Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Topic started by: GAX on April 29, 2008, 02:25:39 am

Title: Corrupted Downloads/Failing Installers
Post by: GAX on April 29, 2008, 02:25:39 am
Okay, this is becoming a long-standing pissoff.

For the past few months, many downloads have been failing (they're installers who don't work), also my antivirus acts up and breaks.  I have three theories to why this is happenning.
1 - Damaged Motherboard (Can't be the Hard Drive, just bought a 500GB SATA drive and a fresh copy of XP)
2 - Damaged Wireless Card:  I'll put it simple, this thing is fucking ancient, I've used it for 3 computers so far and I got it used from my buddy and his dad.
3 - Damaged Modem:  I connect through my neighbor's modem, no one else's, I don't use my dad's because I don't want to kill his connection AND I don't want him to be able to shut me down.

What do you think is most likely?  Any other ideas of what can be going on?
Title: Re: Corrupted Downloads/Failing Installers
Post by: shdwlink1993 on April 29, 2008, 04:03:00 am
Quote3 - Damaged Modem:  I connect through my neighbor's modem, no one else's, I don't use my dad's because I don't want to kill his connection AND I don't want him to be able to shut me down.


Well, given my intimate knowledge of using this method of connecting to the internet ::), I wouldn't be surprised if it was the problem. My guess (or at least my problem) is that the connection isn't very good between your computer and it. I can't download any .exe files on this, I have to use the school's computers (thank heaven they haven't blocked sendspace... yet.). That's my guess.
Title: Re: Corrupted Downloads/Failing Installers
Post by: Blizzard on April 29, 2008, 07:03:51 am
Modem... This is generally a problematic way to connect to the internet. Especially bigger downloads tend to get corrupted. =/