Chaos Project

General => Chat => Topic started by: Blizzard on February 02, 2011, 06:26:28 am

Title: Re: ou
Post by: Blizzard on February 02, 2011, 06:26:28 am
Quote from: topic titleNeed a favour


You British or something? :V
Meh, I'm just being an ass. Because of a naming inconsistency between color and colour in Ogre we've had a few problems so I hate it when I see the British way of writing it with ou instead of just o. D:
Title: Re: ou
Post by: The Niche on February 02, 2011, 02:26:32 pm
Irish. I just prefer spelling that way :L. (Protip: Do not get PHM started on ou and o. You will never be able to look at either spelling again without shuddering)
Title: Re: ou
Post by: Ryex on February 05, 2011, 04:40:56 am
just want to say that phonetically ou doesn't make any sense. I think the euro branch of the English language is stupid for all it little misspellings that don't make phonetic sense. (btw if this conversations continues I vote it be split into academics)
Title: Re: ou
Post by: Futendra on February 05, 2011, 08:34:57 am
Quote from: The Niche on February 05, 2011, 08:31:33 am
Then scroll down. @Ryex: Phonetically a lot of things don't make sense. However, a quick question. Pedobear or Paedobear?


Im not dumb, I see 3 swords and alot of lines that I cant seem to explain what it is...
Title: Re: ou
Post by: Ryex on February 07, 2011, 02:47:56 am
Quote from: The Niche on February 05, 2011, 08:31:33 am
Then scroll down. @Ryex: Phonetically a lot of things don't make sense. However, a quick question. Pedobear or Paedobear?
Pedobear
Title: Re: ou
Post by: The Niche on February 07, 2011, 05:40:07 am
And I'm guessing you'd spell it that way because that's how it was originally spelt, despite the fact that that means foot fet!sh bear. Ou is the original spelling.

@Futendra: I'll upload the image in landscape.
Title: Re: ou
Post by: Power Hungry Midget on March 01, 2011, 04:59:01 pm
Quote from: Ryex on February 05, 2011, 04:40:56 am
just want to say that phonetically ou doesn't make any sense. I think the euro branch of the English language is stupid for all it little misspellings that don't make phonetic sense. (btw if this conversations continues I vote it be split into academics)

WHAT?!?!? If it's without the ou then it sounds retarded. It's a cull-ore not a co-laur. It's On-er not hone-or. DAMN YOU AMERICANS. Changing it to o is leading to the eventual downfall of the English language. It's now acceptable to put a z in -ise instead of the s, in Ireland. We're all doomed. Next we'll be talking like cavemen. The end is nigh. Spell your words properly while you can. I'm going to go cut myself while screaming at my Oxford dictionary.
Title: Re: ou
Post by: Ryex on March 01, 2011, 06:52:26 pm
Quote from: Power Hungry Midget on March 01, 2011, 04:59:01 pm
Quote from: Ryex on February 05, 2011, 04:40:56 am
just want to say that phonetically ou doesn't make any sense. I think the euro branch of the English language is stupid for all it little misspellings that don't make phonetic sense. (btw if this conversations continues I vote it be split into academics)

WHAT?!?!? If it's without the ou then it sounds retarded. It's a cull-ore not a co-laur. It's On-er not hone-or. DAMN YOU AMERICANS. Changing it to o is leading to the eventual downfall of the English language. It's now acceptable to put a z in -ise instead of the s, in Ireland. We're all doomed. Next we'll be talking like cavemen. The end is nigh. Spell your words properly while you can. I'm going to go cut myself while screaming at my Oxford dictionary.

wrong:

cull-ore phonetically is color.
On-er phonetically is honer.

also language is by nature plastic if it dose not change with the people then language will just branch off and the old language will die.

(split into debate time?)
Title: Re: ou
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on March 01, 2011, 07:13:22 pm
Quote from: Ryex on March 01, 2011, 06:52:26 pm
On-er phonetically is honer.

Except it's not spelled honer in either american or british english. Also, I prefer the british spelling, just for the way it looks.. let's say, it looks more natural to me, and I can write it more fluently. Also, I have a fetish for british and irish (especially irish) accents. :V
What you all should accept though, is that there are two spellings for those words, and that both are completely right. There's no sense in argueing over that.
Title: Re: ou
Post by: winkio on March 01, 2011, 07:20:22 pm
I don't care how you spell it, even if you spell it wrong.  I just want to say that -ou- makes me think of 'gout' 'pouch' and 'couch', which all have that weird sound that for all i know is represented phonetically by 'aouw'
Title: Re: ou
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on March 01, 2011, 07:22:59 pm
Quote from: winkio on March 01, 2011, 07:20:22 pm
I don't care how you spell it, even if you spell it wrong.  I just want to say that -ou- makes me think of 'gout' 'pouch' and 'couch', which all have that weird sound that for all i know is represented phonetically by 'aouw'

Well, naturally. You're american.
Title: Re: ou
Post by: winkio on March 01, 2011, 07:27:48 pm
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on March 01, 2011, 07:22:59 pm
Quote from: winkio on March 01, 2011, 07:20:22 pm
I don't care how you spell it, even if you spell it wrong.  I just want to say that -ou- makes me think of 'gout' 'pouch' and 'couch', which all have that weird sound that for all i know is represented phonetically by 'aouw'

Well, naturally. You're american.

Hooray!

EDIT: Oh wait sorry were you trying to make a point?  It seemed like we were just stating the obvious...
Title: Re: ou
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on March 01, 2011, 07:35:53 pm
Quote from: winkio on March 01, 2011, 07:27:48 pm
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on March 01, 2011, 07:22:59 pm
Quote from: winkio on March 01, 2011, 07:20:22 pm
I don't care how you spell it, even if you spell it wrong.  I just want to say that -ou- makes me think of 'gout' 'pouch' and 'couch', which all have that weird sound that for all i know is represented phonetically by 'aouw'

Well, naturally. You're american.

Hooray!

EDIT: Oh wait sorry were you trying to make a point?  It seemed like we were just stating the obvious...

I was stating the obvious. I was not arguing, I was just saying that naturally it would seem weird to you if you were raised with a different usage of "ou".
Title: Re: ou
Post by: winkio on March 01, 2011, 07:36:21 pm
okay cool.  *splits topic*