Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Topic started by: WhiteRose on June 28, 2010, 02:24:28 am

Title: Lossless Audio?
Post by: WhiteRose on June 28, 2010, 02:24:28 am
Sorry, you're probably all sick of me constantly asking questions, but I'd like your opinions on something.

I've recently discovered lossless audio, and quite like it; I can tell the quality difference between a 24-bit FLAC file and the 128-kbps MP3s that comprise most of my music library. However, I've run into a couple problems:

Title: Re: Lossless Audio?
Post by: Diokatsu on June 28, 2010, 09:20:24 am
Use 320kbps mp3s. I think they've got a good enough audio quality to listen to and they're not absurdly space consuming.
Title: Re: Lossless Audio?
Post by: Blizzard on June 28, 2010, 09:46:47 am
320kbps mp3 is mathematically lossless. IMO 192kbps is fine, but you can use 256kbps if it's not enough.
Title: Re: Lossless Audio?
Post by: Diokatsu on June 28, 2010, 09:49:21 am
Quote from: Blizzard on June 28, 2010, 09:46:47 am
320kbps mp3 is mathematically lossless. IMO 192kbps is fine, but you can use 256kbps if it's not enough.


For some reason they don't seem to take up as much space, although I might be wrong. Anyways, 192 is pretty good.
Title: Re: Lossless Audio?
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on June 28, 2010, 10:17:08 am
Well, the thing is, even if there would be a audible difference between lossless and 320 (most of the time, there isn't, unless you have a very bad compressor), you probably would even really hear the difference anyways on mainstream audio hardware. Besides, as far as I'm concerned, the usual downmix bitrate is 192.
So, lossless audio is, most of the time, a waste of harddrive place, unless you want to work with the audio files, like when you are a DJ.
I myself use aac (no clue why, kinda got used to it) with 320 and am happy with it.
Title: Re: Lossless Audio?
Post by: Blizzard on June 28, 2010, 10:31:06 am
I used to do mixdowns on 128, but I've switched a few years ago to 320 since it's supposed to be professional after all.
Title: Re: Lossless Audio?
Post by: WhiteRose on June 28, 2010, 12:24:21 pm
Alright, thanks for your input, everyone. I guess I'll start using 320kbps MP3s. Does anyone know of a good converter that can convert FLAC files to said format?
Title: Re: Lossless Audio?
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on June 28, 2010, 01:11:16 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on June 28, 2010, 10:31:06 am
I used to do mixdowns on 128, but I've switched a few years ago to 320 since it's supposed to be professional after all.

Well, an audio engineer told me once that many professional producers do the final mixdown in 192. I myself do it in 320, too.
Also, there is a converter called "S.U.P.E.R." which converts about every format to every other format. I dunno about the quality, though.
Title: Re: Lossless Audio?
Post by: Blizzard on June 28, 2010, 03:01:34 pm
I've talked with a professional the other day and he also makes electronic music and mixes down to 320 kbps.

@WhiteRose: "Easy CD-DA Extractor" always did it for me.
Title: Re: Lossless Audio?
Post by: WhiteRose on June 28, 2010, 03:18:59 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on June 28, 2010, 03:01:34 pm
I've talked with a professional the other day and he also makes electronic music and mixes down to 320 kbps.

@WhiteRose: "Easy CD-DA Extractor" always did it for me.


Thanks Blizz. I'll look it up.