ok over that last mouth this problem has reoccurred at-least 5 times I've re imaged the computer three times in oarder to recover from it. the forth time I ran check-disk in repair mode to fix it and this last time startup repair "fixed diskerrors" and the computer worked normally again.
here's what happens. I'm going about my normal stuff when suddenly the computer freezes. I CAN move the mouse but nothing else works. the taskbar and start menu don't respond all my windows are unresponsive, sometimes I can minimize them but that is it Ctrl+Alt+Deleate dose nothing and pressing the power button dose not shut the computer down like it should. the entire time there is no hard disk activity.
I'm forced the hold the power button and let the bios do a hard shutdown.
afterwords I try to restart the computer and every-time it either takes 10 times longer to start than normal or works for a while and then freezes with the loading bar animation running and no disk activity. if it dose start the computer freezes under identical symptoms as soon as all the start-up programs are finished loading. either-way I'm forced to hard shutdown again and boot into the recovery partition of my hard drive and run startup repair, if that dosn't solve any thing I run checkdisk in repair mode. the first two times I ran checkdisk I just froze while repairing the free space with no disk activity when that happened I was forced to run the re image and start from the factory state that has always worked but the second time I re-imaged the problem reoccurred within 5 hours and I re-imaged it again.
if this had happened once it would have been no problem but the problem has reoccurred 5 times with identical causes every time fixing disk and file system errors fixes the problem but permanently as it has comeback five times. the first time it was two weeks before it happened again the second time it happened again in five hours the third time the computer lasted 4 days and the fourth time the fix lasted a little-more than two weeks
I'm starting to believe that this may be an underling hardware problem, like hard disk failure. but this hard disk is only a year and a quoter old so that don't make sense.
any ideas?
if it is hard disk failure I guess I'll just deal with the problems until school is out and send it off under warranty to be repaired.
Possible that your CPU is out. A collegue told me recently how his friend had a PC with a damaged CPU. The computer would stop responding at times and sometimes only the mouse would work or something like that.
I don't think it's a HDD problem. Try the HDD out on another PC. Or try a different HDD in yours. If it's still messing with you, it's not the HDD (but I don't have to tell you that).
Quote from: Blizzard on May 23, 2010, 06:11:47 pm
Possible that your CPU is out. A collegue told me recently how his friend had a PC with a damaged CPU. The computer would stop responding at times and sometimes only the mouse would work or something like that.
I don't think it's a HDD problem. Try the HDD out on another PC. Or try a different HDD in yours. If it's still messing with you, it's not the HDD (but I don't have to tell you that).
chkdsk dose say the 4kb's are in bad sectors when it finishes repair mode...
also every time the computer freezes there is no disk activity in fact not vibrations from the hard disk even
Then it could be real the HDD. Well, as I said, try swapping the drives and see what happens.
Verdict is in. the hard drive failed. I should be getting a new one in the mail by Wednesday. in the mean time I've having a very hard time doing anything as the computer locks up randomly ever 30 minutes to 3 hours. then who knows how long to get back on my feet after the new HD is in.
the good news. I'll probably be upgrading to windows 7.
I'm back to a working computer, with Windows 7 on it now. it will take me another day to get set up agin but then work should resume.