Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Topic started by: Wizered67 on March 13, 2010, 02:39:30 am

Title: [Resolved] Norton firewall exceptions???
Post by: Wizered67 on March 13, 2010, 02:39:30 am
Hello, I'm Wizered67, and I have a problem. While trying to get rmx-os to work, there is an error where the script hangs when one of my firends tries to play the game. After getting help, I believe this is caused by my norton antivirus firewall. I googled it to try to make an excpetion like I need to, but I can't get it to work. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me with my problem.

Thanks in advance,
Wizered67

ps. If this is in the wrong section, could someone please move it....
Title: Re: Norton firewall exceptions???
Post by: G_G on March 13, 2010, 10:15:13 am
thats probably not why, you don't have the correct port open for your server, so other people cannot connect. Either that or your server is setup wrong, or your server wasn't running at all.
Title: Re: Norton firewall exceptions???
Post by: WhiteRose on March 13, 2010, 12:15:07 pm
Quote from: Hellfire's G_G on March 13, 2010, 10:15:13 am
thats probably not why, you don't have the correct port open for your server, so other people cannot connect. Either that or your server is setup wrong, or your server wasn't running at all.

He has already asked me about this, and said he has port-forwarding set up, so I don't think that's the problem. Of course, it's always possible he set it up incorrectly, and opened the wrong port or something.
Title: Re: Norton firewall exceptions???
Post by: Wizered67 on March 13, 2010, 12:45:54 pm
Well, before I did the port forwarding that I did, it didn't work when I tried to start the server. However, afterwards, it worked fine and I was able to connect to my server. Just for some reason my firends get a script is hanging error.....
Title: Re: Norton firewall exceptions???
Post by: Wizered67 on March 14, 2010, 01:56:02 am
I think I figure out the problem! I believe under the security tab at 192.168.1.1, I need to uncheck "block anonymous internet requests" Now my question is, is it dangerous to do this?
Title: Re: Norton firewall exceptions???
Post by: Blizzard on March 15, 2010, 03:38:47 am
Norton is not an anti-virus. Norton is a virus. ._. I'd suggest that you simply change to any other software. I personally prefer NOD 32, but Kaspersky and Bitdefender aren't bad either if you don't mind it asking for every single thing multiple times or slowness. Just throwing it out there.
Title: Re: Norton firewall exceptions???
Post by: Wizered67 on March 15, 2010, 05:44:01 pm
it just so happens that uesterday I switched to kasperksy! yay!!!!!!!
Title: Re: Norton firewall exceptions???
Post by: Wizered67 on March 17, 2010, 11:09:14 pm
okay, so maybe it isn't that, as I did that, but the error still seems to appear. So can someone tell me what I need to do? Oh, and I now have kasperksy  :D
Title: Re: Norton firewall exceptions???
Post by: Blizzard on March 18, 2010, 03:08:17 am
The problem isn't in your firewall but in your lack of port forwarding on your router. :P
Title: Re: Norton firewall exceptions???
Post by: Wizered67 on March 18, 2010, 05:48:52 pm
Actually, I did do the port forwarding.....
Title: Re: Norton firewall exceptions???
Post by: Blizzard on March 19, 2010, 02:42:38 am
Then your PC isn't configured to accept incoming connections properly. Trust me, those two things are just a few that can go wrong. There are a lot more and if you're lucky, you won't encounter them.