Chaos Project

RPG Maker => General Discussion => Topic started by: Magus on May 20, 2010, 02:23:26 pm

Title: Rpg Maker Discussion: Large Maps
Post by: Magus on May 20, 2010, 02:23:26 pm
My brother whips my ass about this all the time when it comes to maps:

Quote:

"DAMMNIT, YOU'RE MAKING YOUR MAPS TO DAMN LONG, YOU &%&%&%) [trust me, he can take a word and make up something with it)

I just have a simple question:

Do large Maps bother people?     Even if you have Blizz-abs "running ability"[which I can't live without]


He does say that, my use of cutscenes is the ONLY thing that's making my "long (width 75) maps worth playing"

He only makes an exception to the long maps with a height of 75, or the maps I create inside buildings, the cruel motherfucker xD

He's like "STOP MAKING FORESTS MAPS YOU ASSFUCKER. AAAA"

(whether is decorated good or not) He hates long maps unless they either have a cutscene or a purpose. (purpose as in, I created an a chase scene, using custom move routes, and jumping of course, and lower opacity.(to give it an appearance that the enemy just moved at a super fast speed) He thought it was fun as hell.]



Bottom line, from my brother being cruel,  Do long maps bother you?



Title: Re: Rpg Maker Discussion: Large Maps
Post by: Blizzard on May 20, 2010, 02:32:51 pm
They don't really bother me, but usually they create a feeling of tediousness. Try to keep them under 80x80. Maybe under 120x120 if you have Blizz-ABS. Just be careful with that size in general as bigger maps lag more.
Title: Re: Rpg Maker Discussion: Large Maps
Post by: winkio on May 20, 2010, 02:51:46 pm
Something I did for Dissipate was create very large maps (200x200), and then cut them up into pieces(20x40 ish).  It keeps the continuity and logic that larger maps have without having dead space.
Title: Re: Rpg Maker Discussion: Large Maps
Post by: Blizzard on May 20, 2010, 02:55:42 pm
You can do the same as winkio and use my "Continuous Maps" script to let the game handle all maps as a big one.
That reminds me, I should probably fix the bugs people reported. >_>
Title: Re: Rpg Maker Discussion: Large Maps
Post by: Magus on May 20, 2010, 03:03:36 pm
I once created a dark castle ( a secret level that appears when you beat the game, in my unreleased version of Nawm)

that was  about 400 by 300,  then 200 by 100, 300 by 300.

the 400 by 300 lagged like shit, so I fixed the problem by deleting a few enemies (I had alot)

[blizz-abs of course]
Title: Re: Rpg Maker Discussion: Large Maps
Post by: legacyblade on May 20, 2010, 06:59:35 pm
Why would anyone care if the map is large O.o You're going to have to walk the same amount of distance, making them large just removes the amount of loading time.
Title: Re: Rpg Maker Discussion: Large Maps
Post by: Starrodkirby86 on May 20, 2010, 07:20:49 pm
A large map with a LOT of negative space is definitely not the most exciting thing ever...I mean, walking unneeded distances through blank denizens of the map is quite tedious, don't you think?

With Blizzard's Continuous Maps script, I don't really see the need to create gigantic maps in RMXP (Unless you want to conserve the 999 Map quota, which not many people even reach anyway).

Though, there are some large maps that are definitely breathtaking and beautiful (Such a map escapes my mind). Hopefully such a thing doesn't become a labyrinth.