Chaos Project

Community => News / Suggestions / Feedback => Topic started by: Blizzard on May 30, 2010, 03:48:12 am

Title: Featured Projects
Post by: Blizzard on May 30, 2010, 03:48:12 am
As some of you probably noticed, my game is a featured project here at this site. You can get your own game to be a featured project as well as long as it fulfills following requirements.



Why should you sign up? You get following benefits.



If you want to participate, post here with a link to your project topic and describe why your project should be a featured project.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: winkio on May 30, 2010, 06:18:49 pm
You do know that currently, the section is name "Features Projects", not "Featured Projects".

Besides fixing that, why such a low disk space limit on non-rmxp games?  Music is the big memory hog, and even non-rmxp games have lots of music...
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on May 30, 2010, 06:35:47 pm
I dislike how the rules automatically exclude games with alot of custom graphics and music... which are, mostly, games in which people put alot of effort in, and those should deserve a feature. What is that rule for?Will the game be uploaded on your server?
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: Spaceman McConaughey on May 30, 2010, 09:28:37 pm
Guys, we can't expect him to have unlimited web space. :o
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: Blizzard on May 31, 2010, 02:53:56 am
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on May 30, 2010, 06:35:47 pm
I dislike how the rules automatically exclude games with a lot of custom graphics and music... which are, mostly, games in which people put a lot of effort in, and those should deserve a feature. What is that rule for?Will the game be uploaded on your server?


What? No, it's the other way around. If you use only RTP, you can't ask your project to be a featured project.
And yes, you can upload the game on CP's server. :)

@winkio: Oh gawd, I'm so embarrassed. ._. This is been there for months.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on May 31, 2010, 03:28:31 am
Nah, I meant because of the file soze limitation.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: Blizzard on May 31, 2010, 06:33:38 am
You can use OGG for smaller file size. :P
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on May 31, 2010, 06:39:39 am
I could, but I still would never get under 100mb xD Music is a major part of my game.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: tSwitch on May 31, 2010, 12:53:47 pm
On RM Projects:
Why the prejudice against the RTP?
There's nothing wrong with it at all, and it doesn't make a great game any less great.

On non-RM Projects:
How about instead of killing any non-RM project's chance of being a featured project by saying it must be below 20MB of space (not hard to fill up, and just about any project that uses 3d will be pretty much out of the running, oops), why not just say that you can't store it on the server if it goes over a file limit.  I think filesize is a terrible measure of what should be 'featured', if they need space because 21mb is too much, direct them to https://www.dropbox.com/ but let the project be featured based on QUALITY, not forced abstract standards.

Also if a game is 80% done there's no real reason to do anything more than post a project thread, is there?  What does a whole forum do for you when you are 80% done with a project?

It looks a lot like you're "encouraging" people to not bother posting anything other than RM projects for consideration through extremely restrictive guidelines that would disqualify the serious projects (1 hour of gameplay time?) that you seem to want.  The quality of the game should be what matters, not technical specifications, and if nothing else, Featured Projects should be voted on instead of just added in if they meet these standards.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: Blizzard on May 31, 2010, 02:21:08 pm
My original idea was that featured projects should be hosted here as well, but I think you're right. You're completely right. I'm changing to the first post completely.

EDIT: Alright, done. But still. I don't see a point that every second project should become a featured project. That's defeating the whole purpose.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: winkio on May 31, 2010, 02:28:06 pm
My version of this section

You can get your own game to be a featured project as well as long as it fulfills following requirements.



Why should you sign up? You get following benefits.



If you want to participate, post here with a link to your project topic and describe why your project should be a featured project.


Basically, same requirements for both RMXP and non-RMXP.  I'd say 50MB is fair, but you could change it how you see fit.  Lowering the requirement to 50% completed, but adding in a length (3-hour) demo would help.  I think if it's featured, there should be a well developed demo.  And we should only feature games that are of a certain quality standard.  Nothing below the 6 hour play time mark seems reasonable, because I think if a project is featured, it should have some meat to its gameplay.

EDIT: hm, Blizz beat me to it.  But I really think length of game and a well developed demo are important.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: tSwitch on May 31, 2010, 02:50:19 pm
Quote from: winkio on May 31, 2010, 02:28:06 pm
  • The game has a demo of at least 3 hours of gameplay.



HOLY CHRIST.

Quote from: winkio on May 31, 2010, 02:28:06 pm
  • The game has more than 6 hours of gameplay in the expected finished version.



HOLY FLAMING SHITBALLS

Honestly, I understand not wanting every other project to be Featured, perhaps Featured is a misonomer, perhaps Sponsored projects could be more precise.  Top of the line epic projects that impress EVERYONE could be specifically Featured/Sponsored, especially when made by someone who has a prior track record for actually delivering.

Games with a reasonable size of disk space -could- be hosted as well, if you'd like for it to be.  But that's up to your own digression.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: winkio on May 31, 2010, 02:59:04 pm
I say we dicuss what featured projects should be.  Should they be promising new projects?  Projects with high community interest?  Projects of the highest quality?  Group projects?

I think any of the above could work.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: Blizzard on May 31, 2010, 03:41:49 pm
So do I. I don't mind seeing a top quality game that has only 2 hours of gameplay. Imagine that I actually made NW with 2 hours of gameplay with full-fledged Blizz-ABS graphics. I think that project would be worth it.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: winkio on May 31, 2010, 04:30:31 pm
Featured projects: anything that Blizzard likes enough to feature :V:

While that is somewhat sarcastic, it's pretty much true.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: WhiteRose on May 31, 2010, 04:49:46 pm
Hmm... This almost motivates me to pull Doodle Quest off the back burner and get back to work on it. With school coming to a close, I'll have some more free time. Wait, maybe I'll wait until after I've done something for Remexos; with the deadline coming up, someone needs to do some mapping.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: winkio on May 31, 2010, 04:52:26 pm
I think we should just have a set of "recommendations" for what featured projects should have, and if a game developer feels that their game meets enough of them, they can submit it to be featured, and then Blizz+mods can approve or disapprove it.
Title: Re: Featured Projects
Post by: Blizzard on May 31, 2010, 05:16:24 pm
I like that idea. That way everybody is involved, the members, the developers and the staff.
Alright then, people. If you have a recommendation, you know where to post it.

@WhiteRose: If Remexos survives the deadline and people like the first demo, I think Remexos should become a featured project. xD