Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Programming / Scripting / Web => Topic started by: PhoenixFire on April 07, 2011, 01:27:06 pm

Title: Some thoughts and ideas?
Post by: PhoenixFire on April 07, 2011, 01:27:06 pm
As most people on here know, I have my own forum, kinda like a sister site to CP, but there's a few things I need some advice about, and, I figured this may be a place to ask... I also use SMF software for the forums, but, I haven't been able to figure out certain things about it, like how CP has a main home page, and, a separate forums page? I have the main page option, but it brings you straight to the forums... Would it be wise to switch servers, and just use SMF as a separate installed extension, or, is there a way to manipulate the software? I'm using freesmf.net as my server atm.. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, etc?
Title: Re: Some thoughts and ideas?
Post by: Blizzard on April 07, 2011, 01:44:30 pm
The main page and the forum are actually separate. The main page merely has a link to the forum and vice versa. CP doesn't use the default SMF package but a modified one. I did those modifications and I incorporated the chat as well as the shoutbox and some other small stuff which is unique to CP.

The main page uses the Joomla CMS and that's basically it. I coded the Script Database Index using Joomla's framework and accessing the forum's database (instead of using Joomla's database). Basically those two are independent, but I merged them together. I tell you it was not easy.
Title: Re: Some thoughts and ideas?
Post by: PhoenixFire on April 07, 2011, 01:49:14 pm
Oh-damn...  :'(
Title: Re: Some thoughts and ideas?
Post by: Blizzard on April 07, 2011, 02:30:49 pm
But that's just CP. You shouldn't have much problems installing Joomla on another subdomain and simply linking to your forum. Only the HOME link back to the homepage *points to the top menu* will require a little bit of PHP coding.
Title: Re: Some thoughts and ideas?
Post by: PhoenixFire on April 07, 2011, 02:55:59 pm
Ah, okay then.. Now I just have to find a joomla site, install the smf software into it, and, make sure it's all compatible and not blocked by work...
Title: Re: Some thoughts and ideas?
Post by: nathmatt on April 07, 2011, 02:58:28 pm
bottom of cp's home page
Title: Re: Some thoughts and ideas?
Post by: Blizzard on April 07, 2011, 03:00:35 pm
And you should install them separately. Joomla and SMF don't really work well together.