Chaos Project

RPG Maker => Event Systems => Event System Requests => Topic started by: GAX on February 15, 2008, 01:12:26 pm

Title: [RESOLVED] Little help...
Post by: GAX on February 15, 2008, 01:12:26 pm
Okay, I'm in need of some info because I want to put in some events into CF.

Here's what I need to do.  There's going to be tons of puzzles in the game, but I think it would be a little tedious to keep on creating new variables for every single puzzle, especially because I'm already going to have to clean up my switch database, to make it a little more manageable.  So I'm wondering, and asking the event writers first, would it be better to keep on recycling a variable, or should I just make separate variables for each puzzle event?
Title: Re: Little help...
Post by: Sally on February 16, 2008, 09:12:28 am
sory i couldnet reply i was to much on trying to fix my computer but i failed... but, maby use variables?

let me think on this one...


you have tons of switches, and you dont like it? ... hmm dont forget to use variables wile you also use switches...

im not really sure what your trying to do... sorry :(
Title: Re: Little help...
Post by: Nortos on February 16, 2008, 10:31:39 pm
I would say it's more easy to manage if it's all cleaned and stuff but is your game really gonna be long enough to use over 999 variables? I think would be pretty hard but if you would maybe you should reuse them also it might be better not to reuse them if your game has a world map or you can travel back to old places easy
Title: Re: Little help...
Post by: Sally on February 16, 2008, 10:55:58 pm
my game is gonna use like 999 variables lol kuz... i use alot :P

withought variables i coulkdent make a game!! :P
Title: Re: Little help...
Post by: GAX on February 17, 2008, 03:29:47 am
What I mean is, like a few univeral variables.
One puzzle has to do with making a switch value equal a specific number, in this case it must be exactly 7.
Switch 1 on = +0
Switch 1 off = +1
Switch 2 on = +2
Switch 2 off = +3
Switch 3 on = +4
Switch 3 off = +5

To obtain this number, you'd just have to turn 1 on, 2 off, and 3 on.

The number itself is stored as a variable such as 003: UPV
After the puzzle is finished correctly, the variable is set back to zero and a switch is activated to prevent the puzzle from reactivating and keeping the switches from modifying the variable.

The next one has two doors.  This will use a random variable 1 or 0.  The random variable is stored in the UPV and the player chooses a door, the door will either open or attack the player, depending on if the number for that door is the variable (0 or 1).

I'm honestly asking this because up to now, Chaotic Fury has used NO variables.
Title: Re: Little help...
Post by: winkio on February 17, 2008, 10:56:31 am
Oh, I have a lot of these types of things in my game.  But you have a problem with the setup you posted:

you can get to 7 at least 3 different ways: the one you mentioned, or 1 on 2 on 3 off, or 1 off 2 on 3 on.

This is what I do:
I make it so that each switch gives +1 when in the correct position and +0 when in the incorrect position.  That way, the only way to solve the puzzle is to maximize the variable, so there is only one way to solve.  For example, for your setup, it would be

Switch 1 on = +1
Switch 1 off = +0
Switch 2 on = +0
Switch 2 off = +1
Switch 3 on = +1
Switch 3 off = +0

And the puzzle would end when the variable equaled 3. 

Anyways, using variables does make puzzles a lot easier on the eventer, but make sure that there are no bugs. ;)
Title: Re: Little help...
Post by: GAX on February 17, 2008, 01:52:44 pm
Hmm, that seems a bit easier.

I'm honestly just getting into big events, since the furthest thing I've done up to now with CF is cutscenes with events.  The switch puzzle is just one of the many I need to learn to do right.  I need to figure this out soon though, because up to now, the most I've honestly put focus into on my game are maps, story, and finding character sprite/battlers/monsters, which has become a hell of a lot harder ever since Phanx went down.
Title: Re: Little help...
Post by: Blizzard on February 18, 2008, 09:51:36 am
I have a couple of variables which I use for all my minigames. Since they get resetted when a minigame starts it pretty much doesn't matter.