Chaos Project

General => Chat => Topic started by: Calintz on January 19, 2010, 10:50:50 pm

Title: Interlacing
Post by: Calintz on January 19, 2010, 10:50:50 pm
Ladies and gentlemen,

I was hoping that someone could enlighten me as to what interlacing does for graphics? I understand how interlacing helps videos, but does interlacing aid in the quality of still images in any way? I am concerned, because when saving .png format files with photoshop I am asked whether or not I want my materials interlaced. I don't see why this helps still images.. .. ..does it?
Title: Re: Interlacing
Post by: Aqua on January 19, 2010, 11:17:47 pm
Interlace shows the image progressively from bad quality to full quality.

Without interlacing, pngs would load line by line pixels at full quality as the data is downloaded.
Interlacing would show the entire image at once, but VERY simplified in blocks of colors.  Then as the data downloads, the blocks of color become smaller and more diverse, until the whole image is in its tiny pixel-sized boxes.

Personally, I like interlacing, but I always forget to do it! XD
Title: Re: Interlacing
Post by: Calintz on January 19, 2010, 11:18:24 pm
As far as RMXP, interlacing is irrelevant though?
Title: Re: Interlacing
Post by: Aqua on January 19, 2010, 11:18:54 pm
Wow, you reply fast.

Yes, it's irrelevant.
(I think)
Title: Re: Interlacing
Post by: Calintz on January 19, 2010, 11:20:45 pm
Lol, thanks. =D.
I only wanted to know because using interlacing increases the files size by a noticeable degree. If the resources don't need interlacing, then I see no point in adding the extra file size. Makes the game a faster download in the end.
Title: Re: Interlacing
Post by: Blizzard on January 20, 2010, 05:54:33 am
not interlaced: ShowHide
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/bblizzard/Blizz-Art/CPXtreme_wallpaper1280x960.png)


interlaced: ShowHide
(http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4619/interlacede.png)


I hope your connection is slow enough so you can see the difference in image loading.
Title: Re: Interlacing
Post by: Calintz on January 20, 2010, 07:57:06 am
Lol, it's not.
I have one of the fastest services in my area.. .. ..

A cable connection at 100mbs
Thank you for trying though, Lol.