Chaos Project

RPG Maker => General Discussion => Topic started by: tmrevolver on September 03, 2010, 03:46:53 pm

Title: Char Set Critique
Post by: tmrevolver on September 03, 2010, 03:46:53 pm
Hello everyone.
A while back I wanted a Char set for this magnificent fellow.
(http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2674/012ty.png)

After some searching, I found that none exested(or if they did, noone was sharing, jerks)
So I just went ahead and made my own.
Behold!

(http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6603/captains.png)

Its not perfect, but I think I did a pretty good job for an amateur. Let me know if you like it.
Title: Re: Char Set Critique
Post by: Calintz on September 03, 2010, 08:04:10 pm
Well...if you look at your battler here you will notice that the main emphasis is placed on his hair and his feather. Or at least it is in my eyes. That is what catches my attention. The wealth of curl in his hair and the large nature of the feather and the fact that it's appears as though there are actually two feathers, not one, stands out to me. That said...if I were creating this charaset that too is where I would place my emphasis.

Now I'll try to help where I can...

Head
Enlarge and double up the feather. Add a yellow tint to the feather.
Remaster the hair. Drop it to his butt and add some curls. Go into depth with the shading. At least five shades. One base color. One lighter than base, and three darker than base colors works well in monotone shading.

Body
Give him those wicked shoulder pads. Remove the white padding between his legs. In the battler his shirt goes beneath the belt line.

That's about all I have right now for you.
All in all I think you did a fantastic job for a beginner.
Title: Re: Char Set Critique
Post by: tmrevolver on September 04, 2010, 02:23:13 pm
I wanted to do shoulder pads, actually, I just couldn't really find a way to cram them in.
It also occurred to me that I made his hat way too big.

I think my mistake was going with a human size sprite. I think I should start over with something a bit larger. That would let me get in more of the details I want.
Title: Re: Char Set Critique
Post by: Calintz on September 04, 2010, 07:47:02 pm
I could go either way on that response...I don't feel like it's "necessary" to use a larger sprite, but it that puts you into a higher level of comfort do it, because your final product will be better.