Chaos Project

RPG Maker => General Discussion => Troubleshooting / Help => Topic started by: Alton Wyte on March 16, 2010, 01:27:33 pm

Title: [RESOLVED]Strange graphical error
Post by: Alton Wyte on March 16, 2010, 01:27:33 pm
I'm having a graphical error. It's probably with a script but I do not know what is causing it.
(http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/6904/screenshotproblem.th.png) (http://img682.imageshack.us/i/screenshotproblem.png/)
Scripts I'm using(Not in order):
ToA
UMS
ATES
CP Save Layout
Element Attack Armours
The Modified Ccoa's AWS
G_G's Quest log
HoT DoT
CP Debug System
Minkoff's Animated Battlers
The Advanced Shop Status Window
And a slightly modified Scene_Menu to show the game's time instead of the play time, and to go to quests instead of saving.(I use save points instead).
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Blizzard on March 16, 2010, 01:36:24 pm
Post your exact script order.
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Trainer Zydragon on March 16, 2010, 02:00:27 pm
I doubt it'll be the modified Scene_Menu, since theyre simple edits (unless you went seriously wrong somewhere)

Try taking out a script at a time to see what the deal is?
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Alton Wyte on March 16, 2010, 03:04:54 pm
There's the script order
(http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4088/scriptorder.th.png) (http://img638.imageshack.us/i/scriptorder.png/)
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Trainer Zydragon on March 16, 2010, 03:16:39 pm
I would suggest taking out the UMS and weather system and playtest (back it up first obviously) and see if the error happens again, or POSSIBLY the add-ons at the bottom there.

Do them seperately and itll show which script is causing it.
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Blizzard on March 16, 2010, 03:44:27 pm
Hm... Try putting the quest log under the save system.
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Alton Wyte on March 16, 2010, 04:02:32 pm
No effect. It seems that it is not disposing of the sprites before the menu is called, correct?
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Blizzard on March 16, 2010, 04:18:56 pm
Ok, can you tell me what exactly is the error?
It's possible that for some reason one of the scripts use a map background. If the sprites wouldn't be disposed automatically, they would stay in the menu for a moment and then disappear.
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Trainer Zydragon on March 16, 2010, 04:19:44 pm
in that case youll need to place some .dispose things in Scene_Menu somewhere, or whatever script is the custom menu system. So if you have something like Scene_Something.new, you'll have to add:

@scene_whatever = Scene_Whatever.new

then later on:

@scene_whatever.dispose

(or possibly @spriteset.dispose)

I dont know whats in the scripts, I havnt looked through them. And I'm assuming you dont know how to script :P but I think Blizz will beat me to it anyway XD

EDIT: Does the script hang like that or can you still exit/select options?
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Alton Wyte on March 16, 2010, 05:02:11 pm
I can exit/select options, the events and actor train just stays on wqithout disposing. They don't just stay for a few seconds, I could have it on for thirty minutes and it would still be there. And every time I enter the menu they are still there and it happens again. But the map scene is just fine...and I'm just leatning how to script.
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Trainer Zydragon on March 16, 2010, 05:06:21 pm
Right in that case, make a demo (or a small playtest), zip it with WinRAR, and upload to MediaFire or some other upload site, and post the URL here.
Ill download, playtest, and see if I can figure out the scripts.

DONT make a game file, just zip your project, and I'll look at it tnight if you upload it soon :)
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Blizzard on March 16, 2010, 05:14:00 pm
One of the scripts probably creates an instance of Spriteset_Map during the map scene.
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Trainer Zydragon on March 16, 2010, 05:16:21 pm
*nods* I was gonna flick through the scripts and attempt to solve it, will be good for my amatuer skills, but if you solve it before me Blizz, let me know XD
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Alton Wyte on March 16, 2010, 05:37:24 pm
Ok I uploaded a project with just the map and I forgot to assign a graphic to the player so you'll have put one on first. Sorry about my forgetfulness.
http://www.mediafire.com/?edjkinyttmr
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Trainer Zydragon on March 16, 2010, 05:43:53 pm
No worries, give me a while to sort it out, might even be tomorrow when I repost (its almost 11PM over here)
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Alton Wyte on March 16, 2010, 05:45:42 pm
All right. Thanks for helping.
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Trainer Zydragon on March 16, 2010, 05:54:04 pm
Alright, problem solved (I surprised myself with how quick I did this ^_^)

Go to your custom *Scene_Menu

Go to line 55 and change this:

   @status_window.y = 0
   # Execute transition
   Graphics.transition
   # Main loop
   loop {
     # Update game screen
     Graphics.update
     # Update input information
     Input.update
     # Frame update
     update
     # Abort loop if screen is changed
     if $scene != self
       break
     end
   }
   # Prepare for transition
   Graphics.freeze
   # Dispose of windows
   @command_window.dispose
   @time_window.dispose
   @location_window.dispose
   @gold_window.dispose
   @status_window.dispose
 end


to this:


   @status_window.y = 0
   @spriteset = Spriteset_Map.new
   # Execute transition
   Graphics.transition
   # Main loop
   loop {
     # Update game screen
     Graphics.update
     # Update input information
     Input.update
     # Frame update
     update
     # Abort loop if screen is changed
     if $scene != self
       break
     end
   }
   # Prepare for transition
   Graphics.freeze
   # Dispose of windows
   @command_window.dispose
   @time_window.dispose
   @location_window.dispose
   @gold_window.dispose
   @status_window.dispose
   @spriteset.dispose
 end


For some reason the lines "@spriteset = Spriteset_Map.new" and "@spriteset.dispose" werent included to dispose of and refresh the background window, so rather than refreshing nicely, it was just overlaying the images with a certain transparency (25% by the looks of things, it had four different frames every time I paused).
I'm assuming its either part of the UMC, or your own edit, but its only that simple fix ^_^ works fine for me now :D.
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Alton Wyte on March 16, 2010, 06:00:41 pm
Thanks! That works. Now I can focus on more important things, like plot!
Title: Re: Strange graphical error
Post by: Trainer Zydragon on March 16, 2010, 06:06:46 pm
No worries, just change the topic title to [RESOLVED].

And feel free to throw me a level ;)
Title: Re: [RESOLVED]Strange graphical error
Post by: Alton Wyte on March 16, 2010, 06:10:55 pm
I gave you one for solving it so quickly
Title: Re: [RESOLVED]Strange graphical error
Post by: Trainer Zydragon on March 16, 2010, 06:22:47 pm
Haha arigatou ^_^

Need any more script help, PM me and let me know :)
Title: Re: [RESOLVED]Strange graphical error
Post by: Alton Wyte on March 16, 2010, 06:24:43 pm
Will do.