Chaos Project

RPG Maker => General Discussion => Topic started by: Nortos on February 16, 2008, 11:59:24 pm

Title: Music Legalties
Post by: Nortos on February 16, 2008, 11:59:24 pm
Hey guys I've been researching it and I can't find anything really but I was wondering the legal issues of this.
If my game was NOT commercial and I decided to rip some of my game soundtracks like Guild Wars and Valkerie Profile would this be illegal? The parts I've read about says that it's illegal to distribute copies of your music and someone I know thinks that they would just have a free copy of the music when they play your game, I would of course encrypt it with DREAM but would this be illegal or legal?
Title: Re: Music Legalties
Post by: Punn on February 17, 2008, 07:26:41 am
From what I learned, if you use their music and trying to make money, then its illegal, but if your just using it and not trying to make money, its okay. And I think you should also credit em as well..
Title: Re: Music Legalties
Post by: Blizzard on February 18, 2008, 08:06:31 am
Just like mumerus said. Everybody can rip it, so I guess encrypting with DREAM isn't necessary, but you can still use it as precaution.
Title: Re: Music Legalties
Post by: Quan on February 27, 2008, 04:35:04 pm
It's sort of a complicated issue, but as long as you're not making any money off of distributing your game it shouldn't be a problem.  Once money gets involved you have to deal with royalties and intellectual property rights and all of that other legal mumbo-jumbo.

Of course, you can always play it like we do in the world of sampling and just hope you don't get caught.  ;D
Title: Re: Music Legalties
Post by: Nortos on February 27, 2008, 05:04:19 pm
:P anyway I wasn't gonna sell my game, so yeah I think I'll go forward with it