Chaos Project

General => Electronic and Computer Section => Topic started by: mroedesigns on June 13, 2011, 10:30:17 pm

Title: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: mroedesigns on June 13, 2011, 10:30:17 pm
I have an ACER laptop that's all kinds of jacked up apparently. I went to start it, and it says there's no boot file, nothing to boot on. I tried entering the BIOS to boot of a USB drive (no disc drive), but the only boot option I have is Boot from Network, which I have never done before, so I don't know how it works.

I tried hitting network boot and booting off a usb drive but that didn't work either.
Any ideas?
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: WhiteRose on June 13, 2011, 10:32:40 pm
It sounds like the BIOS is messed up. When did the computer start acting like this?
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: mroedesigns on June 13, 2011, 10:45:25 pm
Today. Worked fine last time I used it. I'm assuming it got dropped or something and nobody wants to tell me  :roll:
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: ForeverZer0 on June 13, 2011, 10:46:24 pm
Download Ubuntu and burn a Live CD and boot off that. From there you can actually get into the file system and see whats going on and make any needed repairs. The USB boot will only work if your motherboard supports it, which most modern PCs will, but burning a disc image is much easier than creating a bootable USB. You have to format it in FAT and also partition a bootable sector on it. The Live CD is much easier, simply burn the image on the disc and pop it in, select the disc drive as first in the boot order and fire it up.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: mroedesigns on June 13, 2011, 11:00:42 pm
I don't have a disc drive like I said, that's why I was trying the USB. And I do have ubuntu, that's what I'm running. That's what I used to make the live USB
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: WhiteRose on June 13, 2011, 11:03:27 pm
Quote from: ForeverZer0 on June 13, 2011, 10:46:24 pm
Download Ubuntu and burn a Live CD and boot off that. From there you can actually get into the file system and see whats going on and make any needed repairs. The USB boot will only work if your motherboard supports it, which most modern PCs will, but burning a disc image is much easier than creating a bootable USB. You have to format it in FAT and also partition a bootable sector on it. The Live CD is much easier, simply burn the image on the disc and pop it in, select the disc drive as first in the boot order and fire it up.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download


He said that he's unable to boot into anything except Boot from Network, which leads me to believe it's a problem with the BIOS.

If you didn't flash the BIOS or anything like that recently, the only thing I could think of that would be causing an issue like this would be a broken motherboard.
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: mroedesigns on June 13, 2011, 11:11:35 pm
 :O.o:

I sure as hell hope not.

If that's it, short of taking it apart, would there be any way to confirm that?
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: WhiteRose on June 13, 2011, 11:25:18 pm
Quote from: mroedesigns on June 13, 2011, 11:11:35 pm
:O.o:

I sure as hell hope not.

If that's it, short of taking it apart, would there be any way to confirm that?


I would say to listen to the POST beeps, but I don't think laptops beep during POST testing anyway. Come to think of it, I'm not sure newer desktops beep during POST testing either. Maybe my knowledge is just outdated. Depressing, considering I'm still in school learning it.
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: mroedesigns on June 13, 2011, 11:30:06 pm
I don't think mine did. Even before when it was working fine I don't remember it beeping like it went through POST, and there's no beeping now.
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: ForeverZer0 on June 13, 2011, 11:55:57 pm
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742501.aspx

For Windows 2000, but XP and it are pretty much the same when it comes to this. Sorry about stupid response in previous post, after I read yours a second time, I realized I missed some vital info in there... :P
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: G_G on June 14, 2011, 12:08:42 am
Who's failing now. >:U
Quote from: ForeverZer0 on May 10, 2011, 07:30:12 pm
Quote from: Pedomon on May 10, 2011, 07:11:54 pm
I found a very informative post. It tells you how to get up to 20 GB (actually 19 GB since on of the offers has expired).

http://maxyourdropbox.blogspot.com/

Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: ForeverZer0 on June 14, 2011, 12:17:00 am
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was the "Act like Another User" thread. I was going for the double fail of posting in the wrong topic. I thought I did you petty well. Your turn. :V:
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: mroedesigns on June 14, 2011, 12:30:46 am
So I finally got it to boot from usb.. but I'm pretty sure the hard drive is broken. Hence the BOOT.INI issue. My ubuntu installer is telling me I dont even have 4.5g of free space  :'(
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: Blizzard on June 14, 2011, 03:41:09 am
If you are running Windows XP:
Put your Windows CD into the drive, make sure to run the installation. After some time a screen should appear that will offer you to install Windows XP, open the repair console or abort. Open the repair console and once you are inside, enter "chksdk /p". After it is done, enter "fixboot". Finally enter "exit". After the reboot, it should work. If it didn't work, repeat everything until you get into the recovery console. This time type "chkdsk /r" and after it is done "exit". Be aware that chkdsk (especially with /r) will most probably some time to scan and fix your HDD.

I'm not entirely sure how it works in Windows 7, but I'm pretty sure it's very similar to get into the recovery console.
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: mroedesigns on June 14, 2011, 03:44:48 am
Quote from: mroedesigns on June 13, 2011, 10:30:17 pm(no disc drive)
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: Blizzard on June 14, 2011, 03:55:31 am
._.
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: mroedesigns on June 14, 2011, 04:01:33 am
bahaha, thanks tho bliz! I'm pretty sure the HD is broken.. finally got it to boot off USB, and my ubuntu installer says there's not enough room.. min requirement is 4.5g  :O.o:
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: G_G on June 14, 2011, 04:04:40 am
I know taking apart laptops is kinda messy, but maybe what happened is the cord that hooks the HDD to the motherboard (or whatever part, not too smart hardware wise) is loose. That happened a once to my old desktop. Dunno how but the cord was loose, I just plugged it back in and wa-la. ._. Though I remember now that the error was "No bootable media drive" or something like that. D:
Title: Re: Acer Laptop - no BOOT.ini, network boot ONLY
Post by: mroedesigns on June 14, 2011, 04:07:55 am
Hmm.. That could be too, i didn't even think about that. But I don't know much about taking laptops apart... anyone have an offhand guide to taking apart an acer aspireone? haha