Chaos Project

General => Chat => Express your Creativity => Topic started by: Futendra on April 14, 2011, 04:44:19 am

Title: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Futendra on April 14, 2011, 04:44:19 am
Hi, since last time I started experimenting alot more with my fl studio 9 and 3400 samples, this is what came out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N76GcUlAceU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N76GcUlAceU)

Comment & Rate <33


Advice is welcome <3
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Entity3 on April 14, 2011, 05:23:54 am
lol
Sorry, but this isn't too good at all. The bass drop is practically nonexistant, the wobble repetive and annoying and the drums don't support the track at all.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Start out with easy drumbeats, don't instantly try to make extraordinary ones (because you'll fail, as we can hear here). While the wobble is usually fast-paced, the drums are halftime in dubstep, meaning that you got a downbeat only on the 1. Keep that in mind.
2. Don't just let the wobble play all over the place, but come up with a concept phrase that you can vary - if you listen closely, alot of dubstep is like that.
3. For gods sake, fill that mix up. Dubstep shouldn't just be drums and a thin wobble. Get a better wobble sound (use Native Instruments MASSIVE, it's commonly known as the best bass plugin there is), some new drum samples (have two bassdrums - one deep one with alot of bass pressure and a higher, punchy one) and add some texture / ambience.
4. Vary the wobble not only by speed, but also by filter type, LFO waveform etc. Experiment and don't just follow the standarts.
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Futendra on April 14, 2011, 07:08:02 am
Quote from: Entity3 on April 14, 2011, 05:23:54 am
lol
Sorry, but this isn't too good at all. The bass drop is practically nonexistant, the wobble repetive and annoying and the drums don't support the track at all.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Start out with easy drumbeats, don't instantly try to make extraordinary ones (because you'll fail, as we can hear here). While the wobble is usually fast-paced, the drums are halftime in dubstep, meaning that you got a downbeat only on the 1. Keep that in mind.
2. Don't just let the wobble play all over the place, but come up with a concept phrase that you can vary - if you listen closely, alot of dubstep is like that.
3. For gods sake, fill that mix up. Dubstep shouldn't just be drums and a thin wobble. Get a better wobble sound (use Native Instruments MASSIVE, it's commonly known as the best bass plugin there is), some new drum samples (have two bassdrums - one deep one with alot of bass pressure and a higher, punchy one) and add some texture / ambience.
4. Vary the wobble not only by speed, but also by filter type, LFO waveform etc. Experiment and don't just follow the standarts.
thx for the comment and here I come:
massive costs, even how hard I want it, I just can't get it... I also know that my variations suck, I work on it alot but I think I'm kinda scared for big variations, this track has over 10 variations but almost not able to hear them, and about the filters, I dunno how to use them. Greetz x
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Entity3 on April 14, 2011, 07:56:25 am
Then fuckin learn. Practise. Music needs devotion.
By the way, you can download Massive.
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Futendra on April 14, 2011, 01:25:20 pm
Quote from: Entity3 on April 14, 2011, 07:56:25 am
Then fuckin learn. Practise. Music needs devotion.
By the way, you can download Massive.


can you pm me a link??

And I am learning it but without any teaching it aint easy xd
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Futendra on April 16, 2011, 07:09:16 am
Quote from: Entity3 on April 14, 2011, 05:23:54 am
lol
Sorry, but this isn't too good at all. The bass drop is practically nonexistant, the wobble repetive and annoying and the drums don't support the track at all.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Start out with easy drumbeats, don't instantly try to make extraordinary ones (because you'll fail, as we can hear here). While the wobble is usually fast-paced, the drums are halftime in dubstep, meaning that you got a downbeat only on the 1. Keep that in mind.
2. Don't just let the wobble play all over the place, but come up with a concept phrase that you can vary - if you listen closely, alot of dubstep is like that.
3. For gods sake, fill that mix up. Dubstep shouldn't just be drums and a thin wobble. Get a better wobble sound (use Native Instruments MASSIVE, it's commonly known as the best bass plugin there is), some new drum samples (have two bassdrums - one deep one with alot of bass pressure and a higher, punchy one) and add some texture / ambience.
4. Vary the wobble not only by speed, but also by filter type, LFO waveform etc. Experiment and don't just follow the standarts.


I followed your advice alot: check it now http://soundcloud.com/futendra/untitled-dubsep-project
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Entity3 on April 16, 2011, 09:54:32 am
Still not great, but there's an improvement there - finally there's actually some kind of bass drop in there, even though it sounds pretty uncoordinated - so your next goal should be giving it kore structure, making it sound coordinated and improving the bass sounds. Keep it up.

Besides, I talked to someone lately who has personal contact to bassnectar, Skrillex and Boregore, and he told me that often you don't actually program the basslines in midi - you try out until you find an interesting sound and then export one note of it as a wave file - then you trigger these waves with a sampler. That makes creating complex bass lines easier because you don't have to have multiple softsynths running simultaniously.

Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Futendra on April 16, 2011, 01:24:30 pm
Quote from: Entity3 on April 16, 2011, 09:54:32 am
Still not great, but there's an improvement there - finally there's actually some kind of bass drop in there, even though it sounds pretty uncoordinated - so your next goal should be giving it kore structure, making it sound coordinated and improving the bass sounds. Keep it up.

Besides, I talked to someone lately who has personal contact to bassnectar, Skrillex and Boregore, and he told me that often you don't actually program the basslines in midi - you try out until you find an interesting sound and then export one note of it as a wave file - then you trigger these waves with a sampler. That makes creating complex bass lines easier because you don't have to have multiple softsynths running simultaniously.



Well I think it will be kind of repetitive, and I know Eptic personally, hes on my school and told me you should make the bass insanely hard so you vibrate, and put a high pitched wobble above it, giving it a nice effect, I did this in some projects I never saved really, and I just did it with my song now, and Im uploading it soon!


EDIT: Here you go: http://soundcloud.com/futendra/untitled-dubsep-project-2-1 Still have to edit it so there are sharp noises too
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Entity3 on April 16, 2011, 02:31:21 pm
I can't listen to that now, but.. did you just call Bassnectar and Skrillex repetive? Seriously, do you know how many possible combinations there are with just 10 samples? Then imagine the same with about 25 samples...  :facepalm:
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Futendra on April 16, 2011, 02:52:54 pm
Quote from: Entity3 on April 16, 2011, 02:31:21 pm
I can't listen to that now, but.. did you just call Bassnectar and Skrillex repetive? Seriously, do you know how many possible combinations there are with just 10 samples? Then imagine the same with about 25 samples...  :facepalm:


Nono not them, I mean if I should make it like that and put it into a Wav then import it again, then I would make it repetive
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Entity3 on April 16, 2011, 04:28:42 pm
Quote from: Futendra on April 16, 2011, 02:52:54 pm
Quote from: Entity3 on April 16, 2011, 02:31:21 pm
I can't listen to that now, but.. did you just call Bassnectar and Skrillex repetive? Seriously, do you know how many possible combinations there are with just 10 samples? Then imagine the same with about 25 samples...  :facepalm:


Nono not them, I mean if I should make it like that and put it into a Wav then import it again, then I would make it repetive

Well, that's the way they do it.. at least skrillex definitely does. :facepalm:
I think you don't understand it. You don't put the whole basslines into waves, but single notes / sounds..
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Futendra on April 17, 2011, 03:40:10 am
Quote from: Entity3 on April 16, 2011, 04:28:42 pm
Quote from: Futendra on April 16, 2011, 02:52:54 pm
Quote from: Entity3 on April 16, 2011, 02:31:21 pm
I can't listen to that now, but.. did you just call Bassnectar and Skrillex repetive? Seriously, do you know how many possible combinations there are with just 10 samples? Then imagine the same with about 25 samples...  :facepalm:


Nono not them, I mean if I should make it like that and put it into a Wav then import it again, then I would make it repetive

Well, that's the way they do it.. at least skrillex definitely does. :facepalm:
I think you don't understand it. You don't put the whole basslines into waves, but single notes / sounds..


Oh I get it and then you make every single wobble, and no long notes with cuts ;)

I get it :D
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Futendra on April 23, 2011, 06:55:21 am
Result: http://soundcloud.com/futendra/futendra-time-to-get-grimy
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Ryex on April 23, 2011, 10:00:24 am
impressive improvement. If I was making it I'd say the only thing missing is a really strong sound that resonates with the wobbles to bring out a core in the music.

you have tones of these speaker flapping wobbles the fill the room but they sound hollow without something to accompany them.

when I listen to music my brain dose something weird and I can really see a shape take form in my mind. and I can really feel the mood of a sound. wobbles create this sort of huge wavy tube that surround a melody and resonate with it. but here the melody isn't there (or at least not in a recognizable form for me) so the music feels hollow.

stop if you feel satisfied, it's tour art after all, but if you feel the same thing I do keep working on it. you'll get something great down eventually :)
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Futendra on April 23, 2011, 11:38:03 am
Quote from: Ryex on April 23, 2011, 10:00:24 am
impressive improvement. If I was making it I'd say the only thing missing is a really strong sound that resonates with the wobbles to bring out a core in the music.

you have tones of these speaker flapping wobbles the fill the room but they sound hollow without something to accompany them.

when I listen to music my brain dose something weird and I can really see a shape take form in my mind. and I can really feel the mood of a sound. wobbles create this sort of huge wavy tube that surround a melody and resonate with it. but here the melody isn't there (or at least not in a recognizable form for me) so the music feels hollow.

stop if you feel satisfied, it's tour art after all, but if you feel the same thing I do keep working on it. you'll get something great down eventually :)


Thanks! I heard form a couple of people now that it sounds somewhat missing and I'm going to search a good sound that can work underneath it ;)


Edit: I know melodies break up the silence of non bass if not having a subwoofer...

Edit2: How about some echoing bell noise that keeps changing in highness and in the bass parts gettign really deep?


SUPER EDIT:
I improved the Intro and added more bass in the drums, also tried out the melody thingy...

Which one is the best?

1) V2 http://soundcloud.com/futendra/futendra-time-to-get-grimey-v2   <no background noises>
2) V2.1 http://soundcloud.com/futendra/futendra-time-to-get-grimey  <background noises>
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Futendra on May 15, 2011, 08:59:28 am
http://soundcloud.com/futendra/futendra-woman-rights

background noises hell ya!
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on May 15, 2011, 09:43:46 am
Quote from: Futendra on May 15, 2011, 08:59:28 am
http://soundcloud.com/futendra/futendra-woman-rights

http://soundcloud.com/ksciaa/autark-demo-loop-dubstep-meets
Do something creative with your dub.
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Futendra on May 15, 2011, 09:56:14 am
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on May 15, 2011, 09:43:46 am
Quote from: Futendra on May 15, 2011, 08:59:28 am
http://soundcloud.com/futendra/futendra-woman-rights

http://soundcloud.com/ksciaa/autark-demo-loop-dubstep-meets
Do something creative with your dub.

huh? don't get why you put that link with it?
Title: Re: Futendra (dubstep)
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on May 15, 2011, 09:57:23 am
I was trying to inspire you to, you know, not just follow the guidlines of what thousands of people did before, but think out of the box.