Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Topic started by: PhoenixFire on April 04, 2011, 10:44:35 am

Title: Ubuntu users?
Post by: PhoenixFire on April 04, 2011, 10:44:35 am
So, does anyone on this forum use a Ubuntu platform? I personally use it as an alternative to my WinXP-BE install, and it serves well. It's also a really good way to see how easily you could port your games over to Linux-based systems. For those who are skeptical, it has a compatibility layer called WINE, although I can't remember what it stands for.. It allows you to take your windows .exe files, and run them on your Ubuntu system.
Title: Re: Ubuntu users?
Post by: Blizzard on April 04, 2011, 10:55:00 am
WINE Is Not an Emulator.
Title: Re: Ubuntu users?
Post by: WhiteRose on April 04, 2011, 10:59:36 am
I have an Ubuntu partition. I use it more frequently than my Windows partition, as a matter of fact. I'm a little skeptical of the UI change in 11.04, but I think I'll get used to it.
Title: Re: Ubuntu users?
Post by: PhoenixFire on April 04, 2011, 12:25:50 pm
@Blizzard: Thanks! I had completely forgotten it was such a simple acronym.. I've had scripts running through my head the past month, so it's no wonder something so simple didn't register in my head.. haha..

@Rose: Ah, yeah, same here with the UI change. Not too fond of it, but, just so you know, it's okay. I know it's still beta, so I don't expect too much, but even still, I think they should have just done what they always do, and just did upgrades and changes to the 10.x series, not a full on re-haul.

Title: Re: Ubuntu users?
Post by: ForeverZer0 on April 04, 2011, 05:34:46 pm
I have an Ubuntu partition, and an Ubuntu virtual machine for VMware. This makes it nice because VMware integrates into Virtual Studio, and you can simply launch debugging from it straight into a Linux or Mac environment without having to reboot in different partitions. 
Title: Re: Ubuntu users?
Post by: G_G on April 05, 2011, 12:27:59 am
Wanna know whats cool? ARC Editor and games should be able to run on linux.
Title: Re: Ubuntu users?
Post by: Ryex on April 05, 2011, 12:52:56 am
I have kubuntu partition on my external and a vm of ubuntu...
Title: Re: Ubuntu users?
Post by: PhoenixFire on April 05, 2011, 09:41:14 am
@game_guy: cool beans!! I think I might be trying that out when I get the chance to.