G_G on August 31, 2009, 03:31:24 pm
Well I guess I'll stick with hamachi than. Thanks guys.
Title: Re: Hosting Private Server for Game
Post by: fugibo on August 31, 2009, 04:38:25 pm
Quote from: game_guy on August 31, 2009, 03:19:50 am
Well me and a few friends want to make a Gunz server. Now I've been trying and trying for the past year to do it. But the server never shows up but I found out I need to unblock a few ports first. But I never really figured out how so I'm wondering if its possible to host it on a web hosting site like 000webhost or someother place besides hamachi.

See setting the server up requires the server to have an ip (i'm sure you all know) but I've tried my ip and it doesnt work so thats why I need help with this. So all I need to know is if I can host the server on a webhosting site and if so then which site?


Two ways to "unlock" a port:

1) Edit firewall settings

2) Edit router settings (usually from a web browser; just type in your router's IP - usually something like "192.168.0.1" - and edit them)
Title: Re: Hosting Private Server for Game
Post by: G_G on August 31, 2009, 05:01:17 pm
I found a port forwarding program. So if I open up the right ports I can run the server from my ip right?
Title: Re: Hosting Private Server for Game
Post by: fugibo on August 31, 2009, 05:06:23 pm
Quote from: game_guy on August 31, 2009, 05:01:17 pm
I found a port forwarding program. So if I open up the right ports I can run the server from my ip right?


You don't need a program, it'll be built-in to your router.
Title: Re: Hosting Private Server for Game
Post by: G_G on August 31, 2009, 05:24:29 pm
Yea I know but this program is easier to use but it all worked out. I tested it out on Eclipse and now going to try it for gunz. Or maybe rmx-os seeing its faster.