I found some articles reguarding some interesting stuff. You can finally use custom fonts without the viewers having the fonts installed. I thought I'd share it with all of you guys since its so orgasmtastic.
Read this:
http://www.howtoplaza.com/how-to-use-custom-fonts-on-your-website-with-css
Then read this: Don't use the example from the above link. This has an example on how to make one rule work with all browsers. It also mentions that you need to use EOT fonts for internet explorer. The last link does everything for you.
http://symphony-of-dot-net.blogspot.com/2010/03/making-css-custom-font-works-with-ie.html
Then use this to convert ttf fonts to eot (eot fonts are used for internet explorer)
http://www.kirsle.net/wizards/ttf2eot.cgi
EDIT: Heres an example file I setup.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/iwhj04
Extract and open index.php in your web browser.
The problem with doing this is that it increases the loading time. And only modern browsers are compatible without using javascript workarounds. I'm glad this method exists, but it'll be a few years before the majority of web users will be able to see our custom fonts (a pretty big share of internet users use old outdated browsers. Thankfully IE is on a rapid decline in use)
Yea...one of my grandmas older computers (xp laptop) only has IE 6 I think. As long as the browser supports CSS2 and the developer of the website defines an EOT font for I.E. and a font for the other browsers, you'll be able to see it. most computers now have IE 8 or 9 (as in most new computers) so it'll work just fine. But yea I totally agree with you.
IE9 is actually quite decent. IE will experience a rise in usage, but this will take a while because of the bad reputation.
Either way, I'm sure this method has been around for a bit and now I'm mad at my web teacher for not letting me use the font I wanted >:U My sites done and graded already. Meh.
It's been awhile since I read up on CSS (web design was my job for awhile, before my employer decided to have me retrained as a marketer :O.o: ), but I'm pretty sure external font files are a CSS3 thing. But I'm probably confusing that with SVG fonts.
@Blizz, I'm pretty sure IE9 STILL doesn't support min/max width. Now for a fixed width, there's no problem. But if you like "elastic" web design (where it's scalable, but you put limiters on the sizes of certain things just to keep it looking pretty on huge or tiny monitors) as much as I do (90% of my web layouts have been elastic), it's REALLY annoying. You have to use workarounds just to get IE to have a feature EVERY other browser has.
Though to be fair, Microsoft is finally making their browser decent. I'm glad. I just have gripes with IE6 and IE7. IE8 wasn't THAT bad unless you were doing fancy things. I'm glad they're taking steps to improve the default browser of the web :P
*opens CP in IE9* Min width works just fine.