Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Topic started by: WhiteRose on July 30, 2010, 01:27:41 pm

Title: [RESOLVED] Anyone know anything about Virtualbox?
Post by: WhiteRose on July 30, 2010, 01:27:41 pm
So, I'm trying to install Snow Leopard on a virtual machine so I can use the iPhone SDK. The host is my computer running Windows 7 64-bit. However, whenever I try to enable more than one processor, Virtualbox gives me an error message. I've tried Googling it, and it seems no one has the same issue. Obviously, Snow Leopard won't work well with only one logical processor. I considered creating another partition on my computer on which to install OSX, but I only need it for a single program, so I don't think it's really worth it. Anyway, I tried creating another virtual machine to test things, and it turns out that no matter how I have the system configured, trying to enable more than one processor causes VB to crash. Has anyone else used Virtualbox that has found a work-around?
Title: Re: Anyone know anything about Virtualbox?
Post by: Blizzard on July 30, 2010, 03:36:15 pm
I can ask a few people from work.
Title: Re: Anyone know anything about Virtualbox?
Post by: WhiteRose on July 31, 2010, 02:49:05 am
Quote from: Darth Naughty on July 30, 2010, 03:36:15 pm
I can ask a few people from work.

Thanks! That'd be helpful if there's anyone around your workplace who knows about Virtualbox. It's not that big of an issue, really, so if you can't find out anything, that's all right.
Title: Re: Anyone know anything about Virtualbox?
Post by: Blizzard on July 31, 2010, 03:32:07 am
Alright. Their general reply is that you can find a completely set up Snow Leopard running on VMWare via torrents. None of them really know what you can do. The problem with Mac OSX is that it doesn't run very well on non-Apple hardware and that your only alternative would be to put together a Hackintosh (installing Mac OSX on non-Apple hardware), but that requires a careful selection of hardware components. So probably your best guess would be to torrent the Snow Leopard on VMWare.
Title: Re: Anyone know anything about Virtualbox?
Post by: WhiteRose on July 31, 2010, 11:48:04 am
Quote from: Darth Naughty on July 31, 2010, 03:32:07 am
Alright. Their general reply is that you can find a completely set up Snow Leopard running on VMWare via torrents. None of them really know what you can do. The problem with Mac OSX is that it doesn't run very well on non-Apple hardware and that your only alternative would be to put together a Hackintosh (installing Mac OSX on non-Apple hardware), but that requires a careful selection of hardware components. So probably your best guess would be to torrent the Snow Leopard on VMWare.

Okay. Thanks for the help. As it happens, I actually am using a Snow Leopard disc from torrents that has been modified to run on non-Apple hardware. I think it's VB that's the problem, as the problem is consistent even when I try it when a different distro - even one that should run fine on my system, such as Windows XP. Still, thanks; I'm sure I'll get this sorted out soon. In the meantime, things are running alright, actually, but they're just a bit slow. Considering that I only need to run one program, I can just deal with it. :)
Title: Re: Anyone know anything about Virtualbox?
Post by: Blizzard on July 31, 2010, 03:11:12 pm
Try VMWare then. You might also get lucky with Virtual PC. It's likely that your VM is the actual problem. xD
Title: Re: Anyone know anything about Virtualbox?
Post by: WhiteRose on July 31, 2010, 04:12:47 pm
Quote from: Darth Naughty on July 31, 2010, 03:11:12 pm
Try VMWare then. You might also get lucky with Virtual PC. It's likely that your VM is the actual problem. xD


Probably so. I'll try a few other programs and see how it works out.
Title: Re: Anyone know anything about Virtualbox?
Post by: tSwitch on August 12, 2010, 09:32:47 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on July 31, 2010, 03:32:07 am
Alright. Their general reply is that you can find a completely set up Snow Leopard running on VMWare via torrents. None of them really know what you can do. The problem with Mac OSX is that it doesn't run very well on non-Apple hardware and that your only alternative would be to put together a Hackintosh (installing Mac OSX on non-Apple hardware), but that requires a careful selection of hardware components. So probably your best guess would be to torrent the Snow Leopard on VMWare.


going to go ahead and bump this because I'm trying to accomplish the same thing, and the VMWare solution intrigues me (since I was going to try and use a retail snow leopard disc with virtualbox)

did this ever get working?
is the link floating around at all?
Title: Re: Anyone know anything about Virtualbox?
Post by: WhiteRose on August 12, 2010, 09:38:39 pm
Quote from: NAMKCOR on August 12, 2010, 09:32:47 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on July 31, 2010, 03:32:07 am
Alright. Their general reply is that you can find a completely set up Snow Leopard running on VMWare via torrents. None of them really know what you can do. The problem with Mac OSX is that it doesn't run very well on non-Apple hardware and that your only alternative would be to put together a Hackintosh (installing Mac OSX on non-Apple hardware), but that requires a careful selection of hardware components. So probably your best guess would be to torrent the Snow Leopard on VMWare.


going to go ahead and bump this because I'm trying to accomplish the same thing, and the VMWare solution intrigues me (since I was going to try and use a retail snow leopard disc with virtualbox)

did this ever get working?
is the link floating around at all?


I "acquired" VMWare and gave it a go, and got the following error message: "Mac OS X does not run on systems that do not support software virtualization," or something to that extent. Anyway, I looked up the problem, and it would appear that my model of laptop (the M17x,) has an issue with this, and that the virtualization must be enabled in the BIOS. However, there's no option in the BIOS to enable it. It appears that there's a whole slow of people in the same boat, as this means that even the Microsoft-created Windows XP Mode that comes with many version of Windows 7 will not run, along with any type of virtual machine that uses more than a single processor, and even then, there are many issues rendering it not a reasonable solution. Perhaps it's time Dell released a BIOS update. NAMK, if you're running a different system, I think you won't have too much trouble. I've been following this guide: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-os-x-snow-leopard-in-vmware-windows-7-9140301/

Many users seem to be having issues, but the majority have been able to get the system up and running. Good luck!
Title: Re: Anyone know anything about Virtualbox?
Post by: tSwitch on August 12, 2010, 09:40:06 pm
I'll have to check my BIOS then, I know my old HP supported hardware virtualization, I'll have to check this Toshiba.
Title: Re: Anyone know anything about Virtualbox?
Post by: WhiteRose on August 17, 2010, 07:56:46 pm
Just an update if anyone is still keeping tabs on this topic: just a day or so after I lasted posted, Dell did indeed release a BIOS update that allows for Software Virtualization to be enabled and disabled in the BIOS as it should be. I enabled it, and everything went swimmingly after that. OSX runs perfectly in both Virtualbox and VMWare. I'll go ahead and mark this topic as resolved.