Chaos Project

Community => News / Suggestions / Feedback => Topic started by: Blizzard on June 19, 2011, 11:52:06 am

Title: Asking for a ban
Post by: Blizzard on June 19, 2011, 11:52:06 am
Due to recent events winkio and me have decided that if somebody is intentionally seeking a ban, depending on the severity of violation of the rules, the ban will be one month or more. Permanent bans are not excluded in this case. I don't understand why getting banned is supposed to be fun. If you don't want to visit the forum, don't do it. If you can't help yourself, send the staff a PM and ask for a ban. We'll help you stay away if you feel that it is somehow being bad for you whatever your circumstances are. But if you want to have some fun, start flaming somebody just to get banned and thinking that it was totally worth it, think again. This time you are risking bans of one month and more. Keep in mind that the longest definite ban so far was 2 months. Every other kind of ban that was handed out was permanent.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: winkio on June 19, 2011, 12:01:11 pm
If you politely ask for a ban without breaking any rules, flaming, or trolling, it can be of any length greater than or equal to 24 hours.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Vell on June 19, 2011, 01:59:52 pm
I remember doing this frequently back in the day.

EDIT: For clarification, leaving for a period / asking to be banned / rescinding my mod position to take a break for various reasons.
Title: Avoiding Flamewars!!!
Post by: PhoenixFire on June 20, 2011, 09:59:28 am
So, to copy Blizzards intro...


"Due to recent events" I am writing this topic. I am not an admin, nor am I even a Mod. I used to be an Admin on a site before it's server crashed, but meh... getting off topic. So, point of this post, is to avoid flame wars.

If you start getting caught up in a thread that's "going south" really quick, I would suggest any, and all, of these tips:

1. Just because you didn't start it, doesn't mean you have to finish it!! Don't continue to insult or flame someone, just because they're doing it to you. It doesn't prove anything to anyone. Constructive criticism is one thing, even "borderline" comments may be acceptable, depending on their content, but outright insults and flaming is never productive.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it"


2. If you must say something, say it in a way that won't sound derogatory, insulting, oppressive, etc. You should be able to figure out a way to nicely tell someone they are wrong, or, point out they were rude, ungrateful, etc. in an acceptable tone (I know tone is hard to convey via text and message boards, but try).



3. If all else fails, DO NOT respond to put your two cents in. Just simply contact an Admin, Staff, etc. and get it resolved that way..  (They're allowed to flame without getting punished as much  :naughty:  ) If you have tried reasoning, kindness, and all that stuff, simply walk away and tell a staff member they need to banhammer resolve something.






I'm sure there's more to add to this post, but, it's a start. I'll edit as necessary.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Blizzard on June 20, 2011, 10:09:45 am
*merges topics*
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: PhoenixFire on June 20, 2011, 11:05:23 am
Ah, fair enough. I thought it might warrant a new stickied topic, just so it can be seen as it's own, rather than a topic reply, but you are the great master, so I shan't question your intentions  :yesmaster:
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Blizzard on June 20, 2011, 02:31:58 pm
I just want to add that mods are treated stricter than normal members if they break the rules. If in the most recent event the other members have not been mods, they would have gotten a 24 hour ban at worst. Since they were mods, I made it 3 days.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on June 20, 2011, 02:50:11 pm
What happened anyways?
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Twb6543 on June 20, 2011, 03:00:56 pm
Check Here (http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,9743.0.html)
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: The Niche on June 20, 2011, 04:48:18 pm
Dammit but that topic was fucking hilarious.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on June 20, 2011, 05:15:17 pm
Meh. I did better trolling back in my time, without being banned.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Blizzard on June 20, 2011, 05:16:57 pm
You can leave the link.

@Sub: Trolling != Flaming
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on June 20, 2011, 05:22:23 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on June 20, 2011, 05:16:57 pm
You can leave the link.

@Sub: Trolling != Flaming

I also did better flaming without being banned. Back in my days. Everything was better back then.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Blizzard on June 20, 2011, 05:25:26 pm
That's because you used to not do that stuff so you had some extra credit. Same with Tuggernuts. It took a while until he got banned for the first time. It was the same with RoseSkye. After the first time, it's easier to get banned, because the staff looks at it like "oh, he's acting up again, let's ban him till he cools off".

If you started a flame war right now, don't be so sure you would get away with just a warning or even only a short ban for that matter. After all, since the April 1st incident, you are on probation.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Aqua on June 21, 2011, 07:29:11 pm
I split the topic here because it went to mod talk... lol
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Vell on June 21, 2011, 08:33:59 pm
Aye, apologies about the derailing.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: winkio on June 21, 2011, 08:41:06 pm
Sorry, but I'd just like to say something about being banned.  It's not a good thing.  It makes you miss out on interactions with this community.  It makes this community miss out on interactions with you.  A lot of times, you have a choice between being banned, or taking a hit for the good of the community.  You can make the choice to put the community first, and your own behavior second, and not get banned.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Vell on June 21, 2011, 08:51:05 pm
Oh, I avoid being banned unintentionally... sometiems, though, my mood is too consistently vile or turbulent to be able to be a productive member of the board - and in some cases, it goes to the point where I can't help but be a negative force. So, if I can't keep myself away, I'll request a ban - those are the only circumstances. When otherwise, I'd get myself banned anyway, I'll step back and take a momentary break to come back in grace, rather than shame.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Blizzard on June 22, 2011, 04:28:00 am
Being banned is like being grounded. You don't like being grounded, do you? >8U
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: The Niche on June 27, 2011, 01:57:46 pm
Being banned is like being grounded. The only people who talk to you are your stalkers.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: SBR* on June 27, 2011, 03:41:33 pm
Being banned?! Oh dear, no :D!

EDIT: Well, I decided to throw my opinion out there to give this post a reason for existence (poor post):

Being banned has several bad things, e.g. you can't visit the site, or, perhaps more importantly, dependent on what kind of person you are, part of the community may start thinking differently about you. If people know you for a long time, it won't matter, but newcomers will probably think you're a mean, mean guy or girl... Or thing...

Besides, simply, nobody likes getting banned. It just doesn't feel right. That's why I try to avoid getting banned at all costs.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Spaceman McConaughey on June 27, 2011, 06:55:59 pm
Quote from: SBR* on June 27, 2011, 03:41:33 pm
Being banned?! Oh dear, no :D!

EDIT: Well, I decided to throw my opinion out there to give this post a reason for existence (poor post):

Being banned has several bad things, e.g. you can't visit the site, or, perhaps more importantly, dependent on what kind of person you are, part of the community may start thinking differently about you. If people know you for a long time, it won't matter, but newcomers will probably think you're a mean, mean guy or girl... Or thing...

Besides, simply, nobody likes getting banned. It just doesn't feel right. That's why I try to avoid getting banned at all costs.


The bolded text: I do not give two flying fucks what people on the internet think of me, especially newcomers. Didn't you see that when I relentlessly flamed them?

Also, I liked being banned. It made me feel naughty. :V:
But seriously, June is over, so my good eMood is back. Enjoy it.

EDIT: I was just forcibly woken up by Jesus in a hazmat suit, so bear with me.

What I mean is, I am done for good now with my newcomer lashing(I know, I said it before so you might not believe me.), so yes.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Blizzard on June 28, 2011, 02:16:45 am
Quote from: Tuggernuts on June 27, 2011, 06:55:59 pm
so bear with me.


That's the beauty of it: We don't have to, we can just ban you.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on June 28, 2011, 02:58:34 am
Just to throw this in: I once was perma-banned but people still think the same of me. Probably because it was to be expected... eh.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Spaceman McConaughey on June 28, 2011, 03:04:51 am
Quote from: Blizzard on June 28, 2011, 02:16:45 am
Quote from: Tuggernuts on June 27, 2011, 06:55:59 pm
so bear with me.


That's the beauty of it: We don't have to, we can just ban you.


I was talking about my lack of details in my post.

You wouldn't ban me for THAT... would you?
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Blizzard on June 28, 2011, 03:17:04 am
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on June 28, 2011, 02:58:34 am
Just to throw this in: I once was perma-banned but people still think the same of me. Probably because it was to be expected... eh.


I don't think so. I'd say you lost quite a bit of respect.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on June 28, 2011, 03:22:18 am
Quote from: Blizzard on June 28, 2011, 03:17:04 am
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on June 28, 2011, 02:58:34 am
Just to throw this in: I once was perma-banned but people still think the same of me. Probably because it was to be expected... eh.


I don't think so. I'd say you lost quite a bit of respect.

That's fine with me :) I don't get how i got any respect here to begin with. I mean, I hardly did anything productive.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Blizzard on June 28, 2011, 03:41:07 am
You still are quite the personality.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Spaceman McConaughey on June 28, 2011, 03:45:22 am
Well, I apparently lost respect as well.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Subsonic_Noise on June 28, 2011, 04:00:28 am
Quote from: Tuggernuts on June 28, 2011, 03:45:22 am
Well, I apparently lost respect as well.

It's ok, let's lose respect together.


:D
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Spaceman McConaughey on June 28, 2011, 04:03:22 am
Sounds good to me.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Tazero on July 18, 2011, 08:15:54 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on June 20, 2011, 05:25:26 pm
That's because you used to not do that stuff so you had some extra credit. Same with Tuggernuts. It took a while until he got banned for the first time. It was the same with RoseSkye. After the first time, it's easier to get banned, because the staff looks at it like "oh, he's acting up again, let's ban him till he cools off".

If you started a flame war right now, don't be so sure you would get away with just a warning or even only a short ban for that matter. After all, since the April 1st incident, you are on probation.

Why am I not on this list >:|
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Holyrapid on July 21, 2011, 04:18:41 pm
Wait, tell me, if you remember, but have i been banned here? I've once been banned back at RMF, but not sure if here...
So, just to jock my memory, tell me if i've been banned here? I personally don't member being banned, but then again though my memory is as good as an elephants, it's as short as a chickens flight.
Title: Re: Asking for a ban
Post by: Blizzard on July 21, 2011, 05:51:57 pm
The ban logs show nothing. But I did delete some of the logs over the years. Though, I don't believe you ever got banned. I remember that during a period of time you were ticking me off, but that was all.